S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Benefits of Strut bars and X-brace?

Old 04-08-2001, 07:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can someone expain why I would want a front strut bar and/or X-brace ??

- Relson
Old 04-08-2001, 07:17 PM

### BEGIN CANNED RESPONSE ###

if you search this board you will find numerous responses to this question.

if you had searched you would have found this, this or this among others.

search. know it. use it.

### END CANNED RESPONSE ###
Old 04-08-2001, 07:32 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by malachi
[B]### BEGIN CANNED RESPONSE ###

if you search this board you will find numerous responses to this question.
Old 04-08-2001, 07:57 PM

My bad, I should have been more specific. I have seen all/most of the posts that say "wow, this thing makes the car feel so much better through the turns" ...

The question I was getting at is more on the mechanical structures side of things. I am wondering what these two mods do to the car physically.

I am assuming that the X-brace adds torsional stabiliy to the chassis/unibody/whatever. I'm picturing in my mind taking a corner, and the front end of car "rolling" more than the rear. It would make sense that the X-brace would "flatten" the car out more around the turn, therefor providing more traction, etc. Am I even close here??

Does anyone have any numbers for the loading characteristics (stresses etc.) of the X-brace??

As far as the strut tower bar, I have no idea. I understand the concept of a sway bar, but I am not sure how connecting the tops of front suspension members helps. Is this once again to help the stability of the car (ie. deflection of the chassis during cornering)? I would not think the tops of the suspension members would tend to "come together" during driving, resulting in the need for something there to "keep them apart".

Would anyone care to provide some stresses that the strut bars are experiencing?? (I'm guessing there must be something happening there, or you wouldn't need the bar).

- Relson (once a mechanical engineer)
Old 04-09-2001, 04:42 AM

I think you have the idea on what they do. They just provide a means to make the frame/suspension more rigid. As for the actual numbers, you might want to check with Richard Ming (aka MINGSTER). He recently made his own X-bar and might have done some research on the competition.

FYI,
I didn't notice any difference when I bought the Comptech strut bar. However, I did notice a definate stiffer, more responsive feeling in the steering when I installed the X-brace. I have a gut feeling that the strut-bar/x-brace combo work best when used together. Since I haven't removed the Strut-bar after installing the X-brace, I can't be sure.

[Edited by joe_s2k on 04-09-2001 at 11:39 AM]
Old 04-09-2001, 05:53 AM

for 95% of the driving we do in the s2000,

xbraces, strut tower braces are all for looks, i think.
Old 04-09-2001, 05:57 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally posted by wasabe
for 95% of the driving we do in the s2000,
xbraces, strut tower braces are all for looks, i think.
Maybe for those of you that sit in traffic that is all it does. For those of us that drive they sharpen handling and reduce flex on rough roads. I suggest you refrain from answering questions regarding a piece if you have not tried it.
Old 04-09-2001, 06:39 AM

I think you're being a bit hard on him Chris. Most people with strut braces report little or no change in handling.

The X braces get better reviews but I've never seen a quantitative review of either. Comparing slalom times, etc... It's all "seat of the pants dyno".

I have the Mugen 31mm front bar but certainly wouldn't recommend it to everyone. In fact I'd only recommend it to those that track their cars.
Old 04-09-2001, 07:02 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mikey
[B]I think you're being a bit hard on him Chris.
Old 04-09-2001, 07:28 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by wasabe
[B] then i went ahead and stated that for 95% of the people out there, (who probably don't take their s2000's to the track) it's merely for looks (especially the stb).

Quick Reply: Benefits of Strut bars and X-brace?