S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Bent valves, need new crankcase (?), etc

Old 04-08-2007, 11:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bent valves, need new crankcase (?), etc

Long story short, I brought my car to the dealership for a CEL and after some few checks they said i may have bent my valves, after their inspection. I then gave them the go ahead to do a teardown inspection to see whether its driver fault or a mechnical defect and severity of the damage (in the end they said I was at fault and it won't be covered under warranty). The damages are bent valves, there was an oil leak inside, and i will need a new top part of the engine (crankcase I think thats what it is called)? This is off the top of my head, i'll have to call back Monday to get more details. The cause of the damage they said was probalby a mechnical mis-shift (i assume shifting down from 5th into 2nd on accident, etc).

I was told the bottom half of the engine is fine and won't need any repairs done. They gave me an estimate of around $8-9k. At that point i was thinking wouldn't it be better to replace the entire engine just in case the bottom part of the engine might be damaged slightly and they didn't catch it? I was told a new engine would cost around $11k after installation. What are my options? Should i opt to repair this and am I getting ripped off in their pricing? At this point i'm kind of hesitant to pay for the repair because of fear that after they repair it, there might still be some damage left that will rear its ugly head later on and i'll be blamed for it. I'll then be back at one again having to repair the damages all over again. Or I could just not fix the car and be left with an expensive car that doesn't drive. This however will make it very hard to sell when i finishing paying it off. I'm also hesitant becuase i was looking to sell my car in a year or so for something else. It just seems like a waste to pour more money into a car i plan to sell soon and had wanted to sell long before the damages happened to my car. This is for an 05 s2k.

Just wanted to get some feedback on what I should do or whats my best course of action? Anyone have any experience with this exact same situation like me that can give some advice or expereince with engine damage that is like mine? Bare in mind I plan on quitting my programming job in the summer and money might become tight once that happens and I commit fully to my post-baccalaureate degree.
Old 04-08-2007, 11:59 AM

11k? wow you can but like 3 new motors at that price. My suggestion would be to get a low milage used engine (shortblock) and find a shop that can install it for you. Dealers are notorious for being very expensive.
Old 04-08-2007, 12:46 PM

Received 1,338 Likes on 810 Posts

They are likely quoting you for a complete new head (head, valves, springs, cams, vtec rocker assys, cam lower and upper caps) Still sound steep.

The head is also sold in a different form: head, valves, springs, retainers. this is all you will likely need. List price is like 1400, as opposed to 3300 for the complete head.

They are killing you on labor. If you were here you'd be down the road for under 3000 bucks for all.

Make sure you get all the old parts. Make sure you get the part number of the head they are sellling you, so you can see if it is the short head or fully loaded head.
Old 04-08-2007, 12:52 PM

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

if they say your block is fine, then most likely it is.

what you should do is take your car away from the dealer...they sound shady anyway for quoting 8-9K.

have you cylinder head removed and take it to a reputable head shop for inspection of all damage to the head.

if you can reuse your head, you will just have to replace the internal parts, valves, guides, re-seat, etc.

then reinstall the repaird head...this will cost you about $2K.

but first things first, I would take the car away from the dealer as soon as possible.
Old 04-08-2007, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by Billman250,Apr 8 2007, 12:46 PM
They are likely quoting you for a complete new head (head, valves, springs, cams, vtec rocker assys, cam lower and upper caps) Still sound steep.

The head is also sold in a different form: head, valves, springs, retainers. this is all you will likely need. List price is like 1400, as opposed to 3300 for the complete head.

They are killing you on labor. If you were here you'd be down the road for under 3000 bucks for all.

Make sure you get all the old parts. Make sure you get the part number of the head they are sellling you, so you can see if it is the short head or fully loaded head.
Yeah, they said it was for a new top case (head i assume you're talking about) which is around $3300 and some other part that was around $300 or $500. They also mentioned i can opt to pay to get it checked if its okay to be used and how damaged it is, but chances are in most cases it wouldn't be repairable (thats what htey told me, ). Then they mentioned labor, etc, which results in around $8-9k total . I figure i'm arleady in for $1300 for the tear down. So if i factor the tear down and the new head/top part which is quoted to me for $3300, is that about right for what they are charging me?
Old 04-08-2007, 02:22 PM
Banned

They are going to charge you for the teardown reguardless
Old 04-08-2007, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by onfire01,Apr 8 2007, 02:22 PM
They are going to charge you for the teardown reguardless
yeah, i already gave them the go ahead since i had to know the severity of the damage

If i were to take it to another dealership, odds are wouldn't I end up getting charged the same thing (excessive dealership prices for repair/service)
Old 04-08-2007, 02:35 PM

Did you buy the car brand new on used? If its brand new, then your the only one to have driven it - in that case, did you overrev the car or not?
Old 04-08-2007, 02:43 PM

Bought it new back in 05. The mis-shift i was under the impresion i caught it in time, but guess not.
Old 04-08-2007, 03:08 PM

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

no one said take it to another dealer.

take it to an independent mechanic with a good reputation and have the head removed and sent to a reputable head shop.

even after being charged for the teardown, you will still save money by taking your car out of the dealership.

its your car and your money.

Quick Reply: Bent valves, need new crankcase (?), etc