S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Blown differential?

Old 12-19-2011, 06:57 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

...with whatever gear ratio you want, installed. For $5K he may bring the diff to your house and install it
Old 12-20-2011, 04:35 AM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

WOW....$2k for used with 74k miles I'm guessing the dealer is padding the bill since there is an insurance warranty. $5 for a new differential installed is about the average number I hear form people.
Don’t let them install a mystery junk yard rear in your car.

I build and ship a stock reconditioned rear for $800 and a very nice performance built rear for $1,560 shipped....I do build for some Honda dealers if you want to get back with me
Old 12-20-2011, 05:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi all,

Update from Honda dealer, Honda care has approved the differential change. So it seems I'll be getting a new differential for just the deductible on Honda care ($100). The differential has to come from California. So the car will be in the shop till X'mas.

Moreover they are giving me a rental for 4 days (on Honda care)

Thanks for all your support. I was really worried seeing the $5k quote.

Puddydad/Billman, There was times yesterday night while I seriously thought of shipping the car out to you guys. Doing the math, I thought Shipping + built diff install should come within $3-4k.
Old 12-20-2011, 05:51 AM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by suzuka_indy
Hi all,

Update from Honda dealer, Honda care has approved the differential change. So it seems I'll be getting a new differential for just the deductible on Honda care ($100). The differential has to come from California. So the car will be in the shop till X'mas.

Puddydad/Billman, There was times yesterday night while I seriously thought of shipping the car out to you guys. Doing the math, I thought Shipping + built diff install should come within $3-4k.

That is great news but, be sure you are getting a "new" rear diff and not a "new to you" (used)rear. Also be sure the fill the rear with the right oil and amount.....good luck
Old 12-20-2011, 05:52 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Update from dealar. The differential sprung a leak and lost all oil.
No mechanical damage found on the diff, The tech suspects the seals blew and lost all oil.
Did the mech happen to mention if the breather tube was clogged?
Old 12-20-2011, 05:59 AM

Indymac :- I'lll check with the dealer about the breather tube.
Puddydad :- I'm pretty sure I heard I new differential (I'll check still), Moreover Hondacare allows replacement only with new or reman parts.

Update:- They are replacing with a brand new differential.
Regarding the breather tube, the tech told he'll inspect once the diff is out.
Old 12-20-2011, 07:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,

Good to hear that you are getting a new differential but you might want to check if you really have to pay the deductible fee.

I had the Honda Care extended warranty (7 yrs/100,000 miles) for my 2001 Civic and I had to replace the driver's seat under regular 3 yrs / 36,000 mile warranty and rear shock absorbers under the Honda Care but I did not pay the deductible for either replacements.

Deductible sounds not right because it sounds like if the repair was under $100 then you pay out of your packet, just like the auto insurance. You might want to check your honda care agreement. Just my thought...
Old 12-20-2011, 07:42 PM

Received 3,543 Likes on 2,545 Posts

Nice warranty coverage by Honda, that is good to see in this age where many warranty claims get denied by other manufacturers. Though I think poor Honda is covering the mistake made by other parties with that last differential fill you got done, they probably failed to tighten plugs properly or didn't use proper washers, I don't think the fluid had anything to do with that. All the best with the new unit, don't let the last guys touch your new diff. once it's on the road again.
Old 12-21-2011, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by 08S2000
Originally Posted by suzuka_indy' timestamp='1324392208' post='21250683
Hi all,

Good to hear that you are getting a new differential but you might want to check if you really have to pay the deductible fee.

I had the Honda Care extended warranty (7 yrs/100,000 miles) for my 2001 Civic and I had to replace the driver's seat under regular 3 yrs / 36,000 mile warranty and rear shock absorbers under the Honda Care but I did not pay the deductible for either replacements.

Deductible sounds not right because it sounds like if the repair was under $100 then you pay out of your packet, just like the auto insurance. You might want to check your honda care agreement. Just my thought...

My 5 year 60k powertrain warranty has expired. I could try to get a goodwill warranty and waive off deductible, But I don't think $100 is worth a fight.
Old 12-21-2011, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by JFUSION
Nice warranty coverage by Honda, that is good to see in this age where many warranty claims get denied by other manufacturers. Though I think poor Honda is covering the mistake made by other parties with that last differential fill you got done, they probably failed to tighten plugs properly or didn't use proper washers, I don't think the fluid had anything to do with that. All the best with the new unit, don't let the last guys touch your new diff. once it's on the road again.
Unfortunately, I'm at a place where there is only one Honda dealer (Columbus , IN). So the guy who did the last diff fill , is installing my diff.

I plan to take it to Indianapolis or Louisville KY and get one more diff service at a reputed dealer. Can somebody from the area suggest some good dealers who can work on S2k's.

Since I have another 3 years and 39k miles left on the warranty- I think I'll keep it stock & dealer services till then. Or atleast till I pay it off.

Quick Reply: Blown differential?