S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Blown cylinder head

Old 06-05-2012, 08:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by blasphemy101
Not trying to come off the wrong way, but I hate to see people talking themselves into expensive replacements when repairs/rebuilds are all that's necessary. If someone told you that you "blew the head" when you downshifted, ask for a more accurate explanation of the problem, and bring that information here, to the site.

There are plenty of people here with the knowledge to guide you in the right direction. Sometimes, a replacement is absolutely necessary. More often than not, there is a cheaper and just as satisfactory solution.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:52 AM

no i completely understand and i am a mechanic myself, i plan on just rebuilding the current head with aftermarket parts, titanium valves, cams and such but if just for backup i wanteed to know if i would be able to just buy one if it comes down to it, its my daily driver
Old 06-05-2012, 08:52 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PaGEmaZt3r
thats what i figured but my situation isnt easy, im military and while on leave in my homestate 14 hours away from my duty station this occured so my car is sitting in missouri while im in texas, i have a friend that is a honda tech in which will fix it while im gone and we both think i probably bent all the valves and im hoping they didntdrop on the cylinders and tear the bottom end up, we will see
Definitely crossing my fingers for you man! That sucks that you have to be so far away while you work things out. If you didn't drop any valves and damage the cylinder or bottom of the head, just have the head pulled and the valves replaced. The AP2 retainer swap (which there is plenty of information on this site about) is always a good idea, too.

I have no idea how the bottom end fairs at those RPMs though, but during an over-rev they're pretty brief...
Old 06-05-2012, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by PaGEmaZt3r' timestamp='1338914859' post='21755981
thats what i figured but my situation isnt easy, im military and while on leave in my homestate 14 hours away from my duty station this occured so my car is sitting in missouri while im in texas, i have a friend that is a honda tech in which will fix it while im gone and we both think i probably bent all the valves and im hoping they didntdrop on the cylinders and tear the bottom end up, we will see
Definitely crossing my fingers for you man! That sucks that you have to be so far away while you work things out. If you didn't drop any valves and damage the cylinder or bottom of the head, just have the head pulled and the valves replaced. The AP2 retainer swap (which there is plenty of information on this site about) is always a good idea, too.

I have no idea how the bottom end fairs at those RPMs though, but during an over-rev they're pretty brief...
Old 06-05-2012, 08:55 AM

i know it happened 4 days ago and im still shitting my pants..hopefullly its a quick valve and retainer swap but i just hope to god i didnt dend or throw any rods or snap a piston head, we will see, my buddy is pulling the head tonight to take a look

no i completely understand and i am a mechanic myself, i plan on just rebuilding the current head with aftermarket parts, titanium valves, cams and such but if just for backup i wanteed to know if i would be able to just buy one if it comes down to it, its my daily driver
Oh, okay I gotcha. Heads pop up for sale semi-often. I would probably go with one of those, just because of the cost. Buying someone's head for well under $1k and then dropping performance cams/valves/retainers in for ~$800 beats Honda's price for a brand new head in my book.

Originally Posted by PaGEmaZt3r' timestamp='1338915133' post='21756001
Oh, okay I gotcha. Heads pop up for sale semi-often. I would probably go with one of those, just because of the cost. Buying someone's head for well under $1k and then dropping performance cams/valves/retainers in for ~$800 beats Honda's price for a brand new head in my book.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:56 AM

thank you so much, ypu were a great help!
Old 06-05-2012, 08:58 AM

No problemo. Definitely get a second opinion, though - I talk out of my ass A LOT (going to regret saying that ) post up the progress. There are plenty of people happy to add their $0.02
Old 06-05-2012, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by PaGEmaZt3r' timestamp='1338915364' post='21756019
No problemo. Definitely get a second opinion, though - I talk out of my ass A LOT (going to regret saying that ) post up the progress. There are plenty of people happy to add their $0.02

Quick Reply: Blown cylinder head