S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Best oil to Run?

Old 11-05-2012, 04:32 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by InTheZone
pennzoil ultra 10w-30(if this is what's in ferrari's and viper's then it has to be at least decent, right?)
amsoil mtf
amsoil diff fluid
trust me thats not what they put in ferrari's...
Old 11-06-2012, 04:34 PM

Received 1,420 Likes on 1,062 Posts

I always get a chuckle out of oil posts where people say 'I use X and haven't had any problems'. What sort of problems do you think you'd have? The S2000 is probably harder on oil than most any other car around, and even if you use the worst oil you can find (of the correct grade), its not like your engine is going to blow up. You'll just get less life out of it than you could have with better oil. So you wouldn't know if you had any problems until you've got the kind of miles where an S2K motor would be used up, and if your motor died near that many miles, how would you know if your choice of oil shortened its life? Its not like you know exactly how many miles you should have gotten.

Now if someone posted their oil analysis results to show how their oil choice was doing, that would be worth hearing about.
Old 11-06-2012, 05:39 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
I always get a chuckle out of oil posts where people say 'I use X and haven't had any problems'. What sort of problems do you think you'd have? The S2000 is probably harder on oil than most any other car around, and even if you use the worst oil you can find (of the correct grade), its not like your engine is going to blow up. You'll just get less life out of it than you could have with better oil. So you wouldn't know if you had any problems until you've got the kind of miles where an S2K motor would be used up, and if your motor died near that many miles, how would you know if your choice of oil shortened its life? Its not like you know exactly how many miles you should have gotten.

Now if someone posted their oil analysis results to show how their oil choice was doing, that would be worth hearing about.
This is the best response yet. Unfortunately, anybody who feels the need to go to an internet car forum and post up "What is the best oil?", will gravitate to such answers because they know nothing about cars or oils, are gullible, will believe any answer they hear, are willing to spend top dollar because they think that's what's "best". Unknowledgeable people can be very gullible people. Such people demand validation for their choices in life and this validation comes from other gullible people accepting their choices.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:38 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

with some oils you can see problems - increased oil consumption, more noises from the engine, etc.

to know if the specific oil is good for your specific conditions requires to do UOA and monitor oil pressure under various conditions - since 99% of users don't do this the only indication they can provide is about obvious problems.
maybe it's worthless but this is we got....
Old 11-06-2012, 09:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mobile = burns most oil
amsoil = burns a little less
castrol edge = burns zero.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:58 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've used it all.. Mobil 1, Royal Purple, Castrol, Valvoline etc. I've come to the conclusion that my ap1 will burn oil in vtec regardless of what I use.

Therfore I decided to just get Kendalls GT1 fully synthetic liquid titanium.. Can't beat a case of 12 for $80 compared to the $140 amsoil wants. I cannot justify the cost difference if I'll burn it off anyways but that's just from my experience. Best place to cop oil for cheap is ebay though imo.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Thateguhate
I've used it all.. Mobil 1, Royal Purple, Castrol, Valvoline etc. I've come to the conclusion that my ap1 will burn oil in vtec regardless of what I use.

Therfore I decided to just get Kendalls GT1 fully synthetic liquid titanium.. Can't beat a case of 12 for $80 compared to the $140 amsoil wants. I cannot justify the cost difference if I'll burn it off anyways but that's just from my experience. Best place to cop oil for cheap is ebay though imo. />/>/>/>/>

There is really no reason to use ultra expensive synthetic oil in any engine unless you want to extend the oil change interval to 10,000 miles or over. Most if not all oils on the market are made to far exceed manufacturer's requirements. Good quality inexpensive paraffinic based oils would be my choice. Examples Quaker State, Pennzoil, Kendall. As long as they use Pennsylvania Grade oil stock they won't break down at high revs. Stop wasting your money with synthetics. Take it from a lubrication engineer. We had 12,000 HP centrifugal compressors running 24 hours a day for two years straight at 10,000 RPM with gears reducers running on 30 weight straight grade paraffinic base nineral oil without any problems.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:14 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by accord31
There is really no reason to use ultra expensive synthetic oil in any engine unless you want to extend the oil change interval to 10,000 miles or over. Most if not all oils on the market are made to far exceed manufacturer's requirements. Good quality inexpensive paraffinic based oils would be my choice. Examples Quaker State, Pennzoil, Kendall. As long as they use Pennsylvania Grade oil stock they won't break down at high revs. Stop wasting your money with synthetics. Take it from a lubrication engineer. We had 12,000 HP centrifugal compressors running 24 hours a day for two years straight at 10,000 RPM with gears reducers running on 30 weight straight grade paraffinic base nineral oil without any problems.
Please don't cloud this thread with facts and truth. It only serves to confuse and aggravate.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think your comparrison is very valid for high rpm load and longevity. However, a typical engine does not spend hardly any time at all at those loads. Aside from a dedicated race car that is.

We need an oil that protects at startup/cold/stop and go and all the other daily situations.

Do those cheaper paraffinic oils offer all those things too?
Old 11-13-2012, 10:23 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I used Mbile 1 full synthetic the first couple of oil changes but due to high burn off I switched to Castrol GTX, still use a little but not near as much as I was with the Mobile 1. Trans I use Amsoil Syncromesh as well as Amsoil Severe Gear in the diff.

Quick Reply: Best oil to Run?