S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

BIG PROBLEM!

Old 01-08-2009, 04:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down BIG PROBLEM!

Over the past 2 drives in the S I've smelled fuel...not too bad but definitely not normal.

Well today I start the car and instantly smell a godawful amount of gas! Concerned I bend down to look under the car and there is literally a river of fuel running out from under the block!

I can't actually see where it's coming from but I have attached some pics to show you guys where it's actually wet with fuel (just under the intake manifold, close to where the fuel line appears to come up through the intake manifold).

It was not leaking as a drip, it was literally about 10 different spots it was dripping from under the car which tells me it's no pinhole leak! Had I been foolish enough to drive the car to work today I might be on the side of the road right now with a burned out S2000!

Any ideas? It looks like the leak is somewhere under the intake manifold...is there any way to access that area from the bottom without taking off the manifold?

PICS:

Old 01-08-2009, 04:50 AM

I cant see the pics at work, but judging from your description, I'd say it not coming out of the block. I'd check your fuel rail/injectors for the leak. Likely, you are leaking (sounds like pretty bad) and its just dripping down and appearing like its leaking from more than one place.

I had an injector that was leaking and smelled fuel, but it never got as bad as what you are saying.

Just turn the ignition "on" without starting it with the hood open and see what you can see.
Old 01-08-2009, 04:53 AM

Agreed.. sounds like injector or fuel rail o ring leak.. Pull intake mani, pull injectors, replace o rings.. Go on with life..
Old 01-08-2009, 05:37 AM

[quote name='Sargeant Handbag' date='Jan 8 2009, 05:53 AM'] Agreed.. sounds like injector or fuel rail o ring leak..
Old 01-08-2009, 05:44 AM

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

fuel rail leak IMO... also, have you parked your S outside?? maybe some rodent got in and bit through your fuel lines...
Old 01-08-2009, 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by funat9000rpm' date='Jan 8 2009, 06:44 AM
fuel rail leak IMO... also, have you parked your S outside?? maybe some rodent got in and bit through your fuel lines...
Yea, that's a possibility. I'm gonna check it out tonight. This is just annoying!
Old 01-08-2009, 06:04 AM

You dont have to take the Intake Manifold off. just take the fuel rail off. Not a big job.

best to try to identify the leak before you take things apart though as its tough when fuel is dry to determine where it came from. O ring replacement is easy and cheap enough that it might be worth a shot before really looking though.
Old 01-08-2009, 07:13 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Remove the plastic injector cover (black plastic deal with 2 nuts that covers the fuel rail). Start the car. Use a flashlight and find the leak. It's likely coming from around one of the following:

injectors: o-ring between the top of the injector and the fuel rail
fuel supply line: In your last pic, the top red arrow points to a round plastic housing. make sure that guy hasn't become loose.
fuel supply line: Follow the line down from above and find where the metal line crimps onto a rubber line. Check the rubber and the crimp for damage. You can get to this from the bottom if necessary.
fuel return line: to the right of the round plastic thing. Again, follow it down and check for damage.
Old 01-08-2009, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by SC_Highlander' date='Jan 8 2009, 08:13 AM
Remove the plastic injector cover (black plastic deal with 2 nuts that covers the fuel rail). Start the car. Use a flashlight and find the leak. It's likely coming from around one of the following:

injectors: o-ring between the top of the injector and the fuel rail
fuel supply line: In your last pic, the top red arrow points to a round plastic housing. make sure that guy hasn't become loose.
fuel supply line: Follow the line down from above and find where the metal line crimps onto a rubber line. Check the rubber and the crimp for damage. You can get to this from the bottom if necessary.
fuel return line: to the right of the round plastic thing. Again, follow it down and check for damage.
Thank you sir!

Can't I just turn the ignition to "ON" to prime the fuel rail and find the leak without starting the car? With the amount of gas spraying around fire is of high concern! I'll have my extinguisher handy though.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:06 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JLUDE' date='Jan 8 2009, 08:50 AM
Thank you sir!

Can't I just turn the ignition to "ON" to prime the fuel rail and find the leak without starting the car? With the amount of gas spraying around fire is of high concern! I'll have my extinguisher handy though.
If it's gonna spray, it'll spray, just make sure you've got the fire extinguisher to hand.

Quick Reply: BIG PROBLEM!