S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Best way to drive to save the clutch

Old 07-06-2014, 09:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best way to drive to save the clutch

Hey everyone. So here's the story, I'm basically new to driving a standard car. (Had the car for about 4 months, and only put about 130mi on it so far) I bought the car with a brand new clutch

Basically i want to know if the way I'm driving is going to wreck my clutch over time. If so what are better ways??

Here's how i drive

-When starting out in gear, i rev the engine lightly to about 2000rpms, release the clutch, feel it grab, and hold it for about 1-2 seconds, and release.

-When shifting through the gears, i release my foot off the gas, clutch in (to the floor), select the gear i want, clutch out, while applying a very little amount of gas. NOTE: sometimes the car is abit jerky

Stoplights: come to stop light with the car in gear. If i know i will have to fully stop i push the clutch in, neutral, clutch out. Then when i see the light start to change on the other side, clutch in, select gear and go.

Any advice is welcome, i just want my clutch to last a long time and not hurt my baby, thanks everyone!

P.S i never ground a gear, or burned the clutch, so I'm happy about that. I'd be ready to kill myself if either happened haha

I have stalled the car quite a bit though :/ makes me sad each time it happens ( it mostly happens when getting in the garage where you have to drive the car REALLY slow and kind of ride the clutch or youll go to fast and hit something or the wall, i have a small garage)
Old 07-06-2014, 10:09 AM

Received 3,799 Likes on 2,677 Posts

Holding the clutch for up to 2 seconds upon launch seems like a bit too long by your description, keeping it closer to 1 sec may be okay. Releasing the clutch fully as soon as possible is best for the clutch at launch, hold it just enough to keep it smooth, increase rpms a bit if needed. Releasing the clutch quicker with more rpms is probably better than holding the clutch longer at the engagement point longer with lower rpms (if that makes sense).

If you are stalling at low speed you may need a bit more revs, don't go crazy though.

The jerkiness when shifting through the gears when the vehicle is moving is a sign that you are releasing the clutch too fast. Go a bit slower in that situation with proper rev matching using the gas pedal, again don't go crazy. It will take some practice.
Old 07-06-2014, 10:11 AM

Seems like your driving is fine. Just don't rest your foot on the clutch petal while driving.
Old 07-06-2014, 01:20 PM

Pratice practice practice my first car was a dc5 type R and never drove manual before. You will get accustomed.
Old 07-07-2014, 06:05 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rev match downshifts. I'm sure YouTube has plenty of demos to help you get the idea. But first and foremost, you have to feel and work the car. Each clutch is going to have a different feel to it and someone telling you how to do something on a video will only give you the general theory.
Old 07-07-2014, 04:12 PM

Thanks for the help everyone,i basically have the shifting part down pretty well, now its just starting out in gear and The dreaded hill start
Old 07-07-2014, 04:56 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I seem to recall you are in Utah (?). If you would like some personal instruction let me know PM me (if in Utah). There is no shame in learning how to slip a clutch; particularly on a hill. I have taught several young drivers. It's a shame so few people can actually drive a stick anymore. I recently checked out some GM ground pounders and was appalled none were manual. Are you frigging kidding me!

Utah
Old 07-07-2014, 10:04 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You description sounds fine. Don't worry too much about turning your driving into process. Just practice and you'll get it right. It will soon seem like second nature
Old 07-08-2014, 06:59 PM

Clutches are cheap, gearboxes are not. 1-2second release from a stop into first is fine.
From there learn to rev-match and then toe-n-heal. It helps take stress off the gearbox and makes for a smoother progression into a turn. Ie., no buck, and if there is a slight buck you're burring it into the braking.
Old 07-08-2014, 11:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

^^ agree to miles603. save your engine and transmission. 1~2 second of half clutching is okay. I start the car in lower rpm like 1400. I sometimes start with second gear and hold the clutch about 4~5 second. just dont burn your clutch. that's worst thing for clutch's lives. How long do I use it? I changed my last clutch at 80k miles including track mileage. Yes, it's definitely not a long life, but all my engine, tranny and diffy are all happy. my track instructor told me to control the drivetrain shock by controlling clutch slip while downshifting since 100% perfect rev matching is very hard. anyways you are driving fine

Quick Reply: Best way to drive to save the clutch