S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Billman please help! Hydrolock confusion!

Old 01-17-2013, 11:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Billman please help! Hydrolock confusion!

So I was washing my engine bay. I covered my intake and alternator, however not the open crank case hole (where most put a little filter) I am turboed. (IM ASSUMING that's how water got in) spark plugs were pretty wet along with coil packs so couldve been that too.
So I tried moving it out the garage realizing it won't start, so I tried a few times and decided to pull the plugs and crank it because I figured it could have a little water or fuel (was hoping not) there was a noticeable amount of water, very noticeable puddles. I cranked and cranked until I thought all the water was out (disconnected fuel pump fuse) after, reassembled everything, still wouldn't start, so I tried again, taking it apart, cranking until the battery died. After it died, my father and I used paper towels to soak up the water until it was minimal and eventually got a jump start to crank the car several more times. Eventually I wasn't even able to crank the car with a jump start. Read at 12.5 volts.
Decided to try and kick start the car. We rolled it to around 10mph, 1st gear, car purred, dash dimly lit up, and then car died. Did it three times, same thing every time.
Parked it on the side for 10 minutes, changed out the battery for a friend's one.
Installed known charged battery, put the key in, turned it once to acc, then second time to on position, it backfired, as loud as an aerial firework. I didn't even crank the car by pushing the start button. I waited a minute, and tried again, this time it didn't do it. I pressed the start button, and it kept cranking but never started. Waited 10 minutes, tried again and it back fired like before without me cranking.
What's going on?! And is my motor done for?
Old 01-18-2013, 03:19 AM

Received 1,343 Likes on 814 Posts

You dont have hydrolock, you have a wet ignition system. Once its dry it will be ok.

Take the plugs out and let everything air dry in direct sunlight for a few hrs.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by Billman250
You dont have hydrolock, you have a wet ignition system. Once its dry it will be ok.

Take the plugs out and let everything air dry in direct sunlight for a few hrs.
do you know why it's back firing? The neighbors actually called the police on me because they thought I was playing with fireworks.
Thank you for the hasty reply bill. Appreciate it.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:23 AM

Intermittent ignition is causing backfire due to moisture. Dry it out.
Old 01-19-2013, 07:08 PM

Bill man, my car started and it sounded alright. I left it running for a bit. If I leave it off for 2 hours or more I have to take out the plugs and crank it without plugs again. What do you think could be causing this?
Old 01-20-2013, 03:41 AM

Sounds like the injectors are leaking fuel.

If you do get it running, take it for a good drive and get it hot as possible.

Disconnect your injector connectors and dry them with compressed air.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by Billman250
Sounds like the injectors are leaking fuel.

If you do get it running, take it for a good drive and get it hot as possible.

Disconnect your injector connectors and dry them with compressed air.
Alright, I've gotten it running, it starts most times but I've noticed a very large amount of white smoking from the exhaust with start ups, and it has gotten much harder for the car to start, sometimes it'll stumble as if it still contains water even though I've driven it a good 40-50 miles already. It's also running a lot hotter then usual, one bar up than usual on the temperature.
Is it possible that I blew the head gasket while it was cranking with water in the head? Pretty confused because the first day I got it running it did fine, it didn't overheat either.
A few days after, I checked the coolant and it was low, so I filled it up to the top. The next drive following the fill up, I have white smoking engulfing the entire front end of my car, I think coming from my radiator cap. (mishimoto radiator) could something as small as a cap cause these overheating?
Also would like to add, the heat does get hot. eventually.
Thanks billman.