S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Best place for Michigan pre-purchase Inspection

Old 06-15-2016, 12:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best place for Michigan pre-purchase Inspection

Hi all,

I'm going to buying an S2k in the near future and I was wondering where a great place to get it inspected is in the Metro-Detroit area? I was looking at the guide on the forum for what to look for and what to check so I've got a pretty good grasp on things, but I'd like to take it to a good place for a good pre-purchase inspection where they would also hopefully know more in specific to the car as well.

Will most Honda dealers be good options or are they no better than an independent?

Thanks in advance for all your help, can't wait to finally get one!!!
Old 06-15-2016, 12:42 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,235 Likes on 1,079 Posts

A S2000 enthusiast is probably better than a Honda dealer.

Just what do you think is involved in a pre-purchase inspection? What concerns to you have? I ain't letting some bozo drop the oil pan or remove the valve cover if I sell my car. Any of them.

-- Chuck
Old 06-15-2016, 01:04 PM

Received 1,441 Likes on 1,073 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck S
A guy off the street that knows how to spell S2000 would be better than the dealer...

Sent from my SM-G920P using IB AutoGroup
Old 06-15-2016, 01:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck S

Just what do you think is involved in a pre-purchase inspection? What concerns to you have? I ain't letting some bozo drop the oil pan or remove the valve cover if I sell my car. Any of them.

-- Chuck
https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/775...-a-used-s2000/
I was just going through this list of things to look for, and I was thinking someone that is more well versed in the car would be able to spot things easier/faster than I could. I don't think that a seller is exactly going to be all in with me taking the car for a day or two to fully look everything over myself. I mean, I know that I'm buying a ~15 year old car and all, but I still like to know what I'm buying.
Old 06-15-2016, 02:28 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,235 Likes on 1,079 Posts

Wonderful checklist for a 100 point, quarter million dollar concours d'elgance car.

When buying a larger boat insist on a marine survey. This is by a licensed marine surveyor and will note all defects. Same for houses. Alas I know of none for sports cars.

Typical owner keeps no maintenance records beyond the sticker on the windshield, don't expect any. Probably your first option is to link any ads for cars you're considering here and ask for brutal opinions (who us?). If you stray from pure OEM you're at risk; you can dlddle the car yourself easy enough.

Nothing necessarily wrong with a repaired car but there are too many cars available to settle for non-matching numbers or any Fast-n-Furious modifications. Unless the price is really low. Resale value follows originality finally. Mileage decreases value. Expect cheap cars to have major defects. Maybe they were corrected, maybe not

Remember: every one of these has been discarded by at least one owner. Discarded. Didn't want it.

I know of no one, but perhaps you'll find someone, who will hand the car over to you for more 15 minutes for a test drive. At best. Warning lights? Smell funny? Shift funny? Steering wombles? Frame look straight? Look down the sides of the body -- all straight? That's about all you're gonna get in those 15 minutes. Plan on doing any maintenance and repairs after you buy the car.

Consider buying from a Honda dealer and negotiate a 90 day warranty on hidden defects. I've not seen a sketchy S2000 at a Honda dealer yet, they auction those off to secondary sellers.

-- Chuck