S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Best OTC oil filter

Old 08-18-2004, 08:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best OTC oil filter

Fellow S2kers,

Once again I'm in need of your advise. I'm planning on doing my own oil change this weekend.

From your experience, what is the best oil filter I can buy @ Pep Boys, Kragen, etc for my S2000?

As always- thank you.
Old 08-18-2004, 09:02 AM

Take a look at this thread:

http://www.lesabret.com/filters/filter.html

Fram
Purolator Pure 1

I use the Honda PCX filter myself. You can order them through the sponsors on this board.
Old 08-18-2004, 03:32 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Mungo,Aug 18 2004, 10:10 AM
Fellow S2kers,

Once again I'm in need of your advise. I'm planning on doing my own oil change this weekend.

From your experience, what is the best oil filter I can buy @ Pep Boys, Kragen, etc for my S2000?

As always- thank you.
I used to use either Mobil 1 or Amsoil filters. Both filters are very similar in construction and media material. However, I switched to, and am staying with the 15400-PCX-004 after examining the quality of its construction and by virtue of its application specific design. The quality of the Honda PCX filter is the best right now.

If you don't want to purchase the PCX, the M1 filter is a good alternative. It's much more expensive but has extremely good filter material and better than average internal construction. I would spend the extra bones and buy the M1 if you're not going to buy the Honda PCX. I still think the PCX is currently the best filter for the S2000.
Old 08-18-2004, 06:11 PM

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

OEM Honda PCX
Old 08-18-2004, 07:17 PM

I used to used Mobil 1 but soon got tired of dropping 12 bucks on a filter and switched to NAPA (Wix) Gold.
Old 08-18-2004, 09:51 PM

The bottom line is that you have to consider all of the factors that make a good filter, and most important with the S2000 - a filter that can keep up with the high pressures generated within the F20C.
The main reason I switched to the PCX filter: it's the best on the market for the S2000 right now - period.
I wouldn't care if the filter cost $20 - because that's a drop in the bucket compared to the cost of an oil related failure.
While M1 and Amsoil filters claim to be the best on the market, you need to consider there's more than filter media at work here.
You can have the best and most efficient filter media on the planet, but if the filter is having to bypass the filter media because its seeing pressures it really can't handle - the filter media becomes worthless.
I think both Amsoil and M1 make top-notch products. However, the filters they offer for the 'S2000' application cover several car models - and as such, simply comprimise too much. You need to think of the other cars the OTC filters blanket, and then realize the After Market/OTC filters really won't work properly in an S2000 - especially one that's driven hard.
The PCX filter would be a step better if it used the filter media found in Amsoil and M1 filters. However, until this happens, the PCX is the best overall.
Old 08-19-2004, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by Mungo,Aug 18 2004, 09:10 AM
what is the best oil filter I can buy @ Pep Boys, Kragen, etc for my S2000?
Purolator Pure One is available at Pep Boys, Kragen, etc. Some Honda dealers do not carry PCX filter at all.
If you need to change your oil this weekend, Purolator Pure One is a good substitude for PCX.
Old 08-19-2004, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by TR-S2K,Aug 19 2004, 12:07 PM
Purolator Pure One is available at Pep Boys, Kragen, etc. Some Honda dealers do not carry PCX filter at all.
If you need to change your oil this weekend, Purolator Pure One is a good substitude for PCX.
Pure One's filter media is almost as good as the media used in M1 and Amsoil filters. However its bypass valve is on the weak side and its anti drainback valve is not built as well as it should be. If availability is an issue, the M1 would be my first choice and Pure One would be a distant second. A penny saved is NOT always a penny earned. The Pure 1 is less than half the cost, but is it worth the risk for $6-$7? If you have to nickel and dime that much - you own the wrong car.

If the PCX is not available where you're at, spend the extra bones this time and get the M1, then do yourself a favor and order case of PCX filters for later. You can do that via the marketplace on this site.
Old 08-19-2004, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by slipstream444,Aug 19 2004, 11:52 AM
Pure One's filter media is almost as good as the media used in M1 and Amsoil filters. However its bypass valve is on the weak side and its anti drainback valve is not built as well as it should be. If availability is an issue, the M1 would be my first choice and Pure One would be a distant second. A penny saved is NOT always a penny earned. The Pure 1 is less than half the cost, but is it worth the risk for $6-$7? If you have to nickel and dime that much - you own the wrong car.

If the PCX is not available where you're at, spend the extra bones this time and get the M1, then do yourself a favor and order case of PCX filters for later. You can do that via the marketplace on this site.
The PCX filter is the one we should use for our S2k's. But, the question from Mungo is what is the best filter for S2k that he can buy at Pep Boys, Kragen, etc that he will do his own oil change THIS WEEKEND. M1 filter may not be available at these auto part stores, they do carry Purolator Pure One for sure.

I do not try to save pennies in term of maintenance my cars. I did not have any problem in getting the right parts, because I almost always preparing and looking ahead for what I will need to get it on time. But I do not like to waste money either.

For your information, this S2k is the least expensive car I currently have, the other cars are E430 and LS400. All the cars I have right now are paid with cash when I bought them new.
Old 08-19-2004, 03:41 PM

[QUOTE=TR-S2K,Aug 19 2004, 03:50 PM] The PCX filter is the one we should use for our S2k's. But, the question from Mungo is what is the best filter for S2k that he can buy at Pep Boys, Kragen, etc that he will do his own oil change THIS WEEKEND. M1 filter may not be available at these auto part stores, they do carry Purolator Pure One for sure.

I do not try to save pennies in term of maintenance my cars. I did not have any problem in getting the right parts, because I almost always preparing and looking ahead for what I will need to get it on time. But I do not like to waste money either.

For your information, this S2k is the least expensive car I currently

Quick Reply: Best OTC oil filter