S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Billman's Brake Fluid Gravity bleeding revised

Old 01-01-2013, 07:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is what I thought.
But my buddy who is a mechanic and s2000 guru told me s2000 rear caliper is screw type and screws out when pulling the ebrake...I don't understand what that means at all.

Originally Posted by dwight
The handbrake is cable driven and independent of the hydraulic braking system. (No, it doesn't matter. Either way is fine.)
Old 01-02-2013, 04:25 AM

IIRC the handbrake cable actuates the hydraulic piston in the rear caliper, so it's not completely independent of the hydraulic system, but that's not going to matter unless you want to push the pistons back in all 4 calipers, which shouldn't be necessary.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:12 PM

thanks for the answer. I think this is what my buddy meant too. he said it shouldn't be really matter if the ebrake is up or down but theoretically speaking the ebrake should be released. i will just make sure next time i do it i set it down.

Originally Posted by Sellout
IIRC the handbrake cable actuates the hydraulic piston in the rear caliper, so it's not completely independent of the hydraulic system, but that's not going to matter unless you want to push the pistons back in all 4 calipers, which shouldn't be necessary.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:44 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes, I hope that it's obvious that they share the same set of rear pistons. If you want to change your rear pads or discs, or remove the calipers, you'll need to release the handbrake otherwise the caliper will be locked on to the disc.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:54 PM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by dwight
On a technical level, I disagree with #3.

I'm not sure to what level does Billman mean by keeping it full. I top it off after each wheel.

The difference between half-full or full is insignificant. The pressure driving the through the brake lines is a function of the density and the difference in height between the bleeder and the level of the fluid in the reservoir. I estimate that this is about 17", and the difference between constantly keeping the reservoir full is about 1", making it about a 6% difference in pressure. As a result, how full the reservoir has almost no effect on the speed at which fluid will flow.
Well.....if that 6% translates equally to time, and Billman says it takes an average of 70min, then that equates to 4.2min. That's a hefty amount of time.

Old 01-02-2013, 09:06 PM

Billman,

Do you know anything about getting the fluid out of the ABS system? I have not heard anything conclusive about if that fluid is "mixed" with the fluid in the regular lines, and if so, does it only mix when the ABS is activated. And, if it's mixed, is it good enough to activate the ABS a few times to mix it before bleeding? Or do you need to use Honda's computer system to do it?
Old 01-03-2013, 08:28 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by davidc1
Originally Posted by dwight' timestamp='1355686145' post='22213762
On a technical level, I disagree with #3.

I'm not sure to what level does Billman mean by keeping it full. I top it off after each wheel.

The difference between half-full or full is insignificant. The pressure driving the through the brake lines is a function of the density and the difference in height between the bleeder and the level of the fluid in the reservoir. I estimate that this is about 17", and the difference between constantly keeping the reservoir full is about 1", making it about a 6% difference in pressure. As a result, how full the reservoir has almost no effect on the speed at which fluid will flow.
Well.....if that 6% translates equally to time, and Billman says it takes an average of 70min, then that equates to 4.2min. That's a hefty amount of time.

It doesn't. It's proportional to the square root. A 6% increase in pressure equates to about 3% increase in flow rate. Watching it constantly and refilling to save 2 minutes, vs. checking every 15-25 minutes? I'll pick the latter.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Sellout
Well.... it is.
You do not need hydraulic fluid to operate the handbrake, it's all mechanical.
IOW, even with no fluid in the system at all the handbrake would still work.
The handbrake cable turns a lever that pushes a small rod that pushes the bottom piston (or flange) pushing the threaded rod (the automatic pad wear adjuster) in a nut in the centre of the main piston.
The threaded rod is the reason you have to turn the rear main piston back in and the reason the rear piston has those grooves that need to line up with the pin on the pad to stop it from turning.

When you brake with the pedal the hydraulic fluid pushes the rear piston out, but leaves the flange at the bottom of the caliper bore.
The threaded rod is springloaded and will turn to make up any play caused by pad wear, just like the springloaded central screw in the TCT.

If you know what I mean.

If my friends at Webshots would not have turned into a payed "service" I would have been able to post pictures.
Oh well...

edit: typo
Old 01-04-2013, 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by SpitfireS
Originally Posted by Sellout' timestamp='1357133133' post='22240691
Well.... it is.
You do not need hydraulic fluid to operate the handbrake, it's all mechanical.
IOW, even with no fluid in the system at all the handbrake would still work.
The handbrake cable turns a lever that pushes a small rod that pushes the bottom piston (or flange) pushing the threaded rod (the automatic pad wear adjuster) in a nut in the centre of the main piston.
The threaded rod is the reason you have to turn the rear main piston back in and the reason the rear piston has those grooves that need to line up with the pin on the pad to stop it from turning.

When you brake with the pedal the hydraulic fluid pushes the rear piston out, but leaves the flange at the bottom of the caliper bore.
The threaded rod is springloaded and will turn to make up any play caused by pad wear, just like the springloaded central screw in the TCT.

If you know what I mean.

If my friends at Webshots would not have turned into a payed "service" I would have been able to post pictures.
Oh well...

edit: typo
Yes, in that sense it is truly independent.

I had hoped to convey that the handbrake actuates the same piston that the hydraulic system does, which isn't the case in some vehicles, not that the handbrake was dependent on the brake fluid. I think this is what his mechanic friend was getting at, when he said
But my buddy who is a mechanic and s2000 guru told me s2000 rear caliper is screw type and screws out when pulling the ebrake...I don't understand what that means at all.
I could have been clearer.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:50 PM

haha thanks for all the answers. i learnt a lot.

Quick Reply: Billman's Brake Fluid Gravity bleeding revised