S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Bent Valve Questions

Old 09-08-2009, 06:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bent Valve Questions

I'm looking for some advice, comments, etc.

My car is currently at Honda having the valves in the head replaced due to a bent valve in cylinder #3. The car is a 2006 with just over 58k miles on it. Per the dealership, the work is NOT covered under the 5 year / 60k power train warranty. When asked why it is not covered (since the engine is part of the power train), they told me that Honda will not cover bent valves because, as they put it, "valves are only bent due to an overrev".

Now I've read enough on these boards and others to know that valves do get bent by overrevs. And I know that 9 times out of 10 (if not more) the owner of the car will say the did not overrev their engine. But, I have NEVER overrev'd my engine - I'll swear on whatever makes you feel comfortable, but I have NEVER overrev'd my engine. And, I do know the difference between a mechanical overrev and hitting the rev limiter.

So, my question is this. Is there a way to bend a valve without overrev'ing the engine? Also, doesn't the computer record when an overrev occurs? Maybe not date/time, but that one occurred (the dealer is telling me it doesn't)? And lastly, if Honda cannot prove that an overrev occurred (other than to say that the only way a valve can be bent is by an overrev), shouldn't the repair work be done under warranty?

I've already sat down with the Service Manager and will be contacting American Honda today about it, but I'm curious what others think.

Charles
Old 09-08-2009, 07:00 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The only other way I know to bend valves without overrevving is well, overrevving. Not from a misshift but from having to high a rev limiter and floating the valves until a piston smacks into them. Probably not the case for you though. Did you buy the car new? Never let anyone else drive it? I can definitely see their hesitation in covering it because it such a isolated cause+effect.

I guess the most you can do is fight the good fight and hope they cave but in this case I really don't see that happening.

I know the RSX ECU reportedly saves freeze data in the event of an overrev, not sure about the S though.
Old 09-08-2009, 07:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Was it an intake valve or an exhaust valve?
There are several other circumstances that can cause a valve to contact the piston.
e.g. sticky valves - due to extensive friction in the guides, broken valve springs, retainers or failed keepers.
It's also possible that the timing was bad because of a bad chain tensioner.

And yes, the highest rev ist stored in the ECU.
Old 09-08-2009, 07:23 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bpaspi,Sep 8 2009, 11:19 AM
But for how long?
Old 09-08-2009, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by CMan,Sep 8 2009, 09:49 AM
And lastly, if Honda cannot prove that an overrev occurred (other than to say that the only way a valve can be bent is by an overrev), shouldn't the repair work be done under warranty?

I've already sat down with the Service Manager and will be contacting American Honda today about it, but I'm curious what others think.

Charles
Honda must prove that you caused the damage if they are going to deny you the warranty claim.

I'd contact a lawyer and get a free consultation. Also read the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act
Old 09-08-2009, 07:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bpaspi,Sep 8 2009, 10:19 AM
Was it an intake valve or an exhaust valve?
There are several other circumstances that can cause a valve to contact the piston.
e.g. sticky valves - due to extensive friction in the guides, broken valve springs, retainers or failed keepers.
It's also possible that the timing was bad because of a bad chain tensioner.

Intake.

I'm being told timing is not off as there was only a compression leak in cylinder 3 and if the timing was off, there would be a leak in another cylinder.
Old 09-08-2009, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by spectacle,Sep 8 2009, 07:23 AM
But for how long?
Don't know. But I guess if the ECU will store the max rev, then only until you top this value the next time.

BTW, I found a Technical Note from HONDA concerning bend valves due to overrevs. Unfortunatly it's in german and also very bad quality (How can I attach a jpg-File?). It says that overrevs can be identified by the keepers-grooves (is it the right name in english?).