S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Is it better to rev match or to coast?

Old 10-13-2012, 04:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it better to rev match or to coast?

Hey all.

Most of my friends drive manual cars and the majority of them 'coast'. I'm not sure that know or have been taught any other way.

Anyway, I have always rev matched when I downshift, just by blipping the throttle sharply every time I go down a gear and if I'm going into a corner I tend to heel and toe. I have done it like this for 3 years and have never thought about possible damage that it could be doing. It feels smoother and I have had people in my car for over an hour before they have realized that it's a manual.
I always go up and down one gear at a time and never skip shift, and if I do skip shift I row through the gears on the way up.

So my question is, does driving the way I drive cause extra ware and tare on the engine and transmission compared to just coasting?

Rolling in Neutral and riding the clutch slowly out all the way around a corner to slow down doesn't feel right to me. Also I find when people downshift fast without rev matching the sudden jump in the revs gives an awful jerk. Surely this can't be good for the engine?

Is the way I drive unnecessary? Is it ok to slow down rolling in neutral then selecting the lower gear when it's time to accelerate again? What is the better way of doing things?

Thanks
Old 10-13-2012, 04:03 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

rev matching is always better for less wear and tear, plus you get better gas milage and less stress on the drive train. However coasting wont harm anything, just make sure not to skip gears up shifting or down shifting. Good Luck
Old 10-13-2012, 04:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I always rev match during down shift and try not to ever skip gears. I love the sound of my car and I enjoy it. Good or not, that's how I drive it.
Old 10-13-2012, 04:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rev match all the time. I do it because staying in gear keeps me ready to accelerate through the next turn.

IIRC, in some places it's actually required to stay in gear and not coast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-13-2012, 04:14 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

just dont skip gears, our trannys are go out fast if you skip gears and they will lock up given time.

example,

redline 1'st 2nd and then put it into 6th thats a no no!!! dun do that!!!

but if your going 55mph and a jack wanger cuts you off and you go into neutral and your coasting, just dont put it into 6th gear. do what you have been doing rev match the best you can. rev it a bit and let the rpms drop and let off the clutch when its right.

but going into a corner its not nesscary to healtoe. just break in second and take the turn and get on the gas. or clutch and take the turn, rev a bit and gas and let off clutch but leave it in 2nd dont take it out.

when your rolling just rev match and put it into the gear you desire.
Old 10-13-2012, 04:17 PM

Thanks heaps guys. I will keep driving how I do then.

You say not to skip gears. I agree with this. However say for example, you reach your desired speed (say 80kph) in third, is it ok to then row through 4th without releasing the clutch and then putting it in 5th then releasing the clutch?
Old 10-13-2012, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by MySpaceTOM
I always rev match during down shift and try not to ever skip gears. I love the sound of my car and I enjoy it. Good or not, that's how I drive it.
I quite enjoy the sound too. My car sounds like it is being driven properly when I drive it.

I do however, get some strange looks from normal traffic because they don't know what the hell it is.
Old 10-13-2012, 04:25 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by steve695

You say not to skip gears. I agree with this. However say for example, you reach your desired speed (say 80kph) in third, is it ok to then row through 4th without releasing the clutch and then putting it in 5th then releasing the clutch?
YES
Old 10-13-2012, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by s2000maniac
Originally Posted by steve695' timestamp='1350173867' post='22080526

YES
Ok cool, thanks.
Old 10-13-2012, 04:27 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by steve695

yes you can do that!

so if its even for a second, put it in every gear with your foot down on the clutch. even if its for 1 sec. it helps everything to be smooth and keep everything in working order.

edit:
OOPSSS i contradicted myself fixed! i thought you said going from 80 MPH not kph... i should have read closly

Quick Reply: Is it better to rev match or to coast?