S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Best Spark Plugs for N/A

Old 02-26-2014, 08:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Anthony_Fresh2k
Just checking to see if this works from my phone
Old 02-26-2014, 09:17 PM

Received 1,744 Likes on 1,039 Posts

Just went on a spark plug binge and did 3 vehicles. All NGK. They have some inexpensive platinum alloy plugs for my Tacoma and Tbird that were about $3 a pop.
For the S I did the OEM; it ran about $38 with free shipping from eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Acura-Honda-...4ce34a&vxp=mtr

Never heard a negative on these plugs, only pros.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:23 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dwight
Originally Posted by CJB22' timestamp='1306010101' post='20600710
Hey everyone what plugs do you all use? I'm looking at either the NGK laser Iridium or Denso's Iridium Power plugs. Any advice would be great!
I don't know why the S2000 has platinum NGK plugs as OEM, when other cars like the RSX-S use the iridium flavor. Right now I'm on the stock NGK platinum ones, but I'll be using the iridium ones when I stop being lazy. As far as I could tell, there was no downside to iridium plugs so chose them. Maybe someone can chime in if I'm wrong.
I think it's because when the s2000 came out iridium a did not exist yet and Honda never changed it. Could be wrong though. The iridium a are better than the platinum a in every way i beleive
Old 02-26-2014, 09:38 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I hope we all realize that this thread is almost 3 years old, and was randomly bumped up by a noob testing out his phone.

As long as we get that out of the way... haha

Anyhow, I'm with these two guys. Copper v-power's all the way. More durable than the fine tipped precious metals, and cheaper. For the price, I have no problems changing them every few thousand. Mind you, I consider my engine to be "severe service", as it's a track car, running high compression. For a mildly modded street car, use the oem recommended plugs. Set it and forget it!

Let's get one thing straight, there is no power difference between spark plug materials. The fancy stuff is intended for long replacement intervals.

Originally Posted by Tsmilliner
Be careful and make sure to change way before the recommended periodicity.
I had a set of densos and went 28k and one lost a tip which subsequently beat the hell out of the cylinder and actually cracked the head.

Since then nothing but NGK plugs for me. The 1-2 hp gain isn't worth the price or the risk in my opinion. At the price I change them every other oil change.

Google and you'll see that with high compression and boosted engines it is a known and not so uncommon occurrence for them to lose a tip inside engine.

Mine is NA btw

By NGK I mean the stock ones not the IRD's

Originally Posted by redlineracing
The word "Best" is a nebulous term.No one truly knows what is best,but most of us DO know what is the best we have personally used.

I run NGK V-Power copper plugs in ALL my cars.Very good,approx $2 ea and yes they don't last as long,but since they are good,cheap and it's only a 30 min change job,I change mine every 15-20k.

My 03S likes the NGK BKR7E.

\rlr
carolina
Old 02-27-2014, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by 06Estukay
Anyhow, I'm with these two guys. Copper v-power's all the way. More durable than the fine tipped precious metals, and cheaper. For the price, I have no problems changing them every few thousand.
My other cars had "V" power plugs and after 40K miles I could see erosion of the plug, the gap increased. The V was a melted lower case u. I pulled original Iridium plugs from the S and other than some brown dust, they were unchanged. For less than a half tank of gas you can have the best plugs.
Old 02-27-2014, 07:24 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I put ngk iridium part number 2668 in everything. They work in nearly everything and last a LONG time.
Old 03-01-2014, 08:08 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by cosmomiller
Originally Posted by 06Estukay' timestamp='1393483082' post='23036497

Anyhow, I'm with these two guys. Copper v-power's all the way. More durable than the fine tipped precious metals, and cheaper. For the price, I have no problems changing them every few thousand.
My other cars had "V" power plugs and after 40K miles I could see erosion of the plug, the gap increased. The V was a melted lower case u. I pulled original Iridium plugs from the S and other than some brown dust, they were unchanged. For less than a half tank of gas you can have the best plugs.
Kind of an apples to bananas comparison. V power plugs in your other cars... Not really relevant to the S2000. For all we know, you could have been using the wrong heat range, the cars could have had other underlying problems, etc. Not to mention, 40k is asking a lot for a copper plug. Should have been changed at around 20k.

If you're going to quote someone, then quote the whole thing. Like I said, copper plugs simply require more frequent service intervals. The advantage of iridium plugs is they last a lot longer. Iridiums are not the 'best plugs'. It all depends on application.
Old 03-01-2014, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by 06Estukay
Originally Posted by cosmomiller' timestamp='1393515544' post='23037032
[quote name='06Estukay' timestamp='1393483082' post='23036497']

Kind of an apples to bananas comparison. V power plugs in your other cars... Not really relevant to the S2000. For all we know, you could have been using the wrong heat range, the cars could have had other underlying problems, etc. Not to mention, 40k is asking a lot for a copper plug. Should have been changed at around 20k.

If you're going to quote someone, then quote the whole thing. Like I said, copper plugs simply require more frequent service intervals. The advantage of iridium plugs is they last a lot longer. Iridiums are not the 'best plugs'. It all depends on application.
[/quote]

You make good points and I agree I was not precise in my comments. There is some circular reasoning here but the point I wanted to hit on was the "Copper V power is more durable than the fine tipped precious metals and cheaper". Cheaper yes and if you change them frequently good for you. I do the same with cheaper Mobil 1 vs expensive Amsoil oil.

However, both the S and my other cars went pretty much the same distance and the ones with the copper V power had eroded gaps compared to no apparent change with the S's stock iridium. My S IS a different car, yes, but I would think the S has a greater dynamic operating envelope (more stress on the plug) than my airport Thunderbird's V-8. (Even though I have not tracked my car)

I would only add my personal preference of avoiding multiple cycles of loosening and tightening plugs (even at proper torque) if you can to preserve plug thread integrity.

See what we can get with a resurrected post from a noob with a new iphone!
Old 03-01-2014, 04:13 PM

Received 1,460 Likes on 1,082 Posts

The one thing I'd be wary of with copper is the more frequent plug changes means more wear on the threads in the head, and more chance to accidentally strip the threads.

For many that risk makes the longer lasting platinum and irridium a better deal.
Old 03-01-2014, 06:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
The one thing I'd be wary of with copper is the more frequent plug changes means more wear on the threads in the head, and more chance to accidentally strip the threads.

For many that risk makes the longer lasting platinum and irridium a better deal.
wouldn't frequent spark plug change be better for the threads? It's hard to accidently strip the threads if you going in by hand and not over torquing em. I'm more worried about changing plugs that haven't been changed last 120k cause its a long life iridium plug or just any other plug that has been unchanged due to owners neglect of maint.

Quick Reply: Best Spark Plugs for N/A