S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Battery Relocation

Old 11-01-2012, 07:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery Relocation

Ok, i hope this is the correct section to post this in. I recently relocated my battery to the rear of the car, and for some odd reason, it seems like the car battery dies quicker, or it takes a tad bit longer to start. I left the car at the paint shop for 2-3 weeks went and picked it up the other day, the car started with the first try, then i shut it off to check everything out, went back to start it and it wouldn't start. So once i started it, drove it home and shut it off. Went back out 10 min later to move it in the garage, again it wouldn't start. So i tried jumping it, still wouldn't start. Motor was turning over slowly, also i have the aem ems installed and im boosted. I took the battery to Advance auto parts to have it checked out, they said it was fine, just needed a charge. This is the second time i reloacted a battery in my S, i had the same problems with the 1st one also.

Any input/help would be greatly appreciated. Ive already charged the battery, will install it today and go from there.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:26 AM

I would check your wiring to make sure you don't have extra resistance through it. Also make sure the grounds are 100% good.
Old 11-01-2012, 10:16 AM

What do you mean make sure there isn't any extra resistance? Im going to double check the ground also.
Old 11-01-2012, 10:25 AM

If you have a multi-meter check the battery cables. I'm not sure on the specs of the onees your using but if they have any corrosion inside the casing that will increase the resistance which will not allow the battery to send the correct voltage to your starter.
Old 11-02-2012, 06:02 AM

Ok, well i checked everything out, seems like i had a bad ground. So i removed it and put it in another location. Fires right up. Ill try again tonight and see what happens. Thanks for the info guys.
Old 11-02-2012, 06:08 AM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Yup! Grounds are VERY important! Glad you figured it out.
Old 11-02-2012, 06:43 AM

Thats usually the culprit in any automotive battery issue, either that or fused plates.
Old 11-15-2012, 05:34 AM

Ok guys, i thought i fixed the issue until i drove the car back to the paint shop. The car started fine, everything worked, i drove the car about 45 min to the shop and cut it off, then let it sit for 2 min went back to start it, the battery was to weak to start the car. The battery was fully charged per advance autoparts, and it was a good battery. Im thinking the Alt is too weak, or the power wire needs to be thicker from the alt.. Any ideas whats going on? Im stumbled on this and thinking about putting the battery back in the original location if i can't figure this out soon. Any help/info is well appreciated.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:10 AM

take the car to autozone and have them do a power draw test for you. see what they say.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:40 AM

Moving the battery to the back shouldn't affect the performance of said battery. If you checked your wiring and it looks fine then I would guess it's your alternator that is causing the slow recharge issue. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Battery Relocation