S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

blown shocks?

Old 10-03-2006, 11:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks so much guys. i will jack up the car today and check if i can see the spring spacers. hopefully that is the problem

Which mounting bolts could be loose? the ones that are under the hood? sorry im not very knowledgable when it comes to suspension
Old 10-03-2006, 01:53 PM

alright, well i checked the shocks and they do not have spring spacers. i also tried tightening the bolts under hood connected to the shock but they were already tight. whatya think, blown shocks?
Old 10-03-2006, 02:21 PM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

With one (or both) front wheel(s) up in the air you could "wiggle" it a bit to see if anything on the suspension feels loose.
Make sure the car is stable on jack stands!
With the weight of the car off the suspension you may feel something.
Low km cars could have a faulty shock, not lileky though.
Rough roads where the car was driven before?

Or go to a shop that sells shock aborbers and has a test bench.
Maybe they can reproduce the noise during a test and advice you.

Old 10-03-2006, 05:18 PM

Tein Flex are a great Matched coilover set that will give you best bang for the buck IMHO
Old 10-03-2006, 06:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I blew a stock shock with in 2000miles of owning my car to.
Old 10-03-2006, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by hecash,Oct 4 2006, 01:31 AM
The bushing bolts in the upper and lower a-arms on both the front and the back are not at all well protected from the elements, especially where the roads are salted or sanded in winter. The bushing bolt fuses inside the metal sleeve at the center of the bushing causing the whole bushing to shift resulting in a substantial "clunk."

It's a PITA, but, you'll probably need to have the bolt cut through on both sides of the suspension mount to release the bushing from the mount unless you are very lucky and able to hammer the bolt out. There is not a lot of room to get equipment up in there to do any hammering.
a possiblity!

This is a well documented problem in the UK, the owners club has taken this up with Honda directly as we have ~30 cars with seized bush issues.
Old 10-04-2006, 07:13 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

a clunk to me doesn't mean blown shock for the most part. signs of a blown shock: excess oil on the piston, lack of damping.. i.e. you go over a bump and the car floats/bounces. you might hear a creak, but not a clunk unless the shock is so far gone that its bottoming out or the tire is hitting something. I've blown 3 Koni yellows! no shock is safe from me!
Old 11-21-2006, 02:25 PM

Struts don't have to be leak to be no good. Nor do they have to have excessive play. They can make clunking noises without any other symptoms. I believe (after hearing it) that you car either has a bad strut, or a bad sway bar link. It only happens over the tiniest, sharp bumps, so its one of those two. Its not the sort of noise that happens around corners, so its not loose bolts or problem bushings.

To check sway bar links, lift the front end up and let the wheels droop. then grab the ends of the sway bar (one at a time obviously) and use as much force as you can up and down. See if there's any play there. Any is too much.
Old 11-21-2006, 07:32 PM

my driver side strut leaked out all the oil already,its time for koni yellows.
Old 11-22-2006, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by nibble,Oct 2 2006, 10:17 AM
there aren't any general rule which one is better between yellow koni and bilstein pss. it's the preference and purpose of the car determines it. if you want be able to fully adjust for track and driving condition, go with bilstein. if you want some bling part and have stickers to show, go with bilstein. all you want is just driving around town, get koni yellow or stock. you can pick up used stock shock for pretty cheap.
I think you have it backwards if anything. Bilsteins are known for their ride comfort, but the spring rates are on the soft side for track use - that's the main reason I passed on them.

Konis are also comfy enough for street use, but you have countless spring options (esp. w/ GC coilovers) to suit your needs from comfy street cruising to track use.

Quick Reply: blown shocks?