S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

block your throttle body coolant

Old 08-24-2005, 11:52 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Ya, I did this yesterday...doesn't really feel any different to me, and its only 70 out so...ehh...I wasn't expecting it too though, what I'm expecting is that after doing the hondata, blocking coolant to the intake mani, blocking coolant to TB, and wrapping the intake piping in heat wrap...all that combined should cause a small difference
Old 08-25-2005, 01:31 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 469 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by NFRS2kSi,Aug 22 2005, 12:05 PM
hmmm, goofy stuff...
what do u mean i have been posting goofy stuff....

i'll admit, i screw'ed up this time.... i thought this was something to do w/ evap hehehe sorry.
For Xviper!!!
As the old saying goes:
"You can fool some of the people,some of the time,but not all of the people,all of the time"

Old 08-25-2005, 09:04 PM

Received 118 Likes on 68 Posts

you could also plumb it with an open/close valve also available from ace hardware, and then all you will have to do is turn a valve or series of valves to cut off or return flw to the throttle body
Old 08-25-2005, 09:07 PM

i mean a two way valve
Old 08-25-2005, 09:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if not having coolant in the TB is a good thing why is it there in the first place?
Old 08-25-2005, 10:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^ good question

i'm guessing it's to warm up the motor in colder climate? i read somewhere that contrary to popular belief, warmer air gives you better MPG. can anyone back this statement up?
Old 08-26-2005, 07:15 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i'm guessing it's to warm up the motor in colder climate?

I agree, IMHO Honda has to design a car that will operate anywhere in the world and that has to meet emission standards, getting the Intake Air temp up quickly helps in achieving these goals unfortunately I feel it creates a small driveability problem under high ambient heat conditions (read heat bog). This mod eliminated the bog on my car, I don't think it increased the HP , it made it easier to drive in hot WX.
Pete
Old 08-26-2005, 07:27 AM

i too have heard that it exists to warm the air in cold weather, as well as to keep the throttle from literally freezing in cold weather.

if i had to guess i would assume that honda figured the loss in air density and ultimately horse power would be acceptable when compared to the advantages that they get from adding this feature.
Old 08-26-2005, 07:32 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by spoiled@21,Aug 25 2005, 10:18 PM
if not having coolant in the TB is a good thing why is it there in the first place?
You only observe the "down" side of it. It's not always a "good" thing.
Remember "carb heat"? We don't have a carb but the principle is the same. Air rushing past small spaces, like a nearly closed throttle plate or the Idle Air Intake passages will condense the moisture held in air. Even in dry, cool areas, this small amount of moisture can make intake operation and idling very difficult. Starting an engine cold and running an engine right after a cold startup (even in hot climates) requires a rich mixture and an elevated idle rpm just to keep the thing running smoothly. Warming up the throttle plate and the surrounding area assists in a quicker and more efficient warm up.
The water jacket around the TB is for this purpose. This same water circuit that goes through the IAC mechanism acts more like a sensor than it is to heat up the IAC device. As long as the IAC senses cold water, it will keep the rpms elevated.
You guys who live in a hot climate year round won't ever notice the benefit from any of this because the initial cold start running parameters is so short lived. For those who run this car in temperate and cold climates, that first morning start up would be a nightmare without this system.

ps. The engine warms itself. There's a lot of fire and brimstone going on inside. It's the TB that's needs to be warmed up quickly.
pps. Aircraft engines must all have some form of intake heating device in order to comply with aviation operations.
Old 08-26-2005, 07:43 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You guys who live in a hot climate year round won't ever notice the benefit from any of this because the initial cold start running parameters is so short lived

Great post Dave, even with this mod my car returns to normal idle within 2-3 minutes of a cold start. Maybe we should change the title of the post to Hot WX mod for people south of CHicago
Pete
It hasn't been below 70f here for a long time

Quick Reply: block your throttle body coolant