S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Battery Update

Old 04-30-2012, 03:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery Update

Lots of information out there, but much of it is stale or incomplete. Since my battery died after 25 minutes of breaking in my speakers with only a Kenwood deck using built-in amp, I assume it's time for a new one. I plan on adding a 4-channel amp (likely Arc Audio) to power JL C-5's and a sub on the two bridged channels.

I would like to get a battery that will stand up to a 4-channel amp (600-800w), deal with Indiana winters, and not weigh much more than the OEM.

What I think I know/read online:

The S2000 is meant to use battery size 51.
There are no Optima Red batteries in the 51 size.
The Optima Yellow Top were once known as being excellent batteries. Since moving the manufacturing their quality is debatable.
The Optima Yellow Top 51 size had a massive defect at one point. Unknown if they are better now.
The Optima Yellow Top 51 have significantly lower specs for Amps and Cold Cranking amps, yet cost $70-100 more than most other batteries.
Other battery groups can fit in the S2000, supposedly group 93 is one of these.
Duralast, DieHard, and many other batteries are all made by Johnson Controls, and seem to be rated and perform about the same.
Kinetik and Stinger make batteries that are designed for 'big' audio system, both offer little guidance on sizing.
Exide also makes very good batteries, but are difficult to find and their 'sizing' guide is very poor and suggests that a 51 (no R) will fit the S2000.

On to the questions:
Are the Optima Yellow back to being great batteries?
Are the Optima Yellow better than the many Johnson Controls batteries that seem to be cheaper with better specs?
Is there an Optima Red that will fit the S2000 other than the discontinued 51?
What other sizes fit the S2000 without modification?
Any comment on the other brands, which model/size was purchased, and how they held up?

Thanks!
Old 04-30-2012, 03:55 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

51r is for a civic the terminals are backwards

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...7601_113190_0_

you want d51 I believe if memory serves
Old 05-01-2012, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by speedjunky01
51r is for a civic the terminals are backwards

you want d51 I believe if memory serves
Thanks! Updated the first post.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:30 AM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

You can use a 51R, you just have to lengthen the cable to be able to cross them.

For some reason, many manufactures have higher CCA and reserve capacity ratings for the 51R than for the 51.

Also, remember that the battery capacity is only of concern when you are running your audio system without the engine running. If the engine is running, your alternator is powering everything.

Lastly, if the amp you are putting in is one of the latest digital models (they are usually very small vs amps of the same rating made a few years back), it will be drawing far, far less power than older amps.

Ohhh....one more thing, although many batteries these days are made by the big 2-3 major manufactures, they definitely do not perform the same. See the latest Consumer Reports magazine tests.
Old 05-01-2012, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by davidc1
Ohhh....one more thing, although many batteries these days are made by the big 2-3 major manufactures, they definitely do not perform the same. See the latest Consumer Reports magazine tests.
Saw the CR ratings, and its strange that they have different ratings for the different brands of Johnson Controls batteries. Unfortunately none of their tests include the most common scenario for a RWD roadster: Sitting in a garage for an extended period of time. They also seem to test only traditional battery designs.

They may just be recommending the more expensive battery, but the local shops suggest the Optima's are best designed for holding a charge during idle periods.
Old 05-01-2012, 01:08 PM

when you say they may be recommending the most expensive battery are you talking about consumer reports magazine or somebody else? yes consumer reports usually doesn't estar size of battery either, but if your biggest concern is your car sitting for extended periods of time then just get a battery tender. my biggest concern is how quick will my battery go dead if I happen to leave my lights on. that's reserve capacity of course. so I ended up getting my battery from sam's club for about 65 dollars verses 100 dollars for most batteries elsewhere. it's labeled as an energizer but I don't really know who makes it actually.
Old 05-03-2012, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by davidc1
when you say they may be recommending the most expensive battery are you talking about consumer reports magazine or somebody else?
The local auto parts stores are recommending the Optima Yellow over traditional batteries, I hope they wouldn't recommend them if they have early failure rates. Advance had a 25% off coupon and I snagged the Optima Yellow for $127. Assuming they don't die early, $27 is likely worth the difference in weight compared to the Johnson Controls batteries that were available everywhere.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:37 PM

for what its worth. ive tested quite a few batteries at my job. every optima ive tested that was around 7-8 years old came back still good, going by the date on the battery. thats pretty amazing.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:07 PM

Honda has new batteries with more power. Same size instead of 410 cca they have 475 cca
Old 05-09-2012, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by downloader
Honda has new batteries with more power. Same size instead of 410 cca they have 475 cca
Good to know...although this doesn't directly relate to reserve capacity or at all to how long they just last.

Quick Reply: Battery Update