S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

block your throttle body coolant

Old 08-26-2005, 10:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wisconsin S2k,Aug 21 2005, 07:11 PM
blocking the coolant passage will get you 0 horsepower. and really, blocking the coolant passage won't really do anything positive for you regardless. again, if there was some advantage to this (and honda isn't the only one who has these coolant passages in the TB), they would have put a valve in that would shut off coolant flow after the car was warmed up. this "mod" has been around long enough, with claims ranging from "better" throttle response, to less heat soak, to more horsepower. all of which are false. if this could help heat soak or heat bog from idling, engineers would have taken advantage of this already. instead, the only engineers i've seen talk about this "mod", point out the fact that it's nothing but bunk.

the only reason the hondata head gasket does it, is because it's just kinda the icing on the cake, since it's trying to block as much heat in any way it can. that could be slightly useful there, since it's already blocking a lot of heat from the engine. where as without the hondata gasket, it's pissing on a forest fire to try and put it out.
So...there's no possibilty that your God-like Honda engineers could have overlooked something?! Egads! Can you imagine that a Honda engineer could have been .....uhhh....WRONG?

Sorry for the sarcasm, but Honda's engineers are merely human and to suggest that they would have known beforehand about ANY potential problem is at best naive.
Old 08-26-2005, 06:29 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.E.G.,Aug 26 2005, 09:27 AM
i too have heard that it exists to warm the air in cold weather, as well as to keep the throttle from literally freezing in cold weather.
it does help prevent it from freezing.

however it does NOT heat up the air. as stated, the TB does not have enough surface air compared to flow volume to acheive this.
Old 08-26-2005, 06:32 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ol' dood,Aug 26 2005, 12:02 PM
Sorry for the sarcasm, but Honda's engineers are merely human and to suggest that they would have known beforehand about ANY potential problem is at best naive.

this "mod" has been around for YEARS. so this "problem" has been around for years as well. therefore, no foresight would need be involved. not to mention it doesn't just involve honda engineers. it involves just about every manufacturer, including domestics.

regardless, the placebo effect, as slowS2k stated, is sometimes the best "free" mod there is.
Old 08-26-2005, 11:30 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

hmmm...when aircraft are mentioned...I think...I'm a pilot, and student pilot. I do have my license and am about to start training for my multi rating in PA-44 Seminole's which have carbs, and carb heat.

The carb heat is never used in start-up...so you know, I have been studying the procedures...it is only tested to make sure it works in the engine run-up and it is expected and you must look for a drop in rpms (loss of power) with the carb heat turned on...its primary function is as an anti-ice

*edit - although again, I did not notice a difference doing this "mod" to my car...there was a short placebo affect but I told myself it was just that, and again it feels just like it used to (placebo takes a day or a few to wear off) all I thought I felt was better low end response and a little torquier (sp?) down low. Anyway, again, no diff felt with this mod done...for me...even bogging issues, but I never really had any, anyway
Old 08-27-2005, 07:55 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Silver9k,Aug 27 2005, 12:30 AM
hmmm...when aircraft are mentioned...I think...I'm a pilot, and student pilot. I do have my license and am about to start training for my multi rating in PA-44 Seminole's which have carbs, and carb heat.

The carb heat is never used in start-up...so you know, I have been studying the procedures...it is only tested to make sure it works in the engine run-up and it is expected and you must look for a drop in rpms (loss of power) with the carb heat turned on...its primary function is as an anti-ice
I believe you are right. It's been a long time since I took flying lessons (never finished) but if memory serves me correctly, carb heat was always activated prior to take off, during take off and landing. It is here that an engine failure has the most devastating consequences. Since you live in AZ, this practice may not be standard procedure.
Old 08-27-2005, 04:18 PM

Well...we don't exactly use it since humidity is normally very low...however like everybody else we are taught when icing conditions are the most dangerous and also what it would feel like if an engine was starting to die do to icing conidition...

Anyway, don't know if you've heard of Embry-Riddle, but thats where I'm going
Old 09-25-2005, 05:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To do or not to do?It barely gets colder than 100F over here....
Old 09-26-2005, 07:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did this mod several weeks ago and thought I'd post that it is working well for me. My car would frequently bog (badly) after sitting at a light for several minuets. It has done this since new. This irritating effect is now almost completely gone. No longer are those soccer moms in there SUV's taking me at every stop light.
I've waited to post for awhile to ensure against the placebo effect but in my case this was definitely unnecessary as the difference in reduced bogging is extreme enough to be very obvious.

JeffA
Old 09-26-2005, 11:04 AM

I do have a question...wouldn't probably be better on the system to just run a new piece of hose from the one end that supplies coolant to the exit and then to the other and cap off the ends on the TB...otherwise, could this be blocking coolant to other places, you know. And it should still work that way
Old 09-26-2005, 11:43 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

jakub2000
To do or not to do?It barely gets colder than 100F over here.
I can't answer as I don't have any experience with FI motors but I would think your Intake Air Temps are controlled by the turbo and intercooler. Try It and let us know what happens, add to the knowledge base

av8ing..... Thank you for the feedback, I would think you could leave them in year round in CA. I would check after a while for corrosion of the steel

silver9k
I do have a question...wouldn't probably be better on the system to just run a new piece of hose from the one end that supplies coolant to the exit and then to the other and cap off the ends on the TB...otherwise, could this be blocking coolant to other places, you know. And it should still work that way
That sounds like a even better idea,although if you follow the lines you will se that the hose feeds the throttle body and the Intake Air Controller and then goes to the thermostat housing for recurculation. Try your Idea and let us know how it goes

I will be removing my balls in a couple of weeks as the chance of 90++ weather has passed here. OK lets keep it clean!!

Pete

Quick Reply: block your throttle body coolant