S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

better ground = better performance???

Old 08-04-2003, 06:13 AM
STL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default better ground = better performance???

Sounds like BS to me:
http://www.z-xtreme.com/GroundingKit.htm
Even if by some chance it's not, the $75 price for the wire is crazy-expensive.
Old 08-04-2003, 07:23 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

First see my comments here...

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...?threadid=92377

Now let's tear apart what THESE morons wrote...

Automotive electrical and computer systems are designed to tolerate up to 100% noise on their input lines.
Uh, no...not even a good try on this one. If ANY signal line could withstand 100% noise and the signal is still readable then I have a seriously high-paying job for you in the communications design industry. I get first dibs on anything you want to patent!

Meaning, if the ECU is expecting a 12-volt input signal, the signal may vary in the range of 0 to 12 volts.
Not necessarily, but this is such an obviously stupid and simplistic statement in it's INTENDED meaning as to not truly warrant any of my wrath.

Fluctuations in signal are due to noise and resistance in the system.
Wow, talk about not having a clue about how signals propogate along a line...resistance does NOT make a signal fluctuate, it only attentuates it (unless that resistance is itself fluctuating, which is unlikely).

Noise is generated by spark plugs firing, discharges through the tires to the road, alternator turning on/off, etc.
Well, they got the first and last part right, but discharges through the tires into the road?! Oh hell, I'm so dumbfounded I can't even think of a witty comment to say here, so let's just roll on to the next statement.

Resistance is the inability of the system to conduct electricity properly.
No, it's conducting the electricity properly...kind of a dumb way to put it. Increased resistance decreases the average number of electrons pushing through the wire (in a manner of speaking), but now i'm starting to split hairs (what, were they naughty electrons and that's why they acted improperly?).

One of the best-proven ways to compensate for noise and resistance is with proper grounding.
Well I'll be damned, they got something right for a change!

Engine grounding has been used in the racing industry for years. The benefits have been proven and documented.
Well I would hope they've been using engine grounding in standard automobiles all of these years...if they haven't, there are a BUNCH of batteries and engines with a huge surplus of charge just waiting to explode. This is kind of a no brainer, isn't it?

The Custom Engine Grounding Kit allows for cleaner data transfer to the ECU.
This is flat out false advertising. The gorunding system is for the engine, not the ECU...it does absolutely ZERO for helping out with the ECU signals. This statement alone would make me throw the system away.

The result is more accurate measurements by the ECU and therefore more accurate performance, smoother idle and better acceleration.
Everything before the comma is wrong, everything after the comma is an acceptable claim but not guaranteed.

# Five grounding cables made of 4 gauge audio quality 99.9% oxygen free high grade, high stranded copper wire.
I'm not sure you can find any copper cables these days that AREN'T 99.9% oxygen free...if you could, they'd be green the entire way through. See my comments on this one in the previously mentioned thread.

Each wire is insulated with a chemical and heat resistant coating able to withstand gasoline, oil, and temperatures of up to 125 degrees C.
Nothing special here...but don't let that wire touch the hot block of header for too long.

# Gold plated ring terminals which maximize the conductivity at the connection points and inhibit corrosion.
Woh, they got two things right so far...will wonders never cease!

The Standard 5 Wire Grounding Kits are $75 plus shipping.
Oh GOODY!!! I can buy something for 3 times the price what it would take me to make it with simple tools. Where do I sign up?!?!?

Yes, I'm procrastinating packing for Florida....