S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Best way to fix soft-top wind noise at windshield header?

Old 04-27-2023, 01:53 PM

Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts
Default Best way to fix soft-top wind noise at windshield header?

Background: I need to fix the common problem of the soft top not being held down tight enough. On the highway, there is annoying wind noise from the gap between the windshield and the soft top. Physically holding the top down by hand cures this, confirming the problem.

I watched the excellent, as always, DIYGuys video:

But his fix seems janky. Is there a better solution? Replacing the strikers with hard-top strikers is suggested elsewhere. Someone mentioned an adjustment but I haven't bothered to dig into the manual for it yet:

Originally Posted by jguerdat
Actually, there *is* an adjustment but it's not on the latches themselves. The adjustment is detailed on page 20-49 of the PDF manual and page 20-47 of the official 2001 hardcopy manual.
Old 04-27-2023, 04:19 PM

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

Get some Shin-Etsu grease and apply liberally to the rubber around the soft top. Use your fingers (with some rubber gloves) and work it into the rubber. Wipe the excess off.

It may not cure the wind problem, but it should help.
Old 04-27-2023, 05:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What I do is attach latches. After that I pull up e brake and press open top button for a second so it engages. It pulls on the top and claps it down. Works for me.
Old 04-27-2023, 05:58 PM

I bought some Shin-Etsu grease and plan to treat the weather stripping. But I don't see how that's going to help the top not latching tight enough...

I've read the trick about pressing the button to "open" the top after it's closed, but that's even more janky and not the solution I'm looking for.

My NB Miata had this problem except that it was MUCH worse. I could actually see daylight through the corners. The latches were totally worn out. I think they can be rebuilt, but I just bought new ones and it completely fixed the problem. But new S2000 latches are even more expensive, and mine don't feel worn out.
Old 04-28-2023, 02:46 AM

Received 326 Likes on 231 Posts

Thanks for the hint with the OEM Workshop manual. In a other S2000 forum in wich i was a member everybody told me that you can not adjust the tension of the top - the gap on the windshield, because the latches are not adjustabele. I told them that Honda described it as adjustable, but the forum Rule "The majority is right, even if they are wrong" applied.

Just read this Thread, flipped up my OEM workshop manual (Its Page 20-50 in my Bishko Copy) and i had my "Oh boy!" Moment. Short: You can adjust the tension, but not on the latches. Typicall great Honda enginerring.
Old 04-28-2023, 04:07 AM

Received 1,403 Likes on 840 Posts

Part of my once over is modified latches.

It involves welding the inside of the hooks on the latches. On the latches, you will also see a little point sticking out. On the strikers, there is a pyramid shaped box. After welding the latches, the point is pulled tight into the box, resulting in a pressure fit. It is a 100% cure for any wind noise, and any single rattle that a hardtop can make.

You can experience this temporarily by fitting a piece of fuel hose over the hooks. If you are not opening and closing the top frequently, the hose will last many months.
The following users liked this post:
Save the Manual Wagons! (04-28-2023)
Old 04-28-2023, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by Billman250
It involves welding the inside of the hooks on the latches. On the latches, you will also see a little point sticking out. On the strikers, there is a pyramid shaped box. After welding the latches, the point is pulled tight into the box, resulting in a pressure fit. It is a 100% cure for any wind noise, and any single rattle that a hardtop can make.

You can experience this temporarily by fitting a piece of fuel hose over the hooks. If you are not opening and closing the top frequently, the hose will last many months.
Thanks Billman! Good info. P.S. - love the TCT I bought from you last year

Below is the adjustment suggested by Honda, page 20-49 in my factory service manual:

Last edited by Save the Manual Wagons!; 04-28-2023 at 09:07 AM.
Mr.Matchbox (04-29-2023)
Old 04-29-2023, 03:21 AM

Part of my once over is modified latches.

Would you like to share pictures to claryfi things?
Old 04-29-2023, 04:55 AM

Received 1,403 Likes on 840 Posts

The adjustment in the manual does not address any gap between the top and the windshield. It has no effect on wind noise.

I dont have pictures, the parts are easy to spot.
Save the Manual Wagons! (04-29-2023)
Old 04-30-2023, 10:14 AM

I dont have pictures, the parts are easy to spot.
Problem is that at some point picturers could be very helpfull for non-native english speakers.

EDIT: Spcifially the part about "Welding the hooks". Do you mean ADDING metall to the Hooks by welding? I have read your Description many times, i think now i have figured out what you mean, but i am still unsure.

Last edited by Mr.Matchbox; 05-01-2023 at 01:47 AM.