S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Best way to put the engine back in my S? Help

Old 07-20-2007, 12:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best way to put the engine back in my S? Help

Well I bought my car with no motor in it and I just got my new one all assembled short of the injectors. I will be putting everything back in this weekend and wanted a few pointers on doing it. I have done several fwd honda swaps so I am very familiar on how those work. Your advice please!

As far as tools go, I have a ceiling engine hoist and can get the car up about 2 feet on jackstands if needed.

1. Motor and trans all at once? Slide it in through the top. It looks like it will fit but I'm not sure. Can this be done?

2. Motor in first through the top, the trans in through the bottom. The person I bought the car from told me to do it this way, but getting to the transmission bolts seems like it may be a pain to do (atleast the top ones). Eh, Eh?

3. Any chance of putting the whole motor and trans in through the bottom by bolting it to the lower sub frame or something like that? Maybe?

4. Last is the wiring, currently the engine wiring is still in the car and running through the fire wall connected to the ecu. Usually it is hard to plug everything up to the motor once it is sitting bolted up in the bay.
On civic swaps I just undo the wiring from the ecu through the fire wall and the wiring to the fuse box then leave it on the motor all plugged up still. Is this the way to do an S2K as well?

Any advice on these things would be great as it will make my swap this weekend go smoothly. Oh and I live in Akron ohio if there are any S2K gurus nearby that love to help fellow s2k owners with swaps, just a thought, maybe.

Thanks a milllion,
Phil.
Old 07-21-2007, 10:00 AM

Sorry you are not getting more help on this, I will give you a bump with what little I have to offer. I believe the only way the trans and engine can go in from the top is without the head. There is not enough clearance when the assembly is tilted. Engine from the top, trans from the bottom seems a good plan and even though bolting up the trans may be a b*tch, there are clutch write-ups here with plenty of information. Good luck, maybe some more will chime in, even to refute.
Old 07-21-2007, 12:19 PM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

There was a thread a little while back of a UK guy who did the entire swap with pictures. I remember one of him standing in his engine bay.

Anyone remember that thread?
Old 07-21-2007, 04:26 PM

more assistance would be nice please. And you s2k owners call yourselves car people. People never pull these motors out? I have a hard time believing that.

Old 07-21-2007, 07:20 PM

You can do it a few different ways.. I'm pretty sure the engine and trans will fit through the engine bay if oyu remove the radiator and everything behind it. You would probablt have to use a lot of angle and support the tranny from beneath with a jack as you roll back.

You could also Install the engine first and install the tranny from beneath. There's a diy on here of how to install the tranny.

Wiring harness is the same as any other Honda you've worked on. The fastest way to do the swap would be to take the subframe out of the car and bolt the engine and tranny to it. Then raise the subframe back into the car.
Old 07-21-2007, 10:37 PM

[QUOTE=HornyPhil,Jul 21 2007, 04:26 PM]more assistance would be nice please.
Old 07-22-2007, 05:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A couple of UK guys have done it from below with the whole lot on the subframe. It needs the car up high on a lift though
Old 07-22-2007, 06:05 PM

sounds good guys, didn't have time this weekend to do it but I'm gonna try going in through the bottom after bolting the whole thing onto the subframe.

I'll let you know how it goes this week.
Old 07-25-2007, 07:22 AM

It is possible to put the engine/trans in as one piece, but its more of a pain than its worth.. you would pretty much need a car lift.

What you will have to do is drop the engine in, then drop the subframe about 3" (method is described in the Helms, you use the 4 longest bolts on the subframe and back them out). Then you put the trans in from the bottom. It is a pain to line it all up, and get the top drivers side tranny-engine bolt in, but you just have to do it. You will need a LONG extension to do it, but its possible. If the starter and some of the wiring is out of the way under the intake manifold, its a little easier.

I thought about trying to drop the whole assembly in in one piece, but I didnt even try. the problem is that the transmission will start to hit the firewall, and there is nowhere to go with it.

Search for some of my threads on replacing the engine, and there should be more details if you need them.

edit: just saw that you were gonna drop the whole subframe all the way off. thats also do-able, but it'll most likely be easier by just doing the engine from the top, tranny from the bottom.
Old 07-25-2007, 11:58 AM

put engine in, then put trans in. thats the only way. ive tried to pull them as unit, like a V8. just to see if it could be done. mass damage would have ensued.
id borrow a factory workshop manual from your local honda dealer, and then go by that. its pretty simple. just be real careful, and dont forget to disconnect the steering shaft from the rack when you lower the subframe. PM is any other Q's later dave

Quick Reply: Best way to put the engine back in my S? Help