S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Is it better to rev match or to coast?

Old 10-13-2012, 04:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One more question.

Is it better to double clutch?

What are the pros and cons of double clutching and single clutch rev matching?

To my understanding double clutching matches the engine speed to the gearbox speed but single clutch rev matching essentially just matches the revs. I really have no idea what I'm talking about though and I could be completely wrong, so if some one could elaborate that would be good.
Old 10-13-2012, 04:38 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by steve695
One more question.

To my understanding double clutching matches the engine speed to the gearbox speed but single clutch rev matching essentially just matches the revs. I really have no idea what I'm talking about though and I could be completely wrong, so if some one could elaborate that would be good.

double clutch is useful with a car that has NO SYNCROS it helps to give less wear.

you have part of the concept right. they both save the syncros and both match the engine speed to the transmision speed as in MPH the wheels moving. double clutch just means you push the clutch twice which is more "known" from too fast too furious. but the s2000 has syncros and there is no need to double clutch. just rev match and your good.

but just dont row through gears. even if its for one sec move into the next gear and move through your gears and go to your "final" gear of what you want and depress clutch.

more info here which supports it.

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/749...y/page__st__25

slipstream444 knows what hes talking about.
Old 10-13-2012, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by s2cho
Originally Posted by steve695' timestamp='1350174587' post='22080550
One more question.

double clutch is useful with a car that has NO SYNCROS it helps to give less wear.

you have part of the concept right. they both save the syncros and both match the engine speed to the transmision speed as in MPH the wheels moving. double clutch just means you push the clutch twice which is more "known" from too fast too furious. but the s2000 has syncros and there is no need to double clutch. just rev match and your good.

but just dont row through gears. even if its for one sec let go of clutch and depress clutch and move through your gears.

more info here which supports it.

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/749...y/page__st__25

slipstream444 knows what hes talking about.
I see, that makes sense.

Thanks for the info and the link. I'll have a sus.
Old 10-14-2012, 01:45 AM

Received 3,799 Likes on 2,677 Posts

Downshifting prior to entering a corner is great as you remain in control of the vehicle, if you are in neutral you are not totally in control of the vehicle.

But I do not downshift as I approach a red stoplight or a stop sign, I will coast as long as possible in gear then put it in neutral the last bit as I come to a stop. On that process I think it is easier to change a set of brake pads as compared to a clutch disk. It is unnecessary wear on the clutch disk to downshift down 4 or 5 years as you approach a stop sign, that's just my opinion. I do the same as I approach a dead red light, and if the light should change to green as I approach I just drop down straight to the gear that will get me going without going down sequentially, I will double clutch when I do that though. I've been driving like that for 30 years and I've never had a clutch wear out in under 100,000 miles on any of my vehicles.
Old 10-14-2012, 02:07 AM

Originally Posted by s2000maniac
rev matching is always better for less wear and tear, plus you get better gas milage and less stress on the drive train. However coasting wont harm anything, just make sure not to skip gears up shifting or down shifting. Good Luck
correct me if im wrong, but i thought skipping gears while up shifting was the problem...i dont see why skipping gears while down shifting would be bad?
Old 10-14-2012, 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by JFUSION
Downshifting prior to entering a corner is great as you remain in control of the vehicle, if you are in neutral you are not totally in control of the vehicle.

But I do not downshift as I approach a red stoplight or a stop sign, I will coast as long as possible in gear then put it in neutral the last bit as I come to a stop. On that process I think it is easier to change a set of brake pads as compared to a clutch disk. It is unnecessary wear on the clutch disk to downshift down 4 or 5 years as you approach a stop sign, that's just my opinion. I do the same as I approach a dead red light, and if the light should change to green as I approach I just drop down straight to the gear that will get me going without going down sequentially, I will double clutch when I do that though. I've been driving like that for 30 years and I've never had a clutch wear out in under 100,000 miles on any of my vehicles.
Yeah if I'm going to shift down skipping a gear (say 4th to second) I tend to double clutch as well.

And yeah, I will only downshift to a red light if I can see that it is about to change, or if there are attractive females driving next to me.
Old 10-14-2012, 05:34 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by s2kmiami69
Originally Posted by s2000maniac' timestamp='1350173021' post='22080509
rev matching is always better for less wear and tear, plus you get better gas milage and less stress on the drive train. However coasting wont harm anything, just make sure not to skip gears up shifting or down shifting. Good Luck
correct me if im wrong, but i thought skipping gears while up shifting was the problem...i dont see why skipping gears while down shifting would be bad?
it doesnt matter if you are up shifting or down shifting. if you skip gears you will "burr" the syncros and have gear lock out problems.
Old 10-14-2012, 08:53 AM

again to clarify...this isnt something i do on the regular...but say im coming into a 2nd gear corner and i was in 4th...you're saying i cant just brake and go to 2nd?
Old 10-14-2012, 08:57 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Yes, you have to go to 3rd first then 2nd
Old 10-14-2012, 09:03 AM

seems like that would slow you down/be a wasted gear change...no offense mu but id like to have this confirmed by others...namely billman

Quick Reply: Is it better to rev match or to coast?