S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Best Suspension Kit For < $2000

Old 06-26-2001, 07:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Suspension Kit For < $2000

I was trying to feel out my suspension options to get ready to buy here in the next month or so. Basically I want to get a complete coilover kit that will allow me to adjust stiffness, and ride hight at least. The more adjustable, the better I suppose, but at this point I don't really know much about suspension tuning.

At this point it looks like the best options are the H&R kit and the Zeal kit. The H&R runs around 1600, and I believe the Zeal is a little bit more expensive (1800-2000??). However the Zeal is "6 way and height adjustable", whatever those 6 ways I don't know..

Also, How low can I go with out having to worry about getting a camber kit??

Thanks

Chris
Old 06-26-2001, 07:32 AM

have you tried the Bilstein Coilover?? I just bought them for 800, but haven't install them in yet...
Old 06-26-2001, 07:45 AM

No, it's my understanding that you can't adjust the stiffness of the ride at all, just ride height.. However, I have heard that they are very good for what you pay for..

I want to make a semi race car so I suppose that the more adjustable the better ..
Old 06-26-2001, 08:19 AM

Fully adjustible is the way to go if you are interested in true suspension tuning. I had a SPAX 24-way adjutible system in my Jetta and it was awsome. I would go with the H&R with total confidence. They have a reputation of making awsome stuff. If it's go enough for racing 996 turbos, it's good enough for me.

Andy
Old 06-26-2001, 08:21 AM

Bilstein
Zeal function B2
Tein RA
Buddy club
Old 06-26-2001, 08:34 AM

King motor sports has some awesome shocks if you are looking to upgrade and maybe do some autocross, I think they came out about 4 months ago, but they are a little pricey about $3600 from what I remember
Old 06-26-2001, 08:52 AM

Received 70 Likes on 49 Posts

HKS,
H&R,
KYB AGX Shocks with a coil-over collar and perch setup,
Apexi (sport coil-overs),
Tokico (illuminas---I don't think they are avail. for S2K yet).
Old 06-26-2001, 01:08 PM

Originally posted by Luder94
HKS,
H&R,
KYB AGX Shocks with a coil-over collar and perch setup,
Apexi (sport coil-overs),
Tokico (illuminas---I don't think they are avail. for S2K yet).
Does KYB and Apexi has shocks available for the stook at this moment??
Old 06-26-2001, 01:21 PM

Received 70 Likes on 49 Posts

From last reading in some tuner magazine, KYB had slated a fittment for the AGX line for our cars sometime this summer.

And apexi was supposed to have the World Sport line available for the S2K this summer, while the N1's would be available next summer.

Again....this is from the same magazine that stated the Jackson Racing Supercharger for the H22a would be available 1 year and 10 months before it was actually made available.

I should have thought about that before I answered in my last post.
Old 06-26-2001, 03:21 PM

The H&R coilover is not stiff adjustable. Same as the Bilstein. Bilstein makes the shocks, H&R the springs. The price I have seen quoted for the Bilstein here in the forum is a bargain. However I have no idea about the way they perform, I did not like the shock damping & rebound curves that I saw (basically symetrical!) and the spring rates were also quite odd (stiffer than stock at the front, softer than stock at the rear).

Based on their reputation, the best bet for a sub $2000 system is to wait for the Koni shocks that are coming later this year... or do as I did and get the Honda Sports Suspension.

Having had a few days of spirited driving, I'm extremelly happy with the compromise that Honda came up with. There is less body roll, the car settles quicker on bumps and on weight transfer, has quicker reactions to driver input, all without significantly degrading the ride. My only complaint is the amount of lowering that, IMO is too conservative. -20mm instead of -10mm would be ideal for me.

Quick Reply: Best Suspension Kit For < $2000