S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Blown Headgasket at 38k miles?!?

Old 06-09-2007, 05:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blown Headgasket at 38k miles?!?

So i just bought an 04 berlina s2k from a member off this board and barely get it home and it appears the headgasket is blown. Was on my way to edmonton when all of a sudden the temperature rose on the gauge and started spitting antifreeze and steam out from under the hood. Pulled over immediately and popped the hood to find the small line that went to the over flow resovouir had blown off and was blowing steam and a almost pasty creamy white substance out of it. With alot of force. To me it looked like the antifreeze had mixed with the oil and compression from the engine was getting into the coolant system causing the high pressure there. Now this car is an 04 with an inservice date of Sept. '04 and has just over 38,000 miles on it. I've owned a number of S2000's in my past and I have always been told by honda dealers that these cars had a 5yr/60k miles drivetrain warranty on them, but now i talk to honda today and they say that the drivetrain is only covered under the normal bumper-to-bumper 3yr/36k mile warranty. Up in Canada I know for a fact that all S2000's along with all other hondas have always carried a 5yr/60k mile warranty on all driveline parts.
Old 06-09-2007, 06:01 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the problem with a used car is that you can't really tell how it was used, no comment with the bad experience with your local honda dealer, I personally never have any luck with them myself.

check the ph leve of the coolant

pressure check

compression and leakdow test?

GL with it, btw did the "guy" sold you the car mention anything about it?
Old 06-09-2007, 06:11 PM

Did the car have forced induction at any point?
Old 06-09-2007, 06:15 PM

No, no mention of anything. Everything checked out when i picked it up. I'm just learning now that it was SC'd for 3k miles. I was under the impression that it had been fully stock its entire life.
Old 06-09-2007, 07:07 PM

talked with owner, was SC'd from 20-23k, now has 38k, so that shouldn't really have been the trouble.
Old 06-09-2007, 07:17 PM

Wasn't Honda willing to do a "good will" out of warranty repair. V-6 equip Honda Accord owners with blown transmissions have been able to get their transmissions replaced out of warranty.
Old 06-09-2007, 09:39 PM

Don't 100% know yet. Just happened yesterday night. Talked to a service guy but he wasn't very helpful. Going to talk to my service advisor on Monday, hopefully he'll be able to work something out. Its soo close to warranty i don't think it should be a problem. least i hope not!!
Old 06-10-2007, 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by chino101,Jun 9 2007, 07:17 PM
Wasn't Honda willing to do a "good will" out of warranty repair. V-6 equip Honda Accord owners with blown transmissions have been able to get their transmissions replaced out of warranty.
you are only half right, honda extended their warranty on 6th gen accord because they make a huge mistake designing the tranny. one of the part is wearing prematurely and nothing short of a rebuilt will fix it. The 4 cylinder tranny also have their share of problem with the linear shift solenoid, but at a much limited scope compare to the v6 auto slush box.

there's nothing is free and honda dealer don't get to pay as much if the job/repair is done under "warranty" or "hondacare", if they can sway you to pay out of your pocket, they will.
Old 06-10-2007, 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by lude2S,Jun 9 2007, 09:39 PM
Don't 100% know yet. Just happened yesterday night. Talked to a service guy but he wasn't very helpful. Going to talk to my service advisor on Monday, hopefully he'll be able to work something out. Its soo close to warranty i don't think it should be a problem. least i hope not!!
Good luck with that, if they can find trait of previous FI history, they probably will make you pay for the whole thing.

i would be seriously pissed off if the owner before me boosted the car and not make it 110% clear about it.

are you looking at 300 buck job there(?) if only thing wrong is the HG
Old 06-10-2007, 08:55 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well usually when the HG goes, the coolant can score the head, so it could potentially be a 2k+

Quick Reply: Blown Headgasket at 38k miles?!?