S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Best Intake Tubing Size?

Old 01-22-2006, 12:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Best Intake Tubing Size?

I've been looking into an intake for my s2k, and I'm not really impressed with the intakes out there based on their price. I was thinking PRM or Comptech, but they are really so simple I could just build my own.

I'm not new to fabricating things...so that won't be a problem. I'm thinking of using 2.5" 6061 alunimum piping from www.burnstainless.com. I've used this piping for part of the charge piping on a turbo civic I had before. It is VERY light weight, and sheds heat very quickly, which would be good.

I am thinking a pipe size close to the size of the stock TB should be fine, but I would like to know if anyone has any actual knowledge as to what would be the best size for making the best power, with the best powerband.
Old 01-22-2006, 04:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A material that does not transfer heat as quickly as aluminum would be ideal. Stainless steel would work, but it would be heavier. This is why K&N uses a plastic composite on their FIPK kits; they can shape it exactly how they want it and it keeps the engine bay heat away from the intake air. Unless you put a lot of R&D into your product, you'll probably end up losing power similar to the eBay intakes. AEM, Comptech, and K&N all did their research and dyno-testing to create gains.
Old 01-22-2006, 07:15 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I disagree with the above post...I'm sure that you can gain power doing it on your own. And, the AEM V1 is 3" tubing for your info...I'm almost positive it is painted or powdercoated aluminum. Your best bet for making power is to make it as short as possible getting the coldest air possible...and also a free flowing filter

Good luck...

Eric
Old 01-22-2006, 08:31 PM

im sure that you could go with 3.5 inch piping but you would have to configure something with couplers to make it narrow out to where it meets up to the throttle body...i did it in one of my old hatches with a hks super mega flow filter and gained 11whp with 3.5 inch piping narrowing to i think 2.75 to the t/b...definitaly worth it and it will prob be alot cheaper that an aem v2
Old 01-23-2006, 05:02 AM

Yea, I figure I could get either a reducer coupling, or weld on an aluminum or stainless reducer.

I figured aluminum would be good because it cools quickly...but it could be bad at the same time because it would also head soak quickly.

I think I may go 3", but piping prices go up alot for stainless and AL at that size, not that I really care, I just want what works best.
Old 01-23-2006, 05:58 AM

AEM V2 goes from 4 to 3 inch tubing and is coated (powdercoated, I believe) I would look at one of those and then go from there or study the J's intake or other high end intake and see what they are doing.
Old 01-23-2006, 06:03 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What do yout think of what I did, I purchased an intake from ebay but used a 9" k&n filter instead. Also, I covered the intake piping with a heat shield material. I also opened the filter side of the pipe to 3.75 inches at a muffler shop. Finally, I painted a plastic plant pot which is circular black and covered the intake with it. I also opened the right side of the bumper (the fake vent) to get more air inside where the filter is. Does this setup sound good. By the way, the setup cost under 100 dollars.
Old 01-23-2006, 07:31 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=S2kracka,Jan 22 2006, 07:49 PM] A material that does not transfer heat as quickly as aluminum would be ideal.
Old 01-23-2006, 12:12 PM

In other words, this is very much a case of "you get what you pay for".
This is very true.

The thing is people are paying $300 plus for the AEM, or PRM, or Comptech with little to no gains....

Then if you want to step up you are looking at $1000+ for Something like the J's racing intake, or Mugen, $2000 for the Gruppe M. And IMO no intake is worth that kind of money.
Old 01-23-2006, 12:19 PM

People have been getting great results with the K&N FIPK2

Quick Reply: Best Intake Tubing Size?