S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Best Oil From Amsoil That Wont Burn?

Old 06-11-2011, 10:58 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JFUSION
Originally Posted by s2cho' timestamp='1307846144' post='20673442
[quote name='JFUSION' timestamp='1307840909' post='20673261']
[quote name='s2cho' timestamp='1307839660' post='20673219']
[quote name='ViperASR' timestamp='1307838717' post='20673191']
Why are you changing your oil every 1,000 miles?

I'm running ATM in my 06 and like it. I'm typically doing 6,000 mile oil changes or based off the oil life %, whichever comes first. And I autocross the car pretty much every weekend.
I have been burning a LOT of oil. Like 2 quarts every 1300 miles. Btw im useing castrol edge 10w-30. I used to use mobile one and i burned 3 quarts around 1500 miles. So Castrol did help but not by much. Oh and im a ap1 2002 69k miles almost 70k!!!
I don't mean to talk you out of it, I'm the biggest Amsoil fan around but there isn't any oil that is going to cure your oil consumption issue. You have a definite mechanical problem with that engine and changing oil brands won't cure it. You might see some improvement but that engine is in need of a re-build, it's broke.

ATM 10w30 has the lowest volatility burn-off which is amazing, but your consumption issues aren't related to volatility issues. If you aren't going to re-build the engine then try running a thicker viscosity, such as their 5w40 or 10w40 weight as you have oil making it by the rings and a thicker viscosity oil might work better. Maybe consider a high-mileage oil in a thicker viscosity if you aren't going to repair the engine, but I can't see your consumption getting down to normal levels just by changing oils. 1 quart every 1000 miles is the limit of poor oil consumption and the point which engines get condemned by most manufacturers.

Have you had a compression test done on that engine ?. My 02 ap1 doesn't burn any excessive oil at 60k miles.
[/quote]

dang i get what your saying... isnt the oil consumption directly related to the pcv valve? or am i wrong?

ps how would i fix this? and ill try and get a compression test done soon. maybe sometime next week
[/quote]

If your engine was consuming oil near the 1 qt per 1000 mile level I'd say try some cleaning additives to help with siezed piston rings, I'd suggest changing the pcv valve if it is more than 2 years old, and running a different oil brand and possibly different viscosity. But the oil your engine is consuming isn't related to the pcv system alone.

oh my mistake, I would actually suggest a leakdown test as opposed to a compression test, the leakdown test may show the area of the engine that could be causing the issues. You could do a compression test as well but the leakdown test may be more beneficial with your issues. With that much oil going through the system I'd have a look at the sparkplugs, chances are you'll see wet oil on one or more of the plus and it may lead you to the bad cylinders as a first sign.
[/quote]

Dang this is some sad sad news.... On monday ill go to my shop and get a leak down and see whats the best cleaning additives and get some new plugs with some oil. I need to replace the driver side motor mount and put my springs in too. But for now what Amsoil oil do you recommend me getting?
Old 06-12-2011, 05:38 AM

Received 3,799 Likes on 2,677 Posts

Originally Posted by s2cho
Originally Posted by JFUSION' timestamp='1307850660' post='20673562
[quote name='s2cho' timestamp='1307846144' post='20673442']

I'm running ATM in my 06 and like it. I'm typically doing 6,000 mile oil changes or based off the oil life %, whichever comes first. And I autocross the car pretty much every weekend.
I have been burning a LOT of oil. Like 2 quarts every 1300 miles. Btw im useing castrol edge 10w-30. I used to use mobile one and i burned 3 quarts around 1500 miles. So Castrol did help but not by much. Oh and im a ap1 2002 69k miles almost 70k!!!
I don't mean to talk you out of it, I'm the biggest Amsoil fan around but there isn't any oil that is going to cure your oil consumption issue. You have a definite mechanical problem with that engine and changing oil brands won't cure it. You might see some improvement but that engine is in need of a re-build, it's broke.

ATM 10w30 has the lowest volatility burn-off which is amazing, but your consumption issues aren't related to volatility issues. If you aren't going to re-build the engine then try running a thicker viscosity, such as their 5w40 or 10w40 weight as you have oil making it by the rings and a thicker viscosity oil might work better. Maybe consider a high-mileage oil in a thicker viscosity if you aren't going to repair the engine, but I can't see your consumption getting down to normal levels just by changing oils. 1 quart every 1000 miles is the limit of poor oil consumption and the point which engines get condemned by most manufacturers.

Have you had a compression test done on that engine ?. My 02 ap1 doesn't burn any excessive oil at 60k miles.
[/quote]

dang i get what your saying... isnt the oil consumption directly related to the pcv valve? or am i wrong?

ps how would i fix this? and ill try and get a compression test done soon. maybe sometime next week
[/quote]

If your engine was consuming oil near the 1 qt per 1000 mile level I'd say try some cleaning additives to help with siezed piston rings, I'd suggest changing the pcv valve if it is more than 2 years old, and running a different oil brand and possibly different viscosity. But the oil your engine is consuming isn't related to the pcv system alone.

oh my mistake, I would actually suggest a leakdown test as opposed to a compression test, the leakdown test may show the area of the engine that could be causing the issues. You could do a compression test as well but the leakdown test may be more beneficial with your issues. With that much oil going through the system I'd have a look at the sparkplugs, chances are you'll see wet oil on one or more of the plus and it may lead you to the bad cylinders as a first sign.
[/quote]

Dang this is some sad sad news.... On monday ill go to my shop and get a leak down and see whats the best cleaning additives and get some new plugs with some oil. I need to replace the driver side motor mount and put my springs in too. But for now what Amsoil oil do you recommend me getting?
[/quote]

That is a good idea.

When I mentioned engine cleaning products, this is the one that I would use with a proven record of tackling piston ring issues http://auto-rx.com/

If you get a leakdown test done soon they will pull the plugs and they will be able to see if the plugs are wet with oil and possibly lead them to the bad cylinder(s). Maybe wait on changing the plugs until they have a look at the ones in the engine first.

If you want to stick with Amsoil maybe consider their European 5w40 and try to get a bit more viscosity to help reduce oil seepage as those oils are a bit thicker.

Using Amsoil at the rate of consumption you have is going to get pretty expensive, you might want to consider a non-synthetic oil in the high-mileage category, high-mileage oils have good cleaning properties and extra seal conditioning properties, might be worth trying for a couple oil changes.

Check or replace your pcv valve , if it's more than a couple years old replace it. You can check it by pulling it out and seeing if the internal parts move freely when you shake it, or squeeze the vacuum line with a pair of pliers while the car is running and see if you can hear the pcv valve click shut. I changed to a 04-05 valvecover so I can use the improved pcv valve system that those engines had , which is better than the ap1 pcv system.
Old 06-12-2011, 06:48 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

if you are burning that much you have more problems than the oil you are using.. if you want a good oil thats cheap so you dont go broke burning it run the OE amsoil stuff
Old 06-12-2011, 07:23 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

[/quote]Dang this is some sad sad news.... On monday ill go to my shop and get a leak down and see whats the best cleaning additives and get some new plugs with some oil. I need to replace the driver side motor mount and put my springs in too. But for now what Amsoil oil do you recommend me getting?
[/quote]

ATM 10/30 is recommended by this long time user.

I'm going to order some tomorrow to avoid the July price increase.
Old 06-12-2011, 08:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't claim to be an expert,but burning oil is usually a sign of a mechanical problem.My 03S has 78k miles and I never add oil between changes.No oil can fix an engine problem.

FWIW,I run the Amsoil AZO 0W-30 oil in all my cars listed below.03S has 78k miles,02Z06 has 64k miles and 96 GST has 143k miles.All were bought new( except Z06,2nd owner) and have been cared for with the finest lubricants available.

As always,IMO.Results & Opinions vary.

\rlr
carolina
Old 06-12-2011, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by JFUSION
Originally Posted by s2cho' timestamp='1307861933' post='20673780
[quote name='JFUSION' timestamp='1307850660' post='20673562']
[quote name='s2cho' timestamp='1307846144' post='20673442']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

That is a good idea.

When I mentioned engine cleaning products, this is the one that I would use with a proven record of tackling piston ring issues http://auto-rx.com/

If you get a leakdown test done soon they will pull the plugs and they will be able to see if the plugs are wet with oil and possibly lead them to the bad cylinder(s). Maybe wait on changing the plugs until they have a look at the ones in the engine first.

If you want to stick with Amsoil maybe consider their European 5w40 and try to get a bit more viscosity to help reduce oil seepage as those oils are a bit thicker.

Using Amsoil at the rate of consumption you have is going to get pretty expensive, you might want to consider a non-synthetic oil in the high-mileage category, high-mileage oils have good cleaning properties and extra seal conditioning properties, might be worth trying for a couple oil changes.

Check or replace your pcv valve , if it's more than a couple years old replace it. You can check it by pulling it out and seeing if the internal parts move freely when you shake it, or squeeze the vacuum line with a pair of pliers while the car is running and see if you can hear the pcv valve click shut. I changed to a 04-05 valvecover so I can use the improved pcv valve system that those engines had , which is better than the ap1 pcv system.
[/quote]

Haha thanks for so much help! I kinda feel better now that i know why my engine is burning so much oil. And i just hope i dont have to get a new one right now ):

ps what do you think of seafoam? will that work?
i dont think i can last 3k. when it says add then drive 3k and at half way point change filter.
Old 06-12-2011, 02:10 PM

[/quote]

ATM 10/30 is recommended by this long time user.

I'm going to order some tomorrow to avoid the July price increase.
[/quote]

i think ima order the ATM too haha. i will be happy changing it out every 3k miles. A oil change every 1k is too expencive.
Old 06-13-2011, 05:36 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Are you aware that you can ADD OIL to the engine if you are low? You don't have to remove all your oil and fill an empty engine.
Old 06-13-2011, 07:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by daktruckie99
Are you aware that you can ADD OIL to the engine if you are low? You don't have to remove all your oil and fill an empty engine.
REALLY???!!!!! I'm like the OP. I consider myself very savvy about cars and engines and all things mechanical. I advise other car owners all the time and I pride myself in knowing what I'm talking about. I've always considered that even if the dipstick shows a 1/2 qt. down, I do a complete oil change to bring it back up. It's common knowledge that old oil molecules cannot touch new oil molecules.
Old 06-13-2011, 10:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wisdom
I agree with JFUSION, if you're burning that much oil, the oil is not the problem. What are the causes of excessive oil burning?

For those of you that run Amsoil and have 5k+ mile OCI, do you replace the oil filter and top off?
Mine doesn't burn any oil, so topping off isn't an issue.
Because I don't go any further than the maintenance minder on the dash, I don't worry about changing the filter.

Quick Reply: Best Oil From Amsoil That Wont Burn?