S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Blew 2nd gear!

Old 01-29-2012, 12:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blew 2nd gear!

Hey guys I blew second gear about a week and a half ago. Sadly I didn't think much of it bc I have horrible luck with car problems. (ex. I had put a new engine in a week before I blew 2nd gear)
So, I figure second gear is gone due to my clutch not disengaging at high rpms's (8-9k) I just don't understand why.
I had my clutch changed to a Competition Clutch stage 3? About 2 years ago when I turbo'd my car. It never really felt "right". But the shifting all seemed ok bc honestly I hadn't taken it to 8-9k all too much. And when I did and it seemed weird shifting I thought it was just due to the trans not liking the power it was getting thrown at it. (now I'm thinking differently)
When I put the new motor in I took the clutch disc and flywheel to a shop to have flywheel cut and the clutch disc re-done. Even though the clutch kit only had about 3000-3500 miles on it the disc looked awful.(corners of the pucks chipped off).
So after I blew 2nd I wanted to see what the clutch was doing at higher rpm's.
So I took it to 9k in first and just pushed tge clutch in and kept it in first. The car dipped down and threw me forward like Jim hadn't depressed the pedal (for about 1 full second). It did this in 3rd gear as well when I checked to see if it was just first gear. So I'm just curious if anyone has any ideas as to why it would be doing this?
Also the clutch use to feel "spongey" at times and if I got on the cara little bit it would feel smooth for a little. Now ever since I blew 2nd..it's magically smooth all the time but I still have the problem shifting at high rpm's. Ang help or ideas would be great. And sorry if this post is confusing. Thanks guys.
Old 01-29-2012, 02:45 AM

Clutch was either not Adjusted properly or your cultch master/slave was never bled properly. You likely have damaged synchros on all gears.. Sorry man, you probably should look into getting a new Trans.
The thing with cars is, if you feel something is wrong don't keep driving it. It was an easy fix of you got it looked at or asked this forum. Since such a long time has gone by, the damage done to the transmission is probably significant.
Old 01-29-2012, 09:51 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have a spare 03 tranny FS
Old 01-29-2012, 10:29 AM

I've never had good luck with CC clutches. Had one in a 240, MR2 Spyder, and a 300zx, all failed and caused tranny damage in the 240
Old 01-29-2012, 12:04 PM

I had it looked at... Had a new slave put in and had the pedal adjusted...
The car shifts fine between 0-7500rpm's or so.
Not any problem at all in that rpm range. Just the last 1500rpm's or so. It's weird. All the gears seem fine. Although im planning on a new trans anyway bc second gear is gone. But I don't get why it's doing what it's doing..
Thanks.
Old 01-29-2012, 05:00 PM

It broke 2nd gear and your synchros are gone now because your clutch wasnt properly disengaging. Thats why when you lift off throttle with the clutch in, you still get engine braking.
Old 01-29-2012, 09:45 PM

How would all of the synchros be bad? I don't get any engine breaking when I engage the clutch. It disengages fine. Like I said the only time it doesn't disengage is at the last 1500 rpm's. And even at that it still disengages. Just not as soon as it should.
Ex. Im in 1st and I take the rpm's to 8500. I press the clutch I get some engine breaking for a full second. Then the clutch disengages and the rpm's fall as they should. At that point I pull the shifter into 2nd.
Now I'm in 2nd gear. I take the rpm's up to 5000rpm's I press the clutch. The clutch quickly disengages and the rpm's fall as they should. Now I push the shifter to 3rd.
I think maybe you just misread my first post. Sorry for the confusion. :-). Any ideas? Thanks guys!
Old 01-29-2012, 10:52 PM

Ok guys I just got off of i95. Now it's 2am so there was no traffic where I was (between Newtown/Yardley and Penndel exits). I stopped the car in the right lane where it was flat and level and put the car in neutral. The car didn't move. So then I put the car in 1st kept the clutch depressed an starting revving through the rpm's. Slowly I went from idle to 3000-4000-5000-6000. The car did NOT move at all. Then I started at idle again and brought the rpm's up to 6000-7000-8000. Once I hit 8000 rpm's the car JUMPED forward. Almost as if I had dumped the clutch... Now that makes absolutely NO sense to me at all... Why from 8000-9000 would the clutch decide to grab even with the clutch depressed. But not in the rest of the rpm range?
I'm telling you guys. I have the worst luck and the most uncommon problems with Vehicles in general.
Thanks guys. Let me know what you think.
Old 01-30-2012, 04:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats just plain bizarre. I kind of have the same issue you have where at times my clutch doesnt disengage all the way. but it doesnt seem to have anything to do with how high i rev the motor.I just think the T.O. bearing is on its way out. Check the T.O. bearing and make sure its working properly especially if its an aftermarket T.O..

Maybe you should stick with an OEM clutch going forward? If your gonna swap the tranny might as well get a clutch you know was designed specifically for the car by Honda. I was thinking of an aftermarket clutch too but i read many posts on here about people having clutch/tranny issues with aftermarket clutches. But maybe there is a decent one out there i havent heard of yet.
Old 01-30-2012, 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by ikeyballz
It broke 2nd gear and your synchros are gone now because your clutch wasnt properly disengaging. Thats why when you lift off throttle with the clutch in, you still get engine braking.
I always appreciate all the help I get on this forum but are you understanding my original post or anything else I'm saying?
I know what blew second gear... I stated that in the original post. You are saying my synchros are gone but how? And yes if I lift off the throttle with the clutch engaged OVER 8000 rpm's I get engine braking. But not at 1000-7900rpm's.

Also I should have mentioned in the original post that I have had the car checked out from the begenning of this problem.
Never figured out what was going on which is why I stayed under 8000 rpm's majority of the time. And if I took it over I waited a second to pull the trans out of gear.
when I blew second gear I wasn't thinking about the problem bc I just had the clutch redone and flywheels cut 3 weeks ago when I put in my new motor.
(I'll have a post about that btw. Snapped my timing chain at 64,000 miles. How)

Thanks again for the help guys. Still wondering if anybody's had an issue like this.

Quick Reply: Blew 2nd gear!