S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Battery problem.

Old 03-27-2021, 08:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation Battery problem.

In Jan I changed my battery with interstate 51r battery. Yesterday when I stalled the car twice and the battery died. Around 15mins later the battery start working again. Today it took 3-5 to start the car, after i drove it to somewhere. I stop the car, then I tried to turn on the car but the battery died again.
If anyone know how to fix it please let me know.
Thanks
Old 03-27-2021, 09:27 PM

Received 3,768 Likes on 2,658 Posts

Have the battery tested by a professional to determine if it is good Most auto parts shops will do that for free. That is the best way to tell.

It could be a couple things, either a heat related issue with the battery or a starter going bad slowly. Do you have your OEM heat shield in place in the engine bay, if the battery is getting too hot it could stop performing after driving. An aftermarket header can make the issue worse too.

It could also be your starter staring to go bad rather than the battery, usually a bad battery does not recover a few minutes later, unless it is a heat related issue. But a failing starter can be intermittent like that.
The following users liked this post:
Bay2k (03-28-2021)
Old 03-28-2021, 08:53 AM

Received 208 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by zeroptzero
Have the battery tested by a professional to determine if it is good Most auto parts shops will do that for free. That is the best way to tell.

Do you have your heat shield in place in the engine bay, it almost sounds like it is getting too hot and stops performing as it should. An aftermarket header can make it worse too.

It could also be your starter going bad rather than the battery, usually a bad battery does not recover a few minutes later, unless it is a heat issue.
Good suggestions. I noticed starting issues with a bad battery (3 plus years old) which I changed to a newer stronger one recently and its all good. I am tuned on AEM EMS 2 though and it apparently is more sensitive to voltage during starts and the fuel pump being an AEM 340 also needs strong voltage when priming.
Old 03-28-2021, 06:10 PM

Received 1,439 Likes on 1,071 Posts

Please elaborate on your definition of 'battery died'. When you turned on key, what did you see? Dash lit up like normal?

When you pressed starter, what happened? Any clicking? Engine rotated at all?

Please tell us what makes you realize its battery and not something else?