S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Big puff of white smoke?!?!

Old 06-02-2008, 06:21 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Big puff of white smoke?!?!

Ok, so pulling into my office parking lot this morning my car let out a big cloud of white smoke. The car was under minimal load. I was in first maybe going 10 mph. I know white smoke usually means coolant...

Now I have an Invidia TP with an HKS exhaust. I also have a K&N FIPK. I parked the car and let it "rest". There wasn't any spirited driving before hand (traffic). I also filled up a completely empty tank on friday and did a fair amount of driving this weekend.

After I let it rest (30 mins or so), I went back out and started her up. When I popped the hood, I smelled a very faint smell of coolent. I revved the car a bit but couldn't see any smoke from the front of the car. I then revved it a few times and ran to the back of the car. I saw a little bit of white smoke coming out of the left tail pipe only. Nothing out of the right. After it idled for about 10-15 secs, the smoke went away and all was clear. I repeated this a couple times with the same results.

I then took it out on the road that goes around the office complex. Took it to vtec once. But mostly normal driving conditions. The car seemed to run fine and strong. No clouds of white smoke and the coolant level is normal.

I have a MY01 w/74000 miles. Any one have any ideas? Thanks...
Old 06-02-2008, 06:39 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe this is normal. Just build-up in the exhaust pipe and over time it will just escape. Someone else can chime in.

I noticed this once on a friend's S2K and asked one of the mechanics. That is what he told me. Of course it came back later that he now has a scored cylinder so???
Old 06-02-2008, 06:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That just happen to my friend a month ago. He had white smoke coming out of his exhaust so he was pissed that his head gasket blew. We took the head off and it turned out to be a scorched cylinder wall. Still don't understand how that happen.

If you have a compressor at home you could pick up a compression kit for $20 and see whats going on.
Old 06-02-2008, 06:47 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have been planning on doing a valve adjustment and changing the spark plugs. I also have been wanting to do a compression and leakdown test. The issue this morning just confirmed to me that I need to get this done.

If anyone else has any ideas or experience with this, keep the thought coming. Thanks again!
Old 06-21-2009, 09:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now I am scared this seems like me.

I have Intake, Test Pipe, Single exit, 40K on a MY03
Just installed the exhaust Friday, today Sunday from a red light only light accel. I had a small plume of white smoke. Continued driving normal didn't see it happen again. Checked my oil nice and clean didn't see any coolant/water.

I am a spirited driver but not a crazy man, most of my driving is highway back forth to work, some quick city stop lighting, but no track time. As well if it means anything I was on a slightly downward slop after some RR tracks when this happened.

Anyone help out?