S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Bent Valves?

Old 06-08-2003, 09:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bent Valves?

I took my 00' in for a ''check engine light''.

30,200 miles well maintained. The engine sounds fine, no ticking or odd noises. It runs fine except since Spark Plug TSB it has idled a little rough.

My service rep said it is possibly bent valves due to missed shifts or over revving. they will know for sure when they pull the head.

He said warranty will cover the work.
I'm fortunate to have a great dealership that is 1st rate but, I can't remember a missed downshift.

Are there any questions I should ask to make sure they are on the right track
Old 06-08-2003, 10:02 PM

Originally posted by D Duty
Are there any questions I should ask to make sure they are on the right track
I can't think of any. They are in the driving seat now.

You might be in for a long non ride. I would be VERY surprised if you get it fixed through warranty after rep said it is possibly due to miss shift.
Good luck.
Old 06-09-2003, 03:17 AM

Received 80 Likes on 33 Posts

Are you saying that you took your car into the dealer, and they replaced your spark plugs per the TSB? Is there a chance that the mechanic took it out for a joy ride? That would explain the rough idle and the misshift. And that would also mean that the dealership isn't as great as you first thought.
Old 06-09-2003, 03:43 AM

slalom44,

Very good point.
Me thinks that is why the dealer is willing to cover the damage under warranty. Sad, sad situation.
Old 06-09-2003, 04:18 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

D Duty,
No need to over speculate.......
Anyone, please feel free to correct me.
A bent valve is typically detected by performing a compression test on all four cylinders. ALL four cylinders should have roughly the same compression pressure. A cylinder that has less pressure indicates that it is experiencing some kind of leak. Leaks are usually caused by bent valves, crack in head and so on.....
Beroz
Old 06-09-2003, 05:40 AM

Beroznikmal, you're right, however we don't have enough information to tell what testing the dealer has done thus far to warrant pulling the head off. If he has not yet done a compression test, then it's possible that he's just trying to rack up some warranty hours on Honda's tab. No doubt, if the valves were bent due to a missshift there would be telltale signs, but to replace bent valves under warranty isn't the dealer's call. The mechanic could be setting up D Duty for an expensive repair. Or maybe the mechanic is curious to see what the inside of the engine looks like, and wants to get paid to get a look-see.

If he's talking about taking the heads off, then he's probably getting some sort of misfire code. Hopefully the mechanic has ruled out a bad plug, since this would be the obvious first step.

D Duty: Check to see if he has done a compression test. If not (and since there are no other engine noises), ask what would be accomplished by pulling the head off. Also, find out exactly what code or codes triggered the CEL. If it is a misfire on a particular cylinder and the compression is good, then you're looking at either a bad plug, faulty ignition (coil, etc.), or a clogged injector. Taking the head off will accomplish nothing.
Old 06-09-2003, 08:38 PM

I spoke to my service rep today.

The compression on #3 was low. When they pulled the head an intake valve was bent and valve guide messed up. Everything else was fine including the cylinder walls.

The head will be back from the machine shop by the end of the week but the head gasket set won't be in till next Monday. Should have back by the middle of next week.

The rep repeated today that Honda will waranty the fix.

I have dealt with Honda of Ames for years and have nothing but kudos for them.

In fact when Honda sent the updated service manual for 2003 Jerry gave me the 2000-2002.

It's a growing dealer because of the honest way they do business from sales to parts and service.

I can see by some posts that all dealers are created equal.
Old 06-10-2003, 02:57 AM

D Duty; Thanks for the update. It sounds like you have a real decent dealer.

Did they give you any idea how the valve got bent? I'm just curious.
Old 06-10-2003, 04:57 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by D Duty
[B]I took my 00' in for a ''check engine light''.
Old 06-10-2003, 07:46 PM

Slalom44;
Honda tech line blames it on over revs. The only way to do this is a missed downshift as 5th into 2nd instead of 4th. With the pattern so tight they think that is probable. I don't remember doing that though. The rev limiter should prevent this during acceleration.

I'm happy that it's being covered under warranty. I'm giving the extended plan a lot of thought now.

Quick Reply: Bent Valves?