S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Best Spark Plugs for N/A

Old 03-01-2014, 07:02 PM

Received 1,744 Likes on 1,039 Posts

Originally Posted by APaul1
Originally Posted by Car Analogy' timestamp='1393722839' post='23041327
The one thing I'd be wary of with copper is the more frequent plug changes means more wear on the threads in the head, and more chance to accidentally strip the threads.

For many that risk makes the longer lasting platinum and irridium a better deal.
wouldn't frequent spark plug change be better for the threads? It's hard to accidently strip the threads if you going in by hand and not over torquing em. I'm more worried about changing plugs that haven't been changed last 120k cause its a long life iridium plug or just any other plug that has been unchanged due to owners neglect of maint.
I would say yes and no. From time to time you will read about somebody screwing up the threads despite them being careful. Things that can go wrong may go wrong. I had a real issue with a socket that refused to come back out after torquing the plug. You may inadvertently miss the threads and mess things up a bit before realizing it or the full extent may rear its head a couple of changes down the line.

I changed mine at 43K because I had to get in there to do a valve adjust. The plugs looked pretty good but I decided to change them anyway. If nothing else pops up to get my notice I don't plan on changing the plugs for another 50K miles when I do another valve job. If you don't have to play with the plugs, I would think it is better to leave them alone as much as you can to reduce the probability of dicking it up.

Others with more experience may have different feelings.
Old 03-01-2014, 09:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That was a NGK Platinum. No clue what the hell happened with it but my guess is manufactured defect. Those plugs only had 15k on them. Nicked up an exhaust and intake valve to which wasn't fun.
Old 03-02-2014, 01:16 AM

Looks like detonation damage.
Old 03-02-2014, 03:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SouthDakotaS2K
+1, can't blame the plug...
Old 03-03-2014, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by SouthDakotaS2K
The plugs job is to withstand detonation. How is it not the plugs fault? Now I've ran NGK's in every vehicle I've owned and never had a single issue with them. And I'm far from making an argument against NGK's as I will still use them I'm just simply pointing out that every plug has failures. It just the amount of failures is what makes one plug better then another.
Old 03-03-2014, 09:09 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

That damage was not the fault of the plug, surprised you didnt have more of the motor melted.

You guys are really over thinking this.. as far as performance a new plug is better than an old plug and 90% of the time it wont make any difference assuming the heat range and gap are correct.

Iridum will last longer than copper or nickel, thats common since. you are looking at 2.50 a plug vs about $8.50 a plug. When cheap plugs wear down you throw em out, most of the time with an iridium plug you can just re-set the gap and be good to go.
Old 03-03-2014, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by wadzii
That damage was not the fault of the plug, surprised you didnt have more of the motor melted.

You guys are really over thinking this.. as far as performance a new plug is better than an old plug and 90% of the time it wont make any difference assuming the heat range and gap are correct.

Iridum will last longer than copper or nickel, thats common since. you are looking at 2.50 a plug vs about $8.50 a plug. When cheap plugs wear down you throw em out, most of the time with an iridium plug you can just re-set the gap and be good to go.
iridiums and platinums aren't meant to be regapped...that's a good way to break an electrode off and toast some cylinder walls
Old 03-03-2014, 02:20 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

We've been regapping iridium plugs since the day they came out. If you aren't a ham fisted oaf you'll be fine
Old 03-03-2014, 02:36 PM

We've been regapping iridium plugs since the day they came out. If you aren't a ham fisted oaf you'll be fine

eh, as I do see your point, personally ill just keep using the good old tried, trusted, and true copper plugs...theyre a whole lot cheaper and I track my car heavily so I don't mind changing them every other oil change
Old 03-03-2014, 03:21 PM

Received 1,744 Likes on 1,039 Posts

You can go to the NGK website for a quick video how to gap iridium plugs. Short answer is NOT to use the old style circular gauge gapper. Use a wire one to carefully check the gap then use the "wrench" part to ever so gently move the L shaped piece. Does not take much force.

Quick Reply: Best Spark Plugs for N/A