S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Big CV's and halfshafts

Old 10-17-2004, 01:15 PM
RT

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Surreal, I'm not the guru of what's available at this point but can tell you that none of the CV problems I've had were of the catastrophic type. They were all "vibration on accel" and all look to be a brinelling and spalling issue on the cup load surface. Checkout twohoos recent thread on the subject.
I don't think the LSD itself plays much of a roll here.
Hoping kaneS2K the best of luck on his project but not holding my breath
Old 10-17-2004, 03:22 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

This is really interesting stuff and is deserving of being in the "Technical" section. Moving there now (keeping a link in UTH).
Old 10-17-2004, 04:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This will go great with the differential upgrade. The final piece of the puzzle would be probably be the gearbox (hoping the ring and pinion gears will still be able to withstand everything)...which is $$$$$$$$$$$.

Thanks for the wishes. I'm doing everything I can to make this work out. It's going to take a while to make this because it's just such a significant part and I dont want to do things twice. In hopefully 3 weeks I'll have a price for all you guys and from whatever interest I see in there will tell me to proceed with the manufacturing and testing of each diff or not to. This will take a long time to get through, but I figure you guys waited 4 years so far, a few more months wont hurt
Old 10-17-2004, 05:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the threads...

I scanned twohoos and also those within his.

Wow, you guys have been on this for some time.
Did anyone ever have success with the new axles mentioned?

If not, is seems that Chris may be on to something....

I wonder what RS-R did to their Drift S2000 CVs?
I imagine they would see excessive wear after one run. I can't imagine
we could approach this level of loading in our weekend warrior usage.(?)
Old 10-17-2004, 05:24 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

no smoke, no mirrors, no anti-gravity boots those bad boyz are standing on their own
Interesting to see the other pictures of the CV rollers. The ones in my pictures are from a 2000 model Australian delivered car and are definately curved on the outer surface. The three "pegs" on the trunnion are parallel sided.

The ones in the other picture make more sense as they would have a reasonable contact area. Also noticed that the "pegs" they sit on are ball shaped to allow angulation. I can only guess that the other picture is of an updated version.

I can get upgrade kits made that reuse existing outer CV's. The differential side flanges would need minor machining in a lathe, nothing to complicated for an engineering shop with a lathe. Cost will depend on the volume, the more the cheaper to get the halfshafts resplined. I would suggest $1800AUD for a one off kit (pair), less if I have more volume. I would also need a local car to measure up the halfshaft lengths.

Power wise, the CV's are used on 1000hp drifters and seem to stand up fine. The weakest point will be the diameter where the halfshaft engages with the Honda outer CV joint, or your crownwheel/pinion and gearbox.

Interested parties please PM me.

Chris.
Old 10-17-2004, 10:29 PM
RT

did you personally disassemble the CV joint in the 1st picture?
Old 10-17-2004, 11:31 PM

did you personally disassemble the CV joint in the 1st picture?

Yes, though the donor car had been in an accident and the CV joint had been pulled apart when the rear corner was knocked off. Thats the cause of the distress around the inner CV outer housing. Looks like the joint was mashed around a bit when the car rolled to a stop, or when it was dragged onto the tow car. The bellows were torn but sort of attached to both ends.

The donor car had only one corner intact. Must have been a big one.

I dont think the main topic of discussion is around fine details about the original CV's. There are documented problems with pitting on the original joints, and problems caused by high torque/hard launches. My post was to let people know of and alternative setup with the possiblity of making it available to people with genuine problems keeping CV's intact.

Chris Barry.
Old 10-18-2004, 12:16 AM
RT

OK there Dr. Frankenstein, it's usually a good idea to start out w/ a solid baseline and the fact that you aren't starting out w/ stock parts isn't a good sign. Enough of the subtle hints from this end ....... your baseline parts and analysis is fu<k-up so good luck and quit deleting this thread would ya Enjoy
Old 10-18-2004, 08:12 PM

RT,

No need to get hostile. Also, I am not deleting the thread.

As I stated, the picture is of what turned up in my donor car. How it got there is out of my control. Have you considered that some of the early 2000 cars may have been shipped with different rollers to what you have seen in your market?

Surely you must acknowledge that there are problems with pitting in the standard CV, irrespective of what rollers were in the CV joint I have at my end.

I posted details of the conversion used on my car as I thought it could help other owners who were looking for alternatives to other CV's. If you dont like what I'm doing, the "baseline" I use or my "Frankenstien" engineering, please ignore this thread. Perhaps you could even develop your own CV package and show people like me how things should be done.

Chris.