S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

blew my motor

Old 04-24-2007, 09:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default blew my motor

ok, a week ago my car broke down on me on the highway. I had a spirited drive and took it to 8-9k a couple of times but nothing out of the ordinary. while going 60-65mph the car sputtered and shot off. I didnt know what it could be but i wasnt able to get it started. I thought maybe the alternator or something simple but that wasnt the case. Apparently a spark plug broke in half, went thru the head and into the block . I asked the guy at the dealer what can cause that and he told me " u must have reved the crap out of it" . Now im waiting for Honda Care to go in and look and the car and see if they will cover the repair. im obvioulsy nervous because the rep is already kinda blamming me for what happened. So, my question is what else can cause this to happen? any ideas?
Old 04-24-2007, 10:02 AM

Did you happen to notice what brand of spark plug was being used when they pulled them out?
Old 04-24-2007, 10:05 AM

nope, i havent even been to the dealer since i took the car in
Old 04-24-2007, 10:17 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Look around in the TSB listing on this board. There was a TSB for the spark plugs and a recall. This has happened to many people. The spark plugs are defective. Not your fault, but you should have gotten that done! Would've saved you this trouble!

Reguardless, don't let the "rep" try and blame you, there is nothing you could have possibly done to make the spark plug fall apart, aside from over revving, in which case there would be a lot more damage than just a spark plug. They'll be able to tell right away whether it was an over rev or the spark plug that fell apart. Either each combustion chamber will be toast if you over-revved, or just one if it's the spark plug.

Good luck!
Old 04-24-2007, 10:20 AM

Welcome to my world a year ago.

Unfortunately I was told, you "revved" the crap out of it and we don't cover user error.

Needless to say it wasn't covered under HOnda Care unless you get lucky, F22 now resides under my hood to make a long story short.
Old 04-24-2007, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by DOUGHS2K,Apr 24 2007, 10:20 AM
Welcome to my world a year ago.

Unfortunately I was told, you "revved" the crap out of it and we don't cover user error.

Needless to say it wasn't covered under HOnda Care unless you get lucky, F22 now resides under my hood to make a long story short.
Wow! how much did it cost you to fix that! Just wondering incase I have to freakin save some emergancy money
Old 04-24-2007, 11:02 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A busted timing chain could have caused this but I'd assume the Honda mech would have discoverd this on his own.
I'd still take a look.
Old 04-24-2007, 11:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

expect to pay 4k-6k
Old 04-24-2007, 12:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

got the tsb for this on a link?
Old 04-24-2007, 12:23 PM

well the car had already had the plugs changed once due to the recall. ive done all my services at my local honda dealer so they better not give me crap. and i just spoke to the service advisor and he told me that they cant prove its "overreving". he is just waiting for the honda care guy to show up and see what happens. I guess all i have to do is wait

Quick Reply: blew my motor