S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

BIG MISTAKE cross threaded oil jet bolt!

Old 12-18-2007, 10:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BIG MISTAKE cross threaded oil jet bolt!

so i had a friend help me get my #1 bolt in cause i couldnt get it in for the life of me. and when i began to torque it i was going slow and it wouldnt stop turning im like WTF no good . the bolt is still flush but it just wont tighten down i read on a previous post on the search someone else had the same problem and it wasnt a real good outcome hopefully it can be tapped i never taped anything b4 and not too sure on what size tape im looking for or do i have to buy a whole set. i just need any advice on what are my options and what i can do. i was thinkin about since its not backin out i would some how get a way to add some red locktite to make sure it wont back out. BUT its very risky.....someone chime in please
Old 12-18-2007, 11:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get a "self tapping" bolt, problem solved.

Use teflon tape on the bolt and retorque, problem solved.

Retap the hole with a tap kit, buy another bolt w/washer, problem solved.

Tim
Old 12-19-2007, 12:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SIIK2NR,Dec 19 2007, 12:19 AM
Get a "self tapping" bolt, problem solved.

Use teflon tape on the bolt and retorque, problem solved.

Retap the hole with a tap kit, buy another bolt w/washer, problem solved.

Tim
I wouldn't recommend this teflon tape idea.
I would recommend a magnetic drain plug after tapping the new hole, unless you have some other way to get the shavings out.
Old 12-19-2007, 07:27 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ShMooveS2k is asking about the oil jet bolt, not the oil drain bolt.

None of the above solutions will work with the oil jet bolt. You cannot make it oversize and there is no helicoil/insert solution. The best solution is to remove the block and either replace it or have a good welder add material to the stripped hole that you then drill and tap threads into.

As an alternative here's what I did when I stripped the #3 bolt on my car due to the improper use of a troque wrench. It will be more difficult to work with the #1 oil jet bolt. You may have to remove the oil pump pickup for correct access.

1. Allow the engine oil to drain completely.
2. Clean the bolt hole throughly with brake clean or any other solvent that leaves no residue.
3. Use an impact punch to create "dimples" around the circumference of the oil jet bolt hole. The idea is to slightly deform the periphery of the hole to make the inner diameter slightly smaller. I made 8 indentations around the hole. This should allow you to thread the bolt in and out and feel it snugging up. Do not go past "finger tight" with your test fitting.
4. You have one shot at the next step - if you strip the hole again, I don't think you could salvage it. Apply a thread locking compound to the oil jet bolt and the inside of the hole and carefully thread the bolt into place. You will only be able to make this finger tight. You are now relying on the thread locking compound to keep the assembly together, so make sure that you use a good brand. I used Loktite, but don't remember the compound number.

This repair lasted about 20k miles, until I wrecked the car.
Old 12-19-2007, 09:48 AM

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Actually, the shop replacing my oil jet bolts had the same problem. #1 stripped out. They ended up being able to use a helicoil by rethreading the oil jet bolt.
Old 12-19-2007, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by Seattle2k,Dec 19 2007, 01:56 AM
I wouldn't recommend this teflon tape idea.
I would recommend a magnetic drain plug after tapping the new hole, unless you have some other way to get the shavings out.
i have magnetic drain plug so im covered there. after things get fixed i was going to fill up with oil let run up car for few mins and change oil again so it would kind of rinse itself
Old 12-19-2007, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by CoralDoc,Dec 19 2007, 08:27 AM
ShMooveS2k is asking about the oil jet bolt, not the oil drain bolt.

None of the above solutions will work with the oil jet bolt. You cannot make it oversize and there is no helicoil/insert solution. The best solution is to remove the block and either replace it or have a good welder add material to the stripped hole that you then drill and tap threads into.

As an alternative here's what I did when I stripped the #3 bolt on my car due to the improper use of a troque wrench. It will be more difficult to work with the #1 oil jet bolt. You may have to remove the oil pump pickup for correct access.

1. Allow the engine oil to drain completely.
2. Clean the bolt hole throughly with brake clean or any other solvent that leaves no residue.
3. Use an impact punch to create "dimples" around the circumference of the oil jet bolt hole. The idea is to slightly deform the periphery of the hole to make the inner diameter slightly smaller. I made 8 indentations around the hole. This should allow you to thread the bolt in and out and feel it snugging up. Do not go past "finger tight" with your test fitting.
4. You have one shot at the next step - if you strip the hole again, I don't think you could salvage it. Apply a thread locking compound to the oil jet bolt and the inside of the hole and carefully thread the bolt into place. You will only be able to make this finger tight. You are now relying on the thread locking compound to keep the assembly together, so make sure that you use a good brand. I used Loktite, but don't remember the compound number.

This repair lasted about 20k miles, until I wrecked the car.
how come a helicoil not work?

and why cant it just be re- tapped?

Coral- how did you improperly use your TQ wrench?
Old 12-19-2007, 10:19 AM

If I remember what the shop told me right it's that there isn't a helicoil that fits that application directly. Those oil jet bolts have some fine threads and the block is aluminum. It's a recipe for stripping.
Old 12-19-2007, 10:40 AM

so things are looking towards new block? where can i get one?
Old 12-19-2007, 10:50 AM

re-read my post above. it CAN be helicoiled, it's just not completely straightforward.
If you want advice or have questions, shoot a PM to S2K_GP (Toan at PTuning), as he's the one that did mine. Good luck with it.

Quick Reply: BIG MISTAKE cross threaded oil jet bolt!