S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Billman's Brake Fluid Gravity bleeding revised

Old 12-16-2012, 06:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think Spitfire meant to offend. He was just making a mostly accurate comment about users on this forum.

I've changed my brake fluid the old fashioned way and it was perfectly fine. Ive also used the Billman gravity bleed method because it also works perfectly fine and I can conveniently do it myself.

Anywho. Thanks for the revised guide.
Old 12-16-2012, 09:34 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Billman - haha I actually did a DIY to gravity bleed a couple weeks ago and I use your bleed order. Pretty much identical process...

Posted mine in the brakes/suspension forum. figured it would be the right place to post it.
Brake Gravity Bleed

Posted one for the clutch gravity bleed also.
Clutch Gravity Bleed
Old 12-16-2012, 09:42 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

warm fluid...wish i knew that 10 brake fluid changes ago

thank you for the update!
Old 12-16-2012, 10:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HvRRZ
Billman - haha I actually did a DIY to gravity bleed a couple weeks ago and I use your bleed order. Pretty much identical process...

Posted mine in the brakes/suspension forum. figured it would be the right place to post it.
Brake Gravity Bleed

Posted one for the clutch gravity bleed also.
Clutch Gravity Bleed
Great write up with visuals HvRRZ . I've used turkey basters in the past too and they do the job, but I found them to be a bit messy. Also after a few uses the plastic turns cloudy white and the rubber at the top starts to degrade. They are inexpensive and readily available so the degrade isn't really a big deal, but to combat the spillage I've been using a Mix Mizer and it makes extracting fluid much easier/cleaner.

Old 12-16-2012, 11:15 PM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Billman250
I never asked anyone to change their brake fluid, or to jump.

I do DIYs for those that chose to benefit from them.

You know as well as I do there are people here taking your Word as the S2k-Gospel.
That's 100% not your intention (I assume.. ), not your fault and not your problem either.

Back to brake fluid:
When one opens a can/bottle of fresh brake fluid one should take extra care to not let the sense of humor that's floating on top escape.
So next time: take a deep breath when you lift the alu seal.

Old 12-17-2012, 03:28 AM

Received 1,396 Likes on 837 Posts

I agree turning the pistons back flushes additional fluid out the bleeder line. Perhaps I'll add an advanced portion to the diy for those that want to get that last bit out.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by steamedturtle
I don't think Spitfire meant to offend...
I'm never quite certain with him. ...

Originally Posted by HvRRZ
Billman - haha I actually did a DIY to gravity bleed a couple weeks ago and I use your bleed order. Pretty much identical process...Posted mine in the brakes/suspension forum. figured it would be the right place to post it.Brake Gravity BleedPosted one for the clutch gravity bleed also.Clutch Gravity Bleed
Looks pretty good. Nice pictures and formatting. Are you recovering the used brake fluid to a bottle or just letting it drip on the floor? The pictures make it look like the latter.

Originally Posted by Yoohoo
Great write up with visuals HvRRZ . I've used turkey basters in the past too and they do the job, but I found them to be a bit messy. Also after a few uses the plastic turns cloudy white and the rubber at the top starts to degrade. ...
I use a glass one, and from chemistry lab I've learned to let fluid get up into the bulb. In addition, I put a loosely packed piece of paper towel in there as an added precaution.

Originally Posted by Billman250
I agree turning the pistons back flushes additional fluid out the bleeder line. Perhaps I'll add an advanced portion to the diy for those that want to get that last bit out.
There's more than one way to skin a cat.
Old 12-17-2012, 11:41 AM

dwight - I recover it later to a bottle, but initial I just let it drip into a plastic cup. I thought I had written that in the write up... I'll double check.

I also agree to keep the reservoir full between each wheel. I do that also. Better safe then sorry and allowing it to get to low by accident.
Old 12-17-2012, 11:43 AM

Yoohoo - thanks for the input. I'll probably pick up something like what you have or possible a glass one, but for now the 99cent store is just down the street haha
Old 12-17-2012, 12:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Billman, Ive followed your steps last years and my brake pedal feels a lot more responsive that it was. Process took long but it was worth it bc it seemed that there was little to no induction of air compared to the pump method

Quick Reply: Billman's Brake Fluid Gravity bleeding revised