S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Big CV's and halfshafts

Old 10-14-2004, 09:18 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Big CV's and halfshafts

Saw a recent post about a bullet proof diff and housing.

Have put together a very strong halfshaft and inner CV joint for my F20C clubman project. The stock CV's were already pitting at 30,000km and I thought the inner CV was silly the way a curved roller ran on a flat surface.

I'll be racing the car with regular hard launches on 10" slicks so wanted something robust.

Attached are some pictures of the setup I used. It has a 6 ball inner CV which is meant to be safe on 1000hp drifters. The CV requires minor modification to the S2K side flanges, but uses the same bolt pattern to attach it. The halfshaft was resplined out the outboard end to suit the stock CV (in my case MX5).

I wasnt intending to sell these as a package, but could be convinced to do so is someone has a geniune need.

This is the standard inner CV which is already breaking up. Notice the small trunion with only 3 rollers where curved surfaces run on a flat surface.

These are the original/new halfshaft.

THis is the new CV. It bolts onto the stock diff flange if you machine the location lump off the centre of the diff flange. The CV uses a step on the outer of the flange for location instead. Notice that this CV uses curved surfaces where both the inner and outer components touch the balls. Also with 6 balls the load is spread over twice as many contact points.

The whole lot installed

Speedracer.
Old 10-14-2004, 10:49 PM
RT

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

chris, that's weird that you found curved rollers in the stock CV joints. The 6 or 7 joints I've had apart all had flat surface rollers in them
Maybe it's a down under deal
Old 10-14-2004, 10:50 PM
RT

I can take a picture of one tomorrow if you need.
Old 10-14-2004, 11:36 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I didnt mean the needle rollers inside the trunion. The curved surface I was referring to was on the outside of the three "wheels" that transmit force to the three channels in the inside of the main casing of the CV joint.

If you look close at the first picture, the outer surface of the silver "wheel" on the inner part of the CV joint runs against the three channels in the CV body. Only two of the three "wheels" are visible in the picture.

These roller "wheels" put a point load on the surface they run in which quickly punches through the case hardening on the CV body.

Chris.
Old 10-15-2004, 09:47 AM
RT

What chu talking about Willis? I'm talking line contact baby:

no smoke, no mirrors, no anti-gravity boots those bad boyz are standing on their own
Old 10-15-2004, 03:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

chris, can you predict how much more power this can cope if it's in a honda s2k? How much will this whole setup cost and how long can you get one ready for me?
Old 10-16-2004, 10:23 PM
RT

WTF?
Old 10-17-2004, 03:44 AM

^ huh did I miss something
Old 10-17-2004, 07:41 AM

RT - I do not understand the method of failure on this part other than previous posts discussing the failure occurring on the driver side first. (?).

Is it catastrophic failure or will warning signs appear?

Other threads warn of a 'Perfect Launch' breaking the CV. Is this true?

Did the 6 or 7 CVs you discussed have significant breakdown even with the 'Flat' design? Is there a maintenance program to prolong life? I can't imagine grease helping an overload condition.

Does the LSD play a significant role in this loading?

I have Rick's 4.57 gears in hand, was thinking comptech diff(But, am now very interested in kaneS2K housing and lsd). The axles seem to be the final step in curing the s2K woes during dragstrip use. I am not really a racer, but have enjoyed the occasional aroma of burning rubber in past camaros.

Thanks in advance for the replies. I have been overly concerned about this since day 1. I would like to see what the s2k will do in a hard launch situation, but fear the consequences...

Old 10-17-2004, 12:57 PM
RT

Originally Posted by honda9krpm,Oct 17 2004, 04:44 AM
^ huh did I miss something
I'm w/ you ...... this thread keeps dropping off the index like someone is deleting it

Quick Reply: Big CV's and halfshafts