S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

BIG Concern

Old 09-09-2006, 06:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BIG Concern

Hey everyone, I have one very disheartening question. I'm still in break-in period on my new 2006 GPW I've redlined it twice, shifted in the 4000 - 5500 rpm range plenty times, but the biggest worry I have is that I rev-matched and hit 2nd from 5th (I completely missed 4th) and the revs were bouncing off the limiter like crazy. But only for half a second then I shifted back into 5th. I scared the living daylights out of me though.

150 miles on the odo. (yes it's that young and I really shouldn't have this happening to the poor thing. I will baby it for the next 500 miles)

Can anyone chime in whether I should be THAT concerned?
Old 09-09-2006, 06:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, you should. You're lucky it didn't drop a valve....yet. I would go get it checked out as absolutely soon as you can. If any of the retainers cracked, you're on borrowed time. It only takes once....
Old 09-09-2006, 06:24 AM

What Rpm were you at in 5th when you tried to grab 4th but got 2nd?
Old 09-09-2006, 11:41 AM
Banned

Are you kidding me, driving a car like that when its only 150 miles into its life. This is not a constructive statement, or beneficial, but here it goes

You belong in a honda civic, not s2k.

Im sorry but you hurting a car like that just furiates me, goodbye
Old 09-09-2006, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by davidvonyork,Sep 9 2006, 03:41 PM
Are you kidding me, driving a car like that when its only 150 miles into its life. This is not a constructive statement, or beneficial, but here it goes

You belong in a honda civic, not s2k.

Im sorry but you hurting a car like that just furiates me, goodbye
Your post contributed... nothing. He asked a legitimate question, and fessed up to his error. I see nothing wrong with him asking if he caused any problems, and as a matter of fact, it was pretty mature of him to show concern and admit what happened.

Your post reminds me more of a honda civic driver's response...
...but I'm not one to judge.
Old 09-09-2006, 01:02 PM

How fast were you going?
Old 09-09-2006, 01:09 PM

You should really take some time and get used to the gear box the ratios are very close, closer than most sports cars. When I got my S I kept shifting into 5th instead of third gear and I have owned nothing but manual transmission cars in my 22 years of driving. Get used to it before driving it like you stole it.

Swiftoy
Old 09-09-2006, 01:27 PM
Banned

ok wildcardtard i said in my post that i wasnt contributing, and that it didnt help, but thanks for restating what i said? maybe thats why your name is wildcardtard and being mature? how mature are you to buy a 30k sportscar, and do EXACTLY not what the dealership said to do.

I have never owned a civic, nor driven one......my s was my first sportscar ever and i have yet to drop it in the wrong gear and overev. Before my 00' s i owned a ram 1500 automatic.
Old 09-09-2006, 01:40 PM
TJF

If you were going over 65 and hit 2nd, you need to take off the valve cover and get the retainers looked at... sooner than later. Chances are, you cracked a retainer and it is only a matter of time before you drop a valve and do some real damage.

As for driving the car hard at 150 miles, chances are, the effects of doing this will be felt as the car ages. I imagine you wont have the ring seal those of us with properly broken in cars enjoy; which will mean a) less power and b) more oil consumption.

Personally, I feel sorry for your car's next owner... in the absense of full disclosure, it is owners like yourself that tend to make buying a used sports car such a dicey proposition.
Old 09-10-2006, 05:21 AM
Former Moderator

Half second or not, that's all it takes. Get it checked out NOW.

Quick Reply: BIG Concern