S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Battery Relocation?

Old 12-22-2005, 08:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery Relocation?

I am interested in getting some info on moving my battery to the trunk. Where is the best ground back there? Do I have to cut a hole for the wire or is there an existing entry into the trunk from underneath the car?
Old 12-22-2005, 11:52 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

no need as the car is already balanced from the factory. Also the thick gauge wires you'll need to add will probably negate the point of doing this. Just get a light weight battery and call it a day. If you must relocate, you can relocate it to where the spare tire is at as you always want to do a cross weight balance.
Old 12-23-2005, 08:05 AM

Received 469 Likes on 400 Posts

No need for that;not enough torque.!!!
Old 12-23-2005, 08:30 AM

It's not weight balance he is worried about and or looking for, but more room in the engine bay.
Love Fab kit takes up some space.
Old 12-23-2005, 12:48 PM

Ya guys there's a nice turbo where the battery sits and I don't want to deal with 10-20' weather with a small battery.

That being said will this work:
Cut out the grommet behind the battery, run 2gauge wire into the cabin and into the trunk, then ground the battery to the sway bar mounts in the back?
Old 12-24-2005, 03:19 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My battery already is in the trunk! Oh wait ... that's the Miata .

If you relocate the battery, make sure that it's securely mounted, the ground is sufficient, and the positive cable is well insulated and protected wherever it runs through bodywork. Other than those, there's no reason why you can't do it.
Old 12-24-2005, 09:22 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, I relocated my battery to the trunk in the lower bin. I wanted to put it as low in the car as I can. I did it not because i had to with the lovefab kit, but just because I wanted more room up there. It makes my set-up look alot cleaner and not as cluttered up there. Plus I know i added some weight with the intercooler, turbo and all that piping so I figure by putting the battery in the trunk I can help put the car back to balance again. PM me if you have any questions!

J. R.
Old 12-24-2005, 09:47 AM

I would love to cut out the center foam insert and use it as a battery holder. I'm curious how you routed your positive wire? Any pics?
Old 12-24-2005, 10:23 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by folex187,Dec 24 2005, 12:47 PM
I would love to cut out the center foam insert and use it as a battery holder. I'm curious how you routed your positive wire? Any pics?
If you relocate it to your trunk, you either need to find a way to properly vent it or (better choice) order a dry cell battery (much lighter - used in a lot of race cars). The spare tire area is the best place to put it. It requires a lot less cable, but you'll need to build a custom battery tray. Don't worry about your spare ... I never carry one in my S2000. I've owned 12 cars in the past 22 years and I've had 4 flat tires. Two of those were because I was young and poor and drove on tires I had no business driving on.

As for your ground - get a good multi-meter (with some 10 foot custom cables - I made mine) and first compare the static resistance from your alternator ground to your stock battery ground. Then measure different points in your trunk with your alternator ground point. You want to see about the same resistance as stock - less is better though (if you can find a point with less resistance). Make sure you take into account the resistance of the multimeter cables. You want your resistance to be no more than 2 - 2.5 Ohms (don't forget to subtract your multimeter cables) otherwise you may start to get a lot of alternator whine in your stereo. 1-Ohm or a little over is optimum.
Old 12-24-2005, 10:36 PM

No spare for me either. Do the batteries really get that hot?

Quick Reply: Battery Relocation?