S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Blown engine?

Old 02-22-2021, 04:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blown engine?

I have a MY05 with 171k on it. Bought the car around six months ago. I haven’t really had any problems with the car up until 2 days ago. I filled up my tank and was cruising around (not really doing any pulls) when I started misfiring. Car was able to make it home under low RPMs, but the whole was home it smelled like death lol (no way to explain the smell other than like extreme garlic/almost gasoline smell). I used my OBD scanner and it gave me codes for Clyinder 2 misfire, Cylinder 4 misfire, and a random misfire. Today I went and bought some spark plugs are the local store and swapped them in. After installing, I swapped the 2&4 coil packs with the 1&3 coil packs to see if I’ll get a new code for cylinder 1&3 (checking to see if they were bad coil packs) when I started it up just now, car still has that same horrendous smell and is now throwing code for cylinder 1,2&4 misfire as well as a random misfire again. Should I buy all new coil packs or do you guys think this motors is toast??

UPDATE: after analyzing the car more, I decided to star the car back up and see if maybe i was jusr running rich. the car started up and sounded better, but when i revved the car it did not sound great and seemed to still be misfiring.

Last edited by Caydenxfilippi; 02-22-2021 at 05:48 PM.
Old 02-22-2021, 05:09 PM

Received 212 Likes on 183 Posts

I'm no big expert. In fact I have little knowledge. But you need to do some better diagnostics.

First, catalytic converter smell is something like rotten eggs. Kind of sulfuric.

Second, is it possible you got a tank of diesel fuel? That might not react too well with the catalytic converter. .

Smell your oil. If it smells like gasoline (or diesel), STOP. Don't run the engine. You oil will be compromised.

Do a compression test to see if you still have compression. Then a leak down test. Then check your timing.

And I wouldn't be running the engine. It might not be toast now, but it might be if you keep running it.

The following users liked this post:
windhund116 (02-22-2021)
Old 02-22-2021, 05:20 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,533 Likes on 1,037 Posts

Sounds like a case of bad gas (fuel, that is).
Old 02-22-2021, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by blueosprey90
I'm no big expert. In fact I have little knowledge. But you need to do some better diagnostics.

First, catalytic converter smell is something like rotten eggs. Kind of sulfuric.

Second, is it possible you got a tank of diesel fuel? That might not react too well with the catalytic converter. .

Smell your oil. If it smells like gasoline (or diesel), STOP. Don't run the engine. You oil will be compromised.

Do a compression test to see if you still have compression. Then a leak down test. Then check your timing.

And I wouldn't be running the engine. It might not be toast now, but it might be if you keep running it.

I just smelled my oil cap, and it seems like im getting some gas smell. cant really smell into the actual engine but from the cap it seems like theres some gas in it. its not a crazy pungent gasoline smell, but does worry me a bit.
n
Old 02-23-2021, 06:09 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,232 Likes on 1,076 Posts

"Not really doing any pulls" tells me the opposite.

Bad fuel is a suspect since this started soon after a fill. Drain the engine oil. Send a sample to Blackstone Labs. Don't drive the car until you know what happened.

-- Chuck
Old 02-23-2021, 08:09 AM

Received 1,377 Likes on 1,029 Posts

Basic diagnosis first, before replacing an engine.

Maybe it needs coil packs. Buy Denso ones from rockauto.

Buy a fresh set of plugs while you are at it.

Do a compression test.

etc.

Typically, one doesn't just jump to a blown engine conclusion without just cause. Breaking this engine takes some catastrophic event. So...ask a lot of questions.
Old 02-23-2021, 08:10 AM

Received 1,377 Likes on 1,029 Posts

Originally Posted by Caydenxfilippi
I just smelled my oil cap, and it seems like im getting some gas smell. cant really smell into the actual engine but from the cap it seems like theres some gas in it. its not a crazy pungent gasoline smell, but does worry me a bit.
n
How old is the oil? Old oil in a car that does a lot of short trips or idling will smell like gas. Old oil in any car will smell like gas.
Old 02-23-2021, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by B serious
How old is the oil? Old oil in a car that does a lot of short trips or idling will smell like gas. Old oil in any car will smell like gas.
Oil only has like 1300-1400 miles on it. Not too bad
Old 02-23-2021, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by Chuck S
"Not really doing any pulls" tells me the opposite.

Bad fuel is a suspect since this started soon after a fill. Drain the engine oil. Send a sample to Blackstone Labs. Don't drive the car until you know what happened.

-- Chuck
nah. I’m mean other than a small rev up to like 5-6k i wasn’t banging gears at all. I’m regaining from doing any pills since my rear hubs need replaced. I’m starting to suspect its the gas. Just is super weird. I usually fill up at a local off brand place but this recent tank I bought at a Chevron... wouldn’t think chevron would do that but idk
Old 02-23-2021, 11:10 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,232 Likes on 1,076 Posts

5000-6000rpm is where this engine lives. Normal driving.

I assume premium grade fuel? Surprisingly there have been questions here from a couple of folks who didn't know the S2000 requires at least 91 octane. Last fill before this was?

-- Chuck

Quick Reply: Blown engine?