S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Best aligment Specs for AP2s?

Old 10-17-2006, 03:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Factory camber for AP1 is -.5 degress front and -1.5 degrees rear. Is going to -1F and -2 Rear going to increase wear that much?

OttoKrat, are you reducing rear camber when you say you use -.9 degrees?

Can someone post the specs in the '06 manual? I don't believe my '04 has alignment specs in the manual.
Old 10-17-2006, 08:36 PM

So far, I'm finding front tire life to be fine with stock settings. I also don't have enough experimental experience with front camber on S2000 to recommend anything different.

As far as the rears goes, AP2 spec is a range: -1.0 to -2.0 (US Service Limits at inspection).
(My bad, I had previously said the range was -1.0 to -1.5.)

Yes, -0.9 is considered "less" camber than -1.0 (or -1.5), in the sense of less tilting of the tire. (-0.9 is less tilted, though technically is numerically higher, only in absolute value is numerically lower; 0.0 means straight up & down, pos or neg means tilted, just which direction.)

FYI, here's the specs from the '06 shop manual - actually the 2000-2006 manual, so it includes all prior years. Note: there are "Standards and Service Limits" and "Design Specifications". I'll post both: (NOTE: 30' = 0.5*) (* is my degree symbol)

[CODE]Standards and Service Limits:
Camber
Old 10-17-2006, 08:42 PM

how much extra fender clearance can i expect from a uk alignment in the rear versus stock ap2 us spec alignment?
Old 10-18-2006, 09:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Increasing your rear camber by -.5 degrees will give you .01" of additional fender clearance for every inch of distance from the center of your tire/wheel assembly to the edge of your fender.

So, measure from the center of your wheel, to the edge of your fender. Multiply this # by .o1. That's your answer. Works for metric or english units..
Old 10-18-2006, 10:42 AM

I had the UK Alignment specs done on my AP2, except I used the factory rear toe settings. My alignment wasn't that good to start with as I bought the car used. Either way, I'm very happy with the car now as it is very neutral and feels very planted.
Old 10-18-2006, 11:54 AM

I used the UK settings on my 06 and have been happy so far. The thing I like the best is the steering feels more weighted making it easier to be smooth through the turns. I do not notice any twitchy feeling at all for a street driven car with these settings.

Swiftoy
Old 10-18-2006, 02:48 PM

There should also be some discussion about tire pressure used with the various alignment settings.

I find that with my alignment settings (-0.9 rear) I can use a slightly high tire pressure of 34 lbs. This gives the sidewalls pretty good stiffness, which is good for cornering and for gas milage and for braking. The good handling I perceive seems to come from getting the outside edge of the of the tire & the sidewall engaged as quickly as possible, which happens because the outer tire edge is already touching the ground by using less camber and the sidewall is stiffer from air pressure.

Before my custom alignment I had -1.5 rear camber (from the factory), and you could put a piece of paper under the outside of the tire to several inches - the outer edge of the tire simply isn't even contacting the road going straight. I think you could lower your tire pressure to compensate, but it also makes the sidewall less stiff at the same time. If you're finding that the handling is best for you around 28 or less lbs of air (measured cold of course), then I suspect that you would be better off instead with less camber and more air pressure.

I'd be interested to know how others find air pressure adjustments as to the affect on their favorite alignment specs. My specs seem to favor somewhat higher pressure.
Old 10-18-2006, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by sund,Oct 18 2006, 10:42 AM
I had the UK Alignment specs done on my AP2, except I used the factory rear toe settings. My alignment wasn't that good to start with as I bought the car used. Either way, I'm very happy with the car now as it is very neutral and feels very planted.
This is exactly what I plan to do on my next alignment. Glad to hear that you like it.
I've found that there is very little talk of custom streetable alignments on the board for AP2s. I have an '04 as well and am looking to make it more neutral in handling like my '02 was.

Andy
Old 10-19-2006, 04:48 AM

I just got my car aligned yesterday for the first time 18k miles with oem specs with -0.9 rear camber and WOW my car handles like a whole different car!! amazing i can't belive how off it was before
Old 10-19-2006, 05:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How about if you use 255/45 in the rear instead of stock 245/45?

Quick Reply: Best aligment Specs for AP2s?