S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

berk test pipe?

Old 04-18-2008, 07:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think i got the concept on the test pipe lol. thanks guys. i was wondering with simple bolt ons like intake, exhaust, test pipe would i need a tune? is it safe driving like this? how would the gains be with no tune?
Old 04-19-2008, 10:33 AM

i gained 17 whp on a dyno with a berk full exhaust system (header, test pipe, and soon to be released dual exhaust) that is with no tune. the 17 whp was actually gained with only the header/exhaust as i already had the test pipe for the baseline run. tuning will only gain you more hp.
Old 04-19-2008, 11:40 PM

ohh sweet.. did you have any troubles with the cel? of running lean or something??
Old 04-20-2008, 11:52 AM

i dont have a gauge to measure my a/f ratio, but i dont think its running lean.. a bunch of people run test pipes. i dont have any cel problems, but i also have an 05. there is a higher chance with your year, but pretty much its just a chance. just go for it, its 100 bucks or so, and will add a little growl to your exhaust and some power. if you get the cel then just use an anti fouler and extend it more.
Old 04-20-2008, 10:10 PM

PM Sent. I actually have a used one for sale that I bought new from the Group Buy on here years ago. It was on my 02 for about 5,000 miles and was perfect (perfect condition) and I took it off when I sold the car, but completely forgot about actually selling it.
Old 04-20-2008, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by neveronlines2k,Apr 18 2008, 06:26 PM
I would only run one if you plan on some type of tuning though, over time your ecu can make a test pipe actually decrease HP and rob you opf TQ in the midrange. If you tune the car for running the test pipe than disregard my last statement.
Um what....? If anything your car will run better over time as with any exhaust modification as the ecu re-learns everything adjusts to better suit the modifications has been done. Alot of manufacturers say that you have to go through a few days of running a certain modification until the ecu can read the modification and re-learn all the settins. Our ecu's are different than most as with most you sometimes have to reset the ECU when you change something.
Old 04-21-2008, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by qbmurderer13,Apr 20 2008, 10:25 PM
Um what....? If anything your car will run better over time as with any exhaust modification as the ecu re-learns everything adjusts to better suit the modifications has been done. Alot of manufacturers say that you have to go through a few days of running a certain modification until the ecu can read the modification and re-learn all the settins. Our ecu's are different than most as with most you sometimes have to reset the ECU when you change something.
Thats not true . The car doesn't continually tune its self to run better? I have Dynos to prove that with a test pipe I lost almost 12lb ft of TQ right before VTEC and 2hp at the top end (if I had a scanner at work I would post them). I did not just install the TP and do a pass and take it off.

I bought the test pipe did a base line and made about 5hp after a dyno pass with TP installed ran it for about 6months then decided on selling the TP (because my girl got sick of the smell, didn't really bother me though). Before I sold it I went back to my freinds shop dyno'd the car and then removed the TP and dyno'd the car again and to everyone's surprise I made more hp with the cat installed then when I was running the TP (the opposite results as my previous dyno). I would have bet money that my car would have made more hp with it installed, but dyno's dont lie.

I know its not what anyone here wants to believe, but it happened to me. Take it for what its worth, but to me I would hate to think that I was risking severe penalties from law enforcement for running a TP just to make my car slower .

Just for the record my car is an 2004 maybe if it was an AP1 with a little bit older ecu the results would have been different, I dont know. Most people dyno the car right after buying mods and the ecu has not had a chance to adjust while its still learning, but after 1000's of miles my results changed.
Old 04-21-2008, 06:56 PM

wow hearing stories like that make me not want one.. this sucks. idk what to do..
Old 04-21-2008, 07:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Berk High flow Cat FTW
Old 04-21-2008, 07:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's a cheap part: worst case scenario, you extend it out like ian said or not, and throw the cel, sell it, or else keep it.

I have it on mine: but I run EMS, and I can check my vitals via laptop. Not one problem before or after EMS. Good luck.

BTW..excoupe...nice car!

Quick Reply: berk test pipe?