S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

BBKs and Stock Master Cylinder

Old 01-16-2006, 09:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BBKs and Stock Master Cylinder

I had a question regarding all of these big brake kit upgrades so I figured I'd turn to all of you...

My question is... Is the stock master cylinder strong enough to provide adequate pressure to the larger calipers that come with the BBKs? I ask because technically speaking, the stock master cylinder was probably designed to be optimal for the stock brake system. However, when you get larger calipers, wouldn't they in turn need more power than the smaller stock calipers to apply adequate and proper pressure to clamp down?

I remember with my civic when I was trying to upgrade my stock brakes to integra brakes, I had to get the integra MC and proportioning valve. Granted the prop valve was probably just to ensure that the brake bias takes into account the change from rear drums to discs, but the integra MC was still necessary to get optimal braking out of the new setup.

Now I understand that anyone who gets BBKs immediately notices an improvement in braking performance...in terms of shorter braking distances; but have there been any tests to prove these sentiments? I know the larger rotors probably help on the track with brake fade, but what about actual braking power? I'm more interested to know whether a BBK with stock MC (are there even any "upgraded" MCs out there ) performs noticeably better than a stock brake system with upgraded pads (that are similar to pads that come with these BBKs) in a test that just measures a single stop rather than repeated stops.

Any input and responses would be appreciated...
Old 01-16-2006, 10:06 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 316 Likes on 149 Posts

BBK cannot reduce stopping distance of a single stop; this is dependent on the tires ONLY. BBK's only advantages are fade resistance, potentially lighter weight (if right materials used), and/or looks.
Old 01-16-2006, 11:20 AM

I have Wilwoods....BBK's generally do NOT decrease stopping distance. In fact many have slightly longer stopping distance. The main benefit(performance wise) is fade resistance, but it is possible to make stock pretty fade resistance too with the right pads/fluid.

Side benefits are better pedal feel, it felt odd at first but feels pretty good now. Also reduced weight of 10lbs per front wheel. Can't say for every company but wilwood(non 14inch rotor) and stoptechs don't screw with F/R bias. The others I have no idea...you'll need to look at piston diameters and I don't know if they are published for the JDM companies.
Old 01-17-2006, 10:16 AM

Hmm ok... Just one more question in that case... Would it be proper to assume that if somehow the MC could be enlarged or made more powerful that these larger calipers would be able to clamp down harder? And thereby increasing braking "power?"

I know tires are a major factor but I'm talking about assuming that tire grip/traction is high enough that its not a factor when comparing different setups...

Thanks again...
Old 01-17-2006, 11:34 AM

[QUOTE=BNavZ,Jan 17 2006, 11:16 AM]Hmm ok... Just one more question in that case... Would it be proper to assume that if somehow the MC could be enlarged or made more powerful that these larger calipers would be able to clamp down harder?
Old 01-17-2006, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by Race Miata,Jan 17 2006, 03:34 PM
The bigger the total piston area, the longer pedal stroke is required for the desired amount of piston travel. You don't increase the MC diameter for braking "power". In fact, the bigger the MC diameter, the stiffer the pedal. You increase it to compensate for the longer stroke required if bigger total piston area is used. I don't have experience with BBK for the S, but if the BBK doesn't change brake-bias like the other person mentioned, that mostly likely means the total piston area is not changed and therefore you don't need to change MC diameter.

No matter how sticky your tires are, tire grip is always a factor. If you can't lock up (or induce ABS) on any sticky tires with your original brakes while not faded, you have big problems in your braking system.
I see how it works now

Thanks for the info