S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Blue smoke after sitting for a few minutes

Old 10-30-2010, 09:41 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
Smile Blue smoke after sitting for a few minutes

Well today is the first time I noticed this. I have been told a couple times before when I was full throttle towards redline a little smoke came out once. I am vortech supercharged btw.
Today I started the car. Drove it yesterday so hasn't been sitting for a while.
I smelled oil so was looking for leaks and in the engine bay to see if it was smoking at all but then noticed it was coming out of the exhaust. For some reason was only coming out of the left site exit.
It has been idling already for a couple of minutes warming up before I noticed this as I was inside.
I throttled it a little bit and kinda billowed out. Looked very blue to me and smelled like oil smoke.
After it billowed out that time and revved it a little more it seemed to go away pretty much.
I have never noticed this before.
Does that sound like leaking valve seals? I know I should drive it more and see if this happens again and all but just wondering what it sounds like.
I do have a test pipe but have had one for years and haven't noticed this before. Burns a little bit of oil but not much at all. I have had the car 3 years and first time I have noticed this.
I did put Chevron techron fuel system cleaner in the gas a week or so ago but been through over a tank since then.
Old 10-31-2010, 07:49 AM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

AP1s suck oil through the PCV. More so when supercharged. Use catch can or krank vents.

After autocrossing before the catch can we'd always make little blue clouds in grid. Captain Pants had a nice picture of his stock AP1 doing the same thing.

Were you out hooning around before you put the car away?
Old 10-31-2010, 08:07 AM
Former Sponsor

Forgot about that issue. I don't think I was doing much crazy driving or anything really. Might have done a few highway pulls before parking it for the night though. I have a mini filter off the valve cover. Does that help vent it or anything really?
Old 11-10-2010, 04:26 PM
Former Sponsor

So happened again today. Seems like it happens after doing a hard pull or two on the highway. Did a 3rd to 5th gear pull and then when coming to a stop off the exit and giving it gas again saw it billow out some blue smoke.
So does that still seem like it is just sucking oil through the pcv? Never noticed this before the other day and now again today.
Did see a little drip spot of oil in my garage. Very slow drip whatever it is but that would have nothing to do with oil in the combustion chamber I am sure.
So what would be the signs that it is leaky valve seals?
Old 11-11-2010, 10:06 AM
Former Sponsor

I did a compression test just before. Engine warm, wot etc.
Came out very good. 224-224-223-224
Today I started the car up first time and zero smoke or anything.
Drove a few miles away and parked for 10 minutes as I was in the auto parts store.
Came out started it up and plumes of blue smoke out the exhaust.
After driving for a couple of minutes it went away again.
Does this sound like it is my valve seal then?
I checked my sc and no shaft plan and no oil anywhere.
Spark plugs look good. A little bit of oil around the spark plugs but the oil can't get into the head with the spark plugs installed I wouldn't believe.
Old 11-11-2010, 07:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to be one to tell you this, but your piston rings are seeping oil into the combustion chamber and mixing with the air/fuel creating blue smoke. If it was your valve seals leaking you would only see white/grey smoke, oil burning smell.
Old 11-11-2010, 07:41 PM
Former Sponsor

Even with perfect compression? Also white smoke is not from piston rings it is from coolant..
There is blue, black and white smoke. Blue is from oil.
Old 11-11-2010, 09:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry. Haven't gotten much sleep 3 hours to be exact. Had to take my gf to the Usher concert yesterday. Let me re-phrase. White/coolant. Blue/piston rings/valve seals. How many miles is on your S? Do a leak down test. Valve seals are easy if you have a compressor and the adapter to shoot air through the spark plug holes keeping your valves from falling while replacing seals. If your valves so happens to fall a leak is detected. Bad valve/seating etc. If that doesn't fix the problem check the rings. Hope this helps.
Old 11-12-2010, 12:16 AM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

As far as I know you test for leaking valve stem seals by going on throttle to off throttle (engine braking) for a couple of seconds and then on throttle again.
If you see blue smoke = bad valve stem seals.
But.. during off throttle / engine braking (= high vacuum intake) you could also get oil in the intake via te PCV.
Maybe block or disconnect (on both sides!) the PCV to rule it out?
First do the test without the PCV connected, then with?

During a compression / leakdown test the valves are closed (they should be ) so they take over from the valve stem seals.
So you test the rings and valves.

Old 11-12-2010, 07:36 AM
Former Sponsor

Ok so since the compression test came out good it probably wouldn't be the valves or the rings correct?
My car has a lot of miles 136k or so now and supercharged.
I have noticed smoke since yesterday when I put the supra PCV in but I only saw smoke every once in a while before. It wasn't a regular thing.
Doesn't seem to happen when I let of the gas really. If I would give more gas seems like it would go away more and then light gas would give more smoke.

Quick Reply: Blue smoke after sitting for a few minutes