S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Benefits of Strut bars and X-brace?

Old 04-09-2001, 07:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whoa whoa .. easy guys

I think it's clear everyone has there own opinion here. I think I got the information I need.

I think the best bet would be to buy these devices, and put them through some real world testing (ie. strain gauges to test the loading). That would be the tell all ... if the strut bar or x-brace was experiencing any amount of stress, then they are doing *something* there.

- Relson
Old 04-09-2001, 08:28 AM

Originally posted by cdelena

I disagree and think that the car should have been delivered with the larger bar. I recommend to anyone who does more than cruise around and feel it would reduce the incidence of spins caused by drivers misjudging the impact of hard inputs.
I actually find the larger Mugen bar to make the car more twitchy. I've found that steering input needs to be lessened and much smoother or you can easily scrub the front tires. I could see the average driver actually loosing performance with this mod. Scott at King Motorsports told me the real reason to get this bar is to reduce dangerous oversteer at the limit. For people that never track or auto-x their car, this limit won't be seen very often or at all.

The stock bar is more forgiving to steering input and I'm almost certain this is why Honda shipped a smaller front bar with the car. For this reason I would never recommend this modification for everyone. In fact, for everyday street use I prefer the stock bar.

But for those that track, auto-x or frequently drive at the limit of the car, this is a viable option that probably adds to the safety of the car at the limit.
Old 04-09-2001, 10:18 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Relson
[B]Whoa whoa .. easy guys
Old 04-09-2001, 12:55 PM

I just PM'd you mingster ...

- Relson

Originally posted by mingster
if you can figure out a way to measure the stress load and how the x brace (my company's and the "other brand") cope with the load, then perhaps we can do a test? if not only the good o' buttometer can do, and that's pretty much based on the sensitivity and inclination of each butt. [/B]
Old 04-09-2001, 04:21 PM

Yeah fisch .. saw that one ... "sex with a rubber" is not quite the area of information I was looking for ...

Thanks for the post though ...
Old 04-09-2001, 07:13 PM
RT

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally posted by Mikey
Originally posted by cdelena

I disagree and think that the car should have been delivered with the larger bar. I recommend to anyone who does more than cruise around and feel it would reduce the incidence of spins caused by drivers misjudging the impact of hard inputs.
I actually find the larger Mugen bar to make the car more twitchy. I've found that steering input needs to be lessened and much smoother or you can easily scrub the front tires. I could see the average driver actually loosing performance with this mod. Scott at King Motorsports told me the real reason to get this bar is to reduce dangerous oversteer at the limit. For people that never track or auto-x their car, this limit won't be seen very often or at all.

The stock bar is more forgiving to steering input and I'm almost certain this is why Honda shipped a smaller front bar with the car. For this reason I would never recommend this modification for everyone. In fact, for everyday street use I prefer the stock bar.

But for those that track, auto-x or frequently drive at the limit of the car, this is a viable option that probably adds to the safety of the car at the limit.
Mikey, stiffer front bar is going to make the car "safer" no mater how you slice it (well 99.9% of the time). Might not make it handle "better" but it'll be "safer" in a Ralf Nader sort of way.
Old 04-09-2001, 07:26 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Malachi..first poster at four stars by providing the community nothing but the statement...."search".

No offense but why don't you answer some good questions here???
Old 04-09-2001, 07:27 PM

"Safer in a Ralph Nadar sort of way" mirrors my fellings pretty well. Understeer is always a lot safer than oversteer, but as the nascar boys say, loose (oversteer) is fast. I've never found the S2K to be especially loose on the street anyway.

If you want a car that understeers for safety, you should probably buy a front wheel drive car.

In fact one reason I think a lot of people love this mod is because it makes the S2K drive more like their FWD cars they've become used to. (Maybe it's different for me as I've never owned an FWD car.)
Old 04-17-2001, 08:24 PM

Here is my idea of what the X-brace is doing (and not doing):

It's doing nothing (or infinitesmal affect) on torsional rigidity. A bar has relatively less resistance to bending compared to compressing it from one end to the other. If you look down onto the X-frame forward of the firewall, you will see a rectangular shape. A rectangle or series of rectangles will provide less resistance to distortion if a force is applied to one edge than a triangle or series of triangles. The frame will flex when a large steering force is applied, distorting the rectangular shape to a parallelagram. If diagonal supports are added to the rectangle, than it will be able to hold the shape better. The Xbrace is providing that diagonal support.