S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Best oil to Run?

Old 11-24-2012, 07:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
I always get a chuckle out of oil posts where people say 'I use X and haven't had any problems'. What sort of problems do you think you'd have? The S2000 is probably harder on oil than most any other car around, and even if you use the worst oil you can find (of the correct grade), its not like your engine is going to blow up. You'll just get less life out of it than you could have with better oil. So you wouldn't know if you had any problems until you've got the kind of miles where an S2K motor would be used up, and if your motor died near that many miles, how would you know if your choice of oil shortened its life? Its not like you know exactly how many miles you should have gotten.

Now if someone posted their oil analysis results to show how their oil choice was doing, that would be worth hearing about.
1. Well said; I have always thought that the only thing that counts that you never hear is, how many 100s of thousands of miles a car got on a particular oil, now that would get my attention!
Old 11-24-2012, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by xviper
Originally Posted by Car Analogy' timestamp='1352252041' post='22134265
I always get a chuckle out of oil posts where people say 'I use X and haven't had any problems'. What sort of problems do you think you'd have? The S2000 is probably harder on oil than most any other car around, and even if you use the worst oil you can find (of the correct grade), its not like your engine is going to blow up. You'll just get less life out of it than you could have with better oil. So you wouldn't know if you had any problems until you've got the kind of miles where an S2K motor would be used up, and if your motor died near that many miles, how would you know if your choice of oil shortened its life? Its not like you know exactly how many miles you should have gotten.

Now if someone posted their oil analysis results to show how their oil choice was doing, that would be worth hearing about.
This is the best response yet. Unfortunately, anybody who feels the need to go to an internet car forum and post up "What is the best oil?", will gravitate to such answers because they know nothing about cars or oils, are gullible, will believe any answer they hear, are willing to spend top dollar because they think that's what's "best". Unknowledgeable people can be very gullible people. Such people demand validation for their choices in life and this validation comes from other gullible people accepting their choices.
1. Do you teach psychology, Dr. xviper? Ha!
Old 11-24-2012, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by kerm1t
mobile = burns most oil
amsoil = burns a little less
castrol edge = burns zero.
1. Succinct, w/o being pithy, nice!
Old 11-24-2012, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by xviper
Originally Posted by accord31' timestamp='1352822478' post='22147872
There is really no reason to use ultra expensive synthetic oil in any engine unless you want to extend the oil change interval to 10,000 miles or over. Most if not all oils on the market are made to far exceed manufacturer's requirements. Good quality inexpensive paraffinic based oils would be my choice. Examples Quaker State, Pennzoil, Kendall. As long as they use Pennsylvania Grade oil stock they won't break down at high revs. Stop wasting your money with synthetics. Take it from a lubrication engineer. We had 12,000 HP centrifugal compressors running 24 hours a day for two years straight at 10,000 RPM with gears reducers running on 30 weight straight grade paraffinic base nineral oil without any problems.
Please don't cloud this thread with facts and truth. It only serves to confuse and aggravate. />
1. You are so funny! Is it just me, or are you a riot?
2. I guess I just love sarcasm and humor all bundled up in truth, ha!
Old 11-24-2012, 07:31 PM

1. Oh, I just realized I hadn't added my 2 cents.
2. Used Mobil 1 from 9k miles to 40k miles, w/o any oil consumption, and just switched to Amsoil, which I have been running in the tranny and diff. as well.
3. Why? Because when I was a teenager back in the late 60s, it was supposed to be the hottest fluid around, and I have waited for a car worthy enough, and my income solid enough, to fulfill yet another lifelong goal.
4. Yes, the S in the top of my car goal list!
Old 11-24-2012, 09:47 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

mobile = burns most oil
although i didnt try mobil 1 i try amsoil, eneos, and castrol edge

out of all them the castrol burn the least amount of oil plus much lighter on the wallet
Old 11-24-2012, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by S2KiChad
Originally Posted by kerm1t' timestamp='1352269172' post='22134712
mobile = burns most oil

out of all them the castrol burn the least amount of oil plus much lighter on the wallet

yea i was skeptic to try castrol, but thats the only thing i use now. i think the price is the same as mobile 1
Old 11-25-2012, 01:03 AM

300V 5W30
Old 11-25-2012, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by S2KiChad' timestamp='1353826024' post='22169856
[quote name='kerm1t' timestamp='1352269172' post='22134712']
mobile = burns most oil
yea i was skeptic to try castrol, but thats the only thing i use now. i think the price is the same as mobile 1
[/quote]

1. I pay $6.50 for Mobil, and $8 for Amsoil, and since I will only change oil 1x/yr since it is 25k oil, and I only put on 12k in a year. I use the Amsoil filter since I figure it should be built for the higher mileage.
Old 11-25-2012, 10:49 AM

1. Question: If I am going to change Amsoil once per yr. would you advise doing it before or after winter for the 1x?
2. I presently am on schedule to do it now (Thanksgiving) every year, but I could change that to the spring or in the summer is it makes a difference in anyone's mind, ha!

Quick Reply: Best oil to Run?