S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Blown Engine

Old 01-09-2006, 08:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you had a catch can I bet it would have been filled, Was the breather attached to the intake elbow, I am curious if you had oil in your intake as well? ( from the filter-blower,back ) When I lost my motor I had finished a track day and was using more oil than usual and two days later on the highway just cruising I had my failure. Cylinder #2
My plug was intact but I had ring fragments and I assumed I ran into a lean condition or detonation
This was on a Comptech with 7 pounds of boost.

Old 01-09-2006, 09:49 AM

RWD_RCKT

What plugs? Denso IK24's?
Old 01-09-2006, 09:50 AM

[QUOTE]my guess is detonation.
Old 01-09-2006, 09:54 AM

Since the piston is melted, that would be a timing/detonation issue.
Hmm, the piston looks fractured to me. Didn't consider that the corner being gone was from melting.

Do you think the plug broke apart, chipped the ring land... and then high RPM load melted the piston right where it was chipped?
This is a combination of what we were thinking at first and what you said above. The question is how can we tell what happened first?

[QUOTE]The spark plug breaking out should have caused some mechanical damage somewhere else?
Old 01-09-2006, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Fyrestrike,Jan 9 2006, 10:54 AM
Hmm, the piston looks fractured to me. Didn't consider that the corner being gone was from melting.
The piston looks way too rounded for it to be chipped. That is unless it chipped, and you continued running it long enough for it to melt? Did you sense any power loss before? Did you hear any "bad sounds" before?

They usually cure pistons (a case hardening of sorts... but not sure if the S2000 does it). So once the inside portion is accessible, that area is more susceptible to heat. And things go from worse to FUGLY in the quickness.
Old 01-09-2006, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by Fyrestrike,Jan 9 2006, 10:54 AM

This is a combination of what we were thinking at first and what you said above. The question is how can we tell what happened first?

We haven't dropped the pan yet to see where the fragment is because the engine is going to be sent out for sleeving anyway. A quick inspection shows 0 valve damage, including any scratches from a sparkplug tip passing through.
My money is on plug failure from detonation.
Either way the outcome is not a desirable one.

If it were my engine, I would do a few things:

1) Check the pan for california gold rush sized flakes of bronze bearing material.

2) Have an engine machinist inspect the crank journals and the crank itself for
trueness. The sleeve installer could/will probably do it along with the block journals.

3) Remove the valves and check for trueness. A bent valve may not show up until after the re-build. You will have to tear the head off again if a guide wgets destroyed from an out of round stem that caused high leak down numbers.

Just saying to check everything thoroughly while the car is down.
Old 01-09-2006, 10:43 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

FWIW the S2000 has forged pistons
Old 01-09-2006, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by RWD_RCKT,Jan 9 2006, 11:04 AM
They usually cure pistons (a case hardening of sorts... but not sure if the S2000 does it). So once the inside portion is accessible, that area is more susceptible to heat. And things go from worse to FUGLY in the quickness.
We have something that appears to be low friction coating.
Old 01-09-2006, 01:16 PM

Oh Shit. I just saw this. I bet it had something to do with plug failure. When I had my denso fail it had the same black ring around the porcelin part. Man and you just got it set right.
Old 01-09-2006, 02:14 PM

If you had a catch can I bet it would have been filled, Was the breather attached to the intake elbow, I am curious if you had oil in your intake as well?
I forgot to mention the Cusco Catch Can (my apologies) which was connected between the PCV valve and the intake manifold. There was very little oil in it, no more than normal. The intake elbow hole is vented to the atmosphere, it's possible that some of the oil in the engine bay came out of there.

Quick Reply: Blown Engine