S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Bent valves, need new crankcase (?), etc

Old 04-08-2007, 03:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jyeung528,Apr 8 2007, 03:08 PM
no one said take it to another dealer.

take it to an independent mechanic with a good reputation and have the head removed and sent to a reputable head shop.

even after being charged for the teardown, you will still save money by taking your car out of the dealership.

its your car and your money.
Sounds good then, i'll take my car back and pay for the tear down that the Honda dealership did. I assume i will have to pay again for another tear down from an independent shop? Then ask around on the bay area forums for an independent shop to check out. Thanks for the responses. Also at this point is it safe to drive my car back or should i have it towned in case i might do damage to the block
Old 04-08-2007, 04:02 PM

That quote is ridiculous. As has been mentioned, you should take the whole car to an independent mechanic (who typically outsource to machine shops for head work)... If all that's messed up is valves (and it still runs so it can't be devastating) than all that you should be paying for is the new valves/repair of bent valves, a bit of labor, and then the reinstall of the head.

I bent all 16 valves on my h22 in my prelude, and to have the head pulled and the valves repaired through a machine shop that my mechanic outsourced to, I payed a total of $1,700 or so, including labor, parts, fluid flushes, and a new timing belt.

Ultimately, bent valves are bent valves. Just because it's an expensive, new engine, doesn't mean that the problem should be more costly to fix.
Old 04-08-2007, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by Green Tea,Apr 8 2007, 03:26 PM
Sounds good then, i'll take my car back and pay for the tear down that the Honda dealership did. I assume i will have to pay again for another tear down from an independent shop? Then ask around on the bay area forums for an independent shop to check out. Thanks for the responses. Also at this point is it safe to drive my car back or should i have it towned in case i might do damage to the block
Get it out of the dealer ASAP. You could also see if there is anyone local that would be willing to help. I can tell you that I would be more than willing to install a whole new engine for a hell of a lot less than their prices. 1300 for dis-assembly... ouch.

But just ask people you know or people on the forum for good shops that they have actually taken their cars to.
Old 04-08-2007, 06:00 PM

I had a accident a while back (and engine free-revved really bad!)which eventually ended up in all four valves on cylinder 4 being bent and two on cylinder one. Instead of putting the OEM stuff back in....I upgraded to Ferrea valves, dual springs, titanium keepers, locks...etc and it cost me around $2200. Take your car to a shop that knows what they are doing and save yourself the rape job the dealer will give you. Good luck!
Old 04-08-2007, 06:18 PM

Thanks, that i will certainly do. Just need to find a good shop in the bay area to bring my car to. I was told cylinder #1 is damaged, bent valves, an oil leak, etc. Still need to get more details and get my car back this week.
Old 04-08-2007, 06:20 PM

AP2 with a dropped valve? is this the first?
Old 04-08-2007, 06:52 PM

i hear thet the guys that are doing those 2jz swaps into the S have a few engines laying around their shop that they are letting to for a really good price. complete engine and tranny plus all the stuff that they dont need for a 2jz swap. i think like 2-3k for everything
Old 04-08-2007, 10:12 PM

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by jeggy,Apr 8 2007, 06:52 PM
i hear thet the guys that are doing those 2jz swaps into the S have a few engines laying around their shop that they are letting to for a really good price. complete engine and tranny plus all the stuff that they dont need for a 2jz swap. i think like 2-3k for everything
what guys and where?
Old 04-08-2007, 10:15 PM

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Green Tea,Apr 8 2007, 03:26 PM
No, the independent mechanic will not charge for a tear-down because you know what you will be paying for. a head removal and installation. a good deal would be $600.

Then, they will take the head to another independent head shop, and the head shop will fix what you need...valves, re-seat, re-lap, etc...parts + labor for the head shop will be around $1K, depending on the parts. You should be able to re-use your head, just change internal parts.

you cannot drive your car...tow it. and try not the give the dealer any more money, and try to take back as much as you can.

the tear-down should not cost $1,300...ask for some of it back...because I presume they were going to use some of it to go into the actual repair work.

jeez...$1,300 for a tear down. a removal and installation costs $600.

good luck.
Old 04-08-2007, 10:33 PM

Ha, the only reason you should ever go to the dealer if you need to is the buy the car, after that. Never go back. 11k is ridiculous. I'd tell that dealer to shove it and walk. You should have never had them do the tear down in the first place IMO.

Quick Reply: Bent valves, need new crankcase (?), etc