S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Black soot on bumper? PICS

Old 05-26-2006, 10:37 AM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Black soot on bumper? PICS

My car is 100% stock with no mods on it right now.
It used to be turbo and it would do the same thing, put black soot on my bumber when ever I would drive it around. I replaced my map sensor and change my plugs but it still does it. I have not changed my PVC valve and I am not sure if that will help but I am going to change it today.

Symptoms:
Idles fine and runs up to redline just fine.
Once warmed up, part throttle is sluggish and bucks a lot.
Black smoke comes out the exhaust when on the gas pedal(black soot).
A/F ratio would be fine until I let off the gas (between shifts) and it would run in the 12.1, 11.1 ratio then to a normal 14.5.
NO check engine light.

My thoughts.. PVC valve, needs a valve job as my engine seems noisy compared to other s2000's?? and last, my block is scored.

Anyone ever experience this, with this or anyother car?
On witht the PICS
CLICK ON PICS TO SEE HIGH RES.

Thanks
Chris

Old 05-26-2006, 10:43 AM

OH, and before people say get a leakdown test, I called a shop that did my clutch install and they thought you had to take the head off to complete a leakdown test.
I have another shop that can do it for me but he does not have the tools at his shop at the time. Another option is the dealer but thats a last resort!

Compression 200. 205.210. 205
Old 05-26-2006, 11:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you running a test pipe? If so, its normal
Old 05-26-2006, 12:08 PM

Well, if a test pipe causes the symptoms I have (bucking and running like crap), why would anyone wnat one?
100% stock.

Thanks though
Old 05-26-2006, 12:33 PM

I have similar symptoms as you. I think my "bucking" is due to a clogged fuel filter, does your car buck more when the fuel gets low or when you make a hard left turn out on full throttle? I believe the soot is from carbon buildup OR your car runs rich as hell. I have yet to determine why I have soot buildup. Im keeping an eye on this thread, let me know if you find anything out.

BTW who is the chick with the huge cans in your sig?
Old 05-26-2006, 01:33 PM

I don't really see that much soot on your bumper so I don't know what you're worried about there but the other symptoms sound like mine when my MAP went bad. I don't know if the PCV could cause that much trouble.
Old 05-26-2006, 01:39 PM

That pic was taken after a short drive (15 miles and just washed) and no vtec'n. Just wait till I get on it and dont wash the thing.
And I did replace my map sensor with a new one and reset the ECU.
Also, the car STINKS when driving.
Old 05-26-2006, 01:42 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by f20kills,May 26 2006, 12:37 PM
My car is 100% stock with no mods on it right now.
It used to be turbo and it would do the same thing, put black soot on my bumber when ever I would drive it around.
This is normal. All cars do this. All cars will form black soot on the exhaust/bumper area around the exhaust. The S2000 even more so, because it tends to run richer above 6000rpm than most cars do. (this is a good/safe thing)

So, don't continue to look for a solution for this, as there is no problem, unless you're smoking like a chimney.

Once warmed up, part throttle is sluggish and bucks a lot.
What are you doing when the car is "bucking"? Are you in gear? Are you at a stop with the car neutral? Do you have the clutch pushed in? Are you in gear and moving? What are your rpms when you're moving and in gear and it's "bucking"?

Black smoke comes out the exhaust when on the gas pedal(black soot).
assuming you're not smoking like a chimney, this is normal. especially when you vtec or high rpm shift. you'll get some nice healthy puffs of smoke out the exhaust then.

A/F ratio would be fine until I let off the gas (between shifts) and it would run in the 12.1, 11.1 ratio then to a normal 14.5.
how do you know what your a/f ratio is since you're
100% stock
how are you measuring your a/f?

My thoughts.. PVC valve, needs a valve job as my engine seems noisy compared to other s2000's?? and last, my block is scored.
you have scored cylinder walls, and now are wondering why you might be having a problem with your car?

Old 05-26-2006, 01:50 PM

What plugs did you put in and at what gap did you set them?
Old 05-26-2006, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by Wisconsin S2k,May 26 2006, 03:42 PM
This is normal. All cars do this. All cars will form black soot on the exhaust/bumper area around the exhaust. The S2000 even more so, because it tends to run richer above 6000rpm than most cars do. (this is a good/safe thing)

So, don't continue to look for a solution for this, as there is no problem, unless you're smoking like a chimney.

What are you doing when the car is "bucking"? Are you in gear? Are you at a stop with the car neutral? Do you have the clutch pushed in? Are you in gear and moving? What are your rpms when you're moving and in gear and it's "bucking"?

assuming you're not smoking like a chimney, this is normal. especially when you vtec or high rpm shift. you'll get some nice healthy puffs of smoke out the exhaust then.

how do you know what your a/f ratio is since you're how are you measuring your a/f?

you have scored cylinder walls, and now are wondering why you might be having a problem with your car?

Again, my car is 100% stock NOW. I used to have a test pipe (my only mod) and had my wide band in there. Thats how I know my A/F.
As I said, NO VTAK action and it has black smoke. It is not normal.

As said in the first post also, It IDLES fine. It bucks in gear.

Those where my GUESSES not what IS wrong with the car. Im posting to figure out what IS wrong. If I knew it was scored my car would be in the shop.

Plugs are bosh, stock gap.

Quick Reply: Black soot on bumper? PICS