S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Blew 2nd gear in stock S2000

Old 04-26-2022, 09:25 AM
efd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blew 2nd gear in stock S2000

Hello guys, first time I post, but I wanted to ask around the forum how normal it is to get the 2nd gear to break in a stock S2000. I have read other threads where it broke but mainly on tuned ones. Has anyone experienced such a failure in a stock setup?
Mine is an European '07 model and it is all stock. Car has around 65,000 km ~40,000 miles. After opening the transmission at the shop we saw that the 2nd gear on the main shaft has had 3 of its teeth completely knocked out..
I use the car as a weekend drive and this actually happened in the first 150km after my main refresh from winter where I changed all oils (engine, trans, dif). I didn't also experience anything strange while driving spirited but I only realized something was wrong when I had to slow down in some urban area and re-engage the lower gears (1st -2nd). There I heard a very worrying grinding noise while driving in 2nd and drove it straight back home to stop the car.

Old 04-26-2022, 10:29 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,377 Likes on 1,029 Posts

Its not common...almost unheard of as a "for no reason" type of failure, as far as I know.

Maybe there was some prior abuse?

What fluid was used in the trans?
Old 04-26-2022, 01:09 PM

Received 419 Likes on 383 Posts

Never seen this on S2000
Old 04-27-2022, 05:54 AM

Received 1,398 Likes on 837 Posts

Seen it about 6 times.

Improper shifting (banging 2nd improperly) seems to be the cause.
The following users liked this post:
pdexta (05-01-2022)
Old 04-27-2022, 08:11 AM
efd

Originally Posted by B serious
Its not common...almost unheard of as a "for no reason" type of failure, as far as I know.

Maybe there was some prior abuse?

What fluid was used in the trans?
I bought the car 2nd hand when it already had 45,000 km so it is hard to say. In general the whole car looked in a good condition when a did a pre-check before buying..
I changed my gearbox fluid in a Honda dealership so used the original Honda recommended oil. Do you think the Honda gearbox oil it is not up to the task?
Old 04-27-2022, 08:18 AM
efd

Originally Posted by Billman250
Seen it about 6 times.

Improper shifting (banging 2nd improperly) seems to be the cause.
Where those 6 times on a stock car?
Also when you say banging the gear what exactly do you mean? For example even when I shift quickly, I always make sure to fully depress the clutch and release after I engage the gear (so I don't really try to make the absolute fastest gear change in other words). Also when I am downshifting from 3rd to 2nd I try to rev-match but I cannot say that I do it in 100% of the changes. There might be a few times that I don't. Is it critical even in a few cases in your opinion?
Old 04-28-2022, 08:56 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,377 Likes on 1,029 Posts

Originally Posted by efd
I bought the car 2nd hand when it already had 45,000 km so it is hard to say. In general the whole car looked in a good condition when a did a pre-check before buying..
I changed my gearbox fluid in a Honda dealership so used the original Honda recommended oil. Do you think the Honda gearbox oil it is not up to the task?
Honda MTF is fine.

Originally Posted by efd
Where those 6 times on a stock car?
Also when you say banging the gear what exactly do you mean? For example even when I shift quickly, I always make sure to fully depress the clutch and release after I engage the gear (so I don't really try to make the absolute fastest gear change in other words). Also when I am downshifting from 3rd to 2nd I try to rev-match but I cannot say that I do it in 100% of the changes. There might be a few times that I don't. Is it critical even in a few cases in your opinion?

What he means is that the 6 times he's seen it is due to abuse.

Everyone is saying the same thing. This isn't known to "just happen".

Meaning nothing special is needed for it NOT to happen. Something special is needed for it TO happen.

If you're not driving abusively, it should never happen.

Perhaps the previous owner was shifting too forcefully.

Banging gears is shifting too fast/too hard, and then re-engaging power as fast and violently as possible to keep momentum up. Like one would do if drag racing.

Last edited by B serious; 04-28-2022 at 12:13 PM.
The following users liked this post:
windhund116 (04-28-2022)
Old 04-30-2022, 11:25 PM

Received 208 Likes on 180 Posts

Assuming your clutch is stock and factory fitted (that mileage tells me it should be) then we can rule out improper clutch installation that could strain the gear set so like Billman said, abuse caused it. Too many people don't know how to shift a manual car properly and then the next person who buys the pre-owned car bears the brunt of their user error. Sorry man
Old 05-01-2022, 07:07 AM
efd

Thank you all for your replies
At least for me it is clear that after the repair I will be extra careful to avoid any misuse of the gearbox because what could be an abused 2nd gear, could very well be a 1st or 3rd, etc.
Hopefully I will not get surprised by something new in the future.
Old 05-01-2022, 07:23 AM

Received 4,243 Likes on 3,302 Posts

That usually happens when someone repeatedly shifts hard into second gear, what we used to call back in the day 'catching second' , not something the S is designed for i.m.o.

Quick Reply: Blew 2nd gear in stock S2000